Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Opening Throat on Bushing Die

Boolit Buddy

Opening Throat on Bushing Die

I have a Redding bushing die that I need to open the diameter on just below where the bushing sits. I don’t think this is supposed to contact the brass anyway. Any ideas on the best way to open it up? Need about 0.005” all the way around.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like you need to call Redding customer service, all of my Redding bushing dies have plenty of room for the case neck to clear.

Banned
    Sounds like you are using a case in a die body it is not for.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-96 Hunter View Post
    Sounds like you are using a case in a die body it is not for.
    Yes, and the transition to the bushing is 0.005” too tight.

Boolit Master
    If your die body is not heat treated a standard reamer can be used in a lathe to open it up. After reaming the hole it would need to be deburred with 400 grit wet or dry paper wetted with a light oil.

If the die body is hardened so that a file cannot cut it the die will need to be lapped with a hardwood dowel and a coarse lapping compound.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

What actual size do you need? Which redding bushing die is it there is a full length die with neck bushing and a standard bushing die. They are tough material. Depending on size I would use a lathe and indicate the die in in a 4 jaw to dead zero. then with a boring bar bore it out to what was needed, I would use a carbide bar. one for use in a mill preferably solid carbide not a cemented chip on steel shank. The solid carbide bar is much stiffer in the small bars and wont chatter near as bad. They also don't have as much spring to deal with.

If it comes out to a common size then a carbide reamer or even end mill or drill can be used. If the lathe is available I would go the boring bar route simply because these tools arnt cheap and the boring bar will get more use than the end mill drill or reamer.

.005 on a side is .010 total on dia. With a lapp or hone its a lot to remove in that manner but can be done. For this the desired finish and the narrow surface I would turn a true brass lapp and use it over wood dowel wrapped with sand paper. A piece of brass turned to the dia and a taper pin hole reamed in the end. Tap a taper pin in to lightly expand and return to a straight surface. Charge with compound and insert make a few mins passes with low rpm high feeds back and forth. remove Tap pin in a little to expand dia and repeat clean and check size often. add oil or water ( depends on compound your using) and as you get closer to size go to finer grits.

Bushing Die

just below where the bushing sits.
    If you want the bushing lower in the die, its going to take more than a bigger hole.

Unless i don't understand what your trying to do?

243 to 308 may just need a bigger hole??

My bushing doesnt size all the way to the shoulder. If you open the hole and its off center, accuracy may be poor.

The unsized part of the neck, centers the round in the chamber.

I am sure you already know this, i hope.
    Last edited by 243winxb; 02-06-2018 at 04:01 PM. Reason: add more with photo

Boolit Buddy
    I am not trying to lower the bushing. Trying to open the diameter of the transition to the bushing. Currently working it with a tapered rod and compound.

Thanks for all the feedback.