Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Repackbox

Thread: .228 bullets

Boolit Buddy

.228 bullets

What's the best way to form .228 bullets? Do I need to make a die, or is there a way to bump up .224 bullets? Thanks, Dan

Banned
    Sounds like you have worn your barrel right out. Don't worry, they dont cost much, and are pretty easy to replace.

Boolit Master
    22 Hi Power?

Quote Originally Posted by MIBULLETS View Post
    22 Hi Power?
    Hell Yes!!
    If you had some quality dies for .228" you could have a cottage industry supplying bullets to 22HP owners.

Vendor Sponsor

Simple bump of .224 bullets in a .228 die and good to go.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Master
    Sounds like you are using one of the cartridges that use bullets of that diameter. There are one or two European ones as well as the Savage Hi-power.

I think you would need a die. I think a single die used in a powerful reloading press should be fine for modifying .224 bullets. I believe I could make my own. To make these bullets from scratch, the die sets from Corbin and others for swaging bullets from .22 rimfire cases should work fine, if they are available in that size. They aren't cheap, and need more than occasional use to make them worthwhile.

Banned

I don't swage, but do own a .22 High Power. Seems good jacketed bullets for this one are rare and there are a lot more of the rifles out there than one might guess. I think Huvius is right, a guy who could make good ones would do alright.

Boolit Master
    There are a few makers of these bullets, none cheap, but a lot cheaper than even reloading-press swaging.

https://www.huntingtons.com/store/pr...roductid=20091

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/shop/...-66gr-fb-solid (backordered)

http://www.sellier-bellot.cz/en/prod...nents/bullets/

https://www.summachsports.com/produc...ant=4756628161

https://magnumsports.com.au/17328.html

Some of these may be short on such a little used stock item. But with these and an online search for others, I think you only really need to make them if you really need to make them. You could also contact Corbins on http://www.corbins.com/index.htm , as they might be able to refer you to some custom bulletmaker they have supplied with the tooling, who is too small or too techno to advertise prominently.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the information. Yes, I have a rifle that takes .228 bullets. I've always made my own dies and figured I'd make a set for these, but it occurred to me that perhaps .224 could be bumped up to work, eliminating some of the steps.

I lapped out a Lee Bator mould. Gets me a bullet that casts about 52 grains and works best in my Harwood Hornet when I breech seat.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

I wonder if you could use several steps to bring .243 bullets down to .228?
    I size jacketed .357 bullets to .351 with a push though sizing die two or three sizes to make it for your size might be cheaper ?
    Next thing you would need to look at is IF a 6mm bullet in the weight you want would Perform at the speeds and on the target (if game) you want?
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

I could be done, but you end up with a loose core and accuracy would suffer.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Banned
    What kind of die will you make/use to "bump it up"? Won't you need a point forming die as well as a sizing die?

Boolit Master

I think I have most of a box of .228 bullets. I could be easily traded out of them. PM me and I'll check to make sure.

I use a standard .228 set to core seat and then point form. I would not think it would be too hard to use just the PF die and bump up a .224, but if I were drawing down from a .243 I'd definitely bump it back up in a .228, then again if you are going to go to the expense of making or having made dies to draw a .243 down I'd wager you to be money ahead and just make them right off as .228 from the get go.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Boolit Master

Reed1911 i get 1 inch 50 yard groups from my Winchester 1907 with iron sights using .357 bullets sized to .351 . That is not bad for a semiautomatic rifle made in 1916 .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

As a few gents here are wont to say Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV)

.351 from .357 is a whole lot different than .243 to .228. Not only is it a .007" difference vs. a .015" difference, it is a 1.7% draw vs 6% draw. As well as small high velocity bullet react much different to sizing than do larger and slower bullets. The cost is another factor, you would need more dies than just the one it takes to draw down from .357 to .351.

In other words, I'm not trying to tell you it will not work, but generally bullets sized down that much have accuracy issues. More so at longer ranges, but the 351 WSL is not a long range cartridge so 50-100 yds is entirely appropriate. Good groups.
    Last edited by reed1911; 03-13-2018 at 03:27 AM.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Boolit Master

Is this the wrong time and place to admit I have moulds for .228?
    I believe NOE has .228 moulds.

I just checked. NOE is very well stocked with a great assortment of 228 moulds. Look under .224 and then scroll down to the 228 moulds.
    Last edited by BrassMagnet; 04-30-2018 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Verified large in stock selection at NOE.