MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading Everything

Thread: Winchester 1894 .32 Special button mag-hate when I see a gun I can't buy

Boolit Master

Winchester 1894 .32 Special button mag-hate when I see a gun I can't buy

My local gun shop has a Winchester 1894 rifle in .32 Special, back when I was collecting 1894's I never could find one I wanted or liked. They have one that is a factory button mag with the crescent buttplate. It doesn't have the smokeless sight, has a round barrel and was made in 1907 and other than some worn finish is all original. The wood is nice, no cracks, some wear but nothing more than a good looking gun. They want $900, a lot cheaper than I have seen them lately, and for a button mag gun which can bring a few extra dollars, might be a bit low.
    I don't have anything to trade at the moment, at least nothing I want to part with, but boy what a nice old rifle. Not knowing what my taxes are going to look like, layaway is out of the question. Don't you hate it when you see a nice gun and can't do much about it?
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Boolit Master
    set up a payment plan.

Boolit Master
    Got it.
    Last edited by cwtebay; 02-03-2018 at 10:01 PM.

Boolit Master

What does the bore look like? A rusted up/pitted bore would drive price down.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by largom View Post
    What does the bore look like? A rusted up/pitted bore would drive price down.
    The bore is actually pretty nice, I know from what I have read because of the rate of twist of the early .32 Special rifles, more than a few were shot out or worn down. This one is still pretty nice, begging for cast bullets.

Boolit Mold
    Brother, I feel your pain.

Today at a gun show I came across somebody walking the aisles carrying one of my grail guns, a Winchester Model 71. Sure, it had been refinished, but it had been done better than most refinish jobs you see.
    And he was selling at what was a ridiculously low price.
    And he offered me a partial trade for a gun I was carrying around to sell.
    And that was an even better deal!
    But, alas, I chose to retire early in my life and I made the choice then knowing I would live I with a limited gun buying budget from then on and I had to let that 71 get away.

Knowing there are deals like that still out there does take some of the sting out of the experience.

Boolit Master
    Yes, Yes, Yes-- 32 Winchester Special is soooooooo nice with cast! If it was me I'd find a way to get it.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    Yes, Yes, Yes-- 32 Winchester Special is soooooooo nice with cast!
    Good to hear! bought min for exactly that purpose...

Boolit Buddy
    They are a 1-16" twist are they not?

Banned

I pawn shop rescued an old Marlin in .32 Special a few years ago. Would have jumped on it faster had it been a .30-30 since I didn't load for the .32, but wasn't gonna pass on a waffle top for the asking price. It took some TLC and I had to replace the stock, but it is a good shooter with cast and easy to get deer hunting level loads with. I killed a small doe with it a couple of years ago during our rifle season and was impressed by the terminal performance of cast in it, seemed better than similar .30 caliber loadings I've used.

My oldest son picked up a '94 in .32 Special a while back and we haven't done much with it, guess I'll have to get after that one soon. I don't know what year Winchester quit making the '94 in .32 Special, but this one obviously is not a pre-'64 one, but still a good rifle nonetheless.

Boolit Master

So David, I see you're not telling where this "local gun shop" is.
    Whatsa matter? Don't trust your old buddies here at Castboolits?

Quote Originally Posted by David LaPell View Post
    My local gun shop has a Winchester 1894 rifle in .32 Special, back when I was collecting 1894's I never could find one I wanted or liked. They have one that is a factory button mag with the crescent buttplate. It doesn't have the smokeless sight, has a round barrel and was made in 1907 and other than some worn finish is all original. The wood is nice, no cracks, some wear but nothing more than a good looking gun. They want $900, a lot cheaper than I have seen them lately, and for a button mag gun which can bring a few extra dollars, might be a bit low.
    I don't have anything to trade at the moment, at least nothing I want to part with, but boy what a nice old rifle. Not knowing what my taxes are going to look like, layaway is out of the question. Don't you hate it when you see a nice gun and can't do much about it?
    WoW I have that 32 Special on my wall !! They are worth getting! In the very early years of production the 32WS is low production ....they are worth it!!!
    Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    So David, I see you're not telling where this "local gun shop" is.
    Whatsa matter? Don't trust your old buddies here at Castboolits?
    I'll tell ya! If you buy it before I do, it will help remove the temptation from my path! Believe me I have been going through the house the last day or so seeing what I don't need and can sell. The dog is lucky she's friendly and my son is lucky it's not legal to rent him out for work! I would have to pay damages if I got someone to take the wife because they would bring her right back.

Quote Originally Posted by David LaPell View Post
    I'll tell ya! If you buy it before I do, it will help remove the temptation from my path! Believe me I have been going through the house the last day or so seeing what I don't need and can sell. The dog is lucky she's friendly and my son is lucky it's not legal to rent him out for work! I would have to pay damages if I got someone to take the wife because they would bring her right back.
    Hahaha to bad you didn't have a talking Parrot !! It could fly home and you could resell it again ...When I'm shopping winchester 1894s as long as they
    are 1900 and older I go NUTS to find the cash!!!!!!

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !