Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with type 38 Arisaka

Boolit Master

I have an old 6.5 Japanese that I've had for decades. It has the same problem. I found if I did the tape trick on the first firing the bulge was more concentric and en empty would rechamber, but the bulge was still so bad there was no real way to neck size only.

The way I got around it was one day at a gun show I found an old set of "6.5/308 Win" RCBS custom dies for $10. Adjusted properly, these worked fine to neck size.

220 Swift brass (if you can find it) can be made into 6.5 Jap
    I made a few 6.5s out of 220 brass back in the day, before obscure brass was as readily available as it is now. The only problem with the converted brass is that it bulges just the same.

I solved the chamber & brass issue on my bubba'd 38 6.5 by running a 22-250 reamer by hand into it. After that I neck sized 26-250's in a shortened 6.5 RM die. The accuracy was about 4" so I had it rebarreled. It probably would have worked with cast but I was clueless then. I wonder if a 6.5 Creedmore reamer would clean out the 6.5 Jap chamber? I'm talking cut down ground mum examples of course.

Boolit Master
    My thoughts are that the 6.5 Creedmoor is 6.5x48.8 case size whereas the 6.5x50R Arisaka is just a little longer. But the Creedmoor case base is .4703" and the Arisaka case base is a little smaller at .447". Thus you may need to open up the bolt face a little. So I am not sure that we can use a chamber reamer on it. Now I sure had thought about doing it. it might be interesting to try though. I need to check the rest of cartridge dimensions more closely though too.

Maybe the old 6.5x.257 Roberts still looks to be a good way to go for redoing the chambering. Or maybe the .260 Remington (AKA 6.5-308) or the 6.5x55 Swede is the way to go and thus some extra room there for clearing out the chamber. Since they used some really long 6.5mm bullets with the Arisakas there ought to be room in the magazine to use the extra long bullets still too. The action is plenty strong enough to handle them.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 02-18-2018 at 12:36 AM. Reason: typo correction

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12