RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Opinions on Rimfire Thickness Gauge

Boolit Bub

Opinions on Rimfire Thickness Gauge

Anyone using these and what are the results from side by side testing (sorted vs. unsorted), at day. . . 100 yards.

Boolit Grand Master

I built one about 20 years ago and tested it with various ammo. It made the most difference with cheapo ammo and the least with Eley Match ammo, but there was a difference. IIRR with 10 shot groups at 100 yards from a bench rest with cheap ammo there was about 1/2" difference and with match ammo about 1/2 that and the match ammo was much more consistant with rim thickness. The other difference was that the bolt gun showed the difference better than the 10-22 match rifle.

If I were a dead serious bullseye shooter I would do my rims into lots but for the average joe shooting ground squirrels I wouldn't bother. BTW the 10-22 match rifle shot on a windless day 3/4" groups at 100 yards with FEDERAL ammo...better than Remington match!

Super Moderator Emeritus
    I use one on my match rifles

Boolit Grand Master

I have used them with my target rifles and found them to be a usefull tool. Another usefull tool is the chronograph and testing ammo. I have found that gaged ammo from the same lot is more consistant than ungagged is. My theory idea is that since the rim holds the priming compound and brass thickness is consistant the rim holds the compound is a more consistant form and ignition is more consistant due to the gap and compounds placement.

Boolit Master
    I shot a lot of silhouette back in the 1990's, and I was very successful at it. I shot a lot of 40x40s, 60x60s, and shot International Class in all five classes of IHMSA silhouette. I tried everything I could think of to improve my game and give me a winning edge. I tried a case rim thickness gage and my experience was that other than giving me something to do to entertain myself, it didn't do anything to improve my groups even minutely. I gave up on it and moved on.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Bullet diameter is MUCH more important than rim thickness.

Select lots of ammo having the largest bullet diameter or just buy Eley. Only AFTER you have found ammo with bullets larger than .2245" diameter, THEN sorting by rim thickness helps.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I have done it and still have a Freeland gage. Probably won't be doing it in the future. The only way I would even consider it is if the match entry fee was sky high but I'm to old and shaky for that anymore. Not worth the time with today's manufacturing.

Boolit Master
    Select lots of ammo having the largest bullet diameter or just buy Eley.
    I used Eley Std. Vel. as my ammo of choice back then. It was simply head and shoulders above everything else back then.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    I used Eley Std. Vel. as my ammo of choice back then. It was simply head and shoulders above everything else back then.
    Still is!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I once sorted a few thousand of Federal's mid-grade Gold Medal by cartridge weight and rim thickness for a four-man team prior to their departing for a major match so that each member had a brick that was highly consistent. Didn't really get to compare before and after - it was the ammo we had, and we had to make the most of it. They did come home with a nice stack of medals shooting against folks with arguably better gear and better (by price anyway) ammo. How much of that comes down to my actions - - hard to say, but it certainly didn't hurt.

My attitude after the experience is that, if time is money, it's cheaper to buy any of the higher grades of Eley with the EPS bullet, or some of the other high-end exotics than it is to beat your body into ruin trying to sew silk purses out of sow's ears. Applying maximum O.C.D. to minimum spec ammo will make you old. Determine the purpose and buy accordingly. But if you're playing in the no-kidding, for-real Olympics, buy the Eley AND sort it!
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Heck, we used to use Blazers from CCI. Cheapest lead bullet hv ammo at the time. Sure was loud indoors on Steel plate! Used Mossberg 144’s. I used to shoot the thumbtacks holding up the target next to me just as they were about to pop a cap. My fun ran out when the thumbtacks did. Tape is not as fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk