Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Old School DA Revolver Field Cleaning Kit - FLETC Style

over the hill, out in the woods and far away

Old School DA Revolver Field Cleaning Kit - FLETC Style

Old School DA Revolver Field Cleaning Kit - Rev3- 7 Feb 2018

Thanks to FBI Academy and FLETC instructor cadre who have offered their most recent edits and suggestions, which are now incorporated here:

This is an email I wrote responding to a youngster who inherited his Dad's old "cop gun" who asked what he needed for routine cleaning. I thought my reply would be of general interest so am starting a new thread here. While this list is oriented towards an S&W revolver, it works with Colts, Rugers or auto pistols with few gun-specific mods being required.

-------------- Original query deleted to protect privacy of the innocent -------------

I was taught old school revolver and dislike aerosols, so I don’t use them. Their propellant causes moisture condensation on the gun, they are expensive for the amount of product and waste far too much in product in dispensing.

For general cleaning and lubrication I like Kano Kroil https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleani...-prod7610.aspx or Ed's Red. If you don't want to mix your own, buy it already blended professionally from Brownell's. 083-150-001WB 4 oz. "Ed's Red" Bore Cleaner https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleani...prod19936.aspx

Avoid storing a pistol or revolver revolver wrapped in any cotton cloth, because it attracts moisture. I use these to wipe guns carried as EDC daily, and to wrap them up after cleaning and before casing to secure in locked container for travel or longer term storage:

Don’t store a pistol or revolver long term in its leather holster either, because doing so causes corrosion. If not carrying and wiping your handgun daily as EDC I store small revolvers or pocket auto in the larger pouch and field cleaning gear in the small one:

https://countycomm.com/collections/v...ro-fiber-cloth

Recommended field cleaning gear to keep in the small pouch:
    https://countycomm.com/collections/v...hes-by-maratac

Dewey 4” loop brass pistol rod, Brownell’s 234-000-070WB
    Brass loop patch holder .38 cal. Brownell’s 084-000-217WB
    Dewey COTTON bore mops for CLEANING/WIPING, .38 cal. pk. Of 3 749-000-168WB, used for quick field clean without using patches. Use one mop to wet bore before brushing. Avoids dipping a dirty brush into the bore cleaner and contaminating it. Use the wet cotton mop again to remove loosened crud after brushing, and use a different dry mop to soak up excess solvent before oiling the gun and putting away.

Brownell’s double-tuff bore brush .38 cal. pack of 3 084-142-137WB
    Brownell’s WOOL bore mops for OILING .38 cal. pk. Of 3 084-415-037WB
    Brownell’s gun parts cleaning brush 676-450-001WB
    Or travel toothbrush https://countycomm.com/collections/v...vel-toothbrush

Brownell’s S&W revolver screwdriver bits only combo pack 080-087-002WB
    Brownell’s Compact Magnetic LE screwdriver handle 080-089-006WB
    Brownell’s needle oilers 3 pk. 084-000-361WB, allocated as below:

Bottle 1 - Kroil or Ed’s Red bore cleaner – ID by RED color when filled,
    Bottle 2 - USP H1 food grade mineral oil for lubrication - ID easily because contents are CLEAR
    Bottle 3 - Isopropyl alcohol to rinse mops and brushes after each use. The "crud" falls to the bottom and will stay there. The implement dries quickly and is ready to go for the next range cleaning session. Alcohol is cheap (about a buck for a bottle), and it takes a while for the alcohol to foul to the point where it needs to be replaced. You will notice that brushes and mops last a lot longer using this process.

Alternately some people use clear mineral spirits in the extra bottle before washing them with hot soapy water in the motel sink if out on the road. This gets the implements cleaner, but they take longer to dry. But professional armorer's advice is to ALWAYS clean used mops for a cleaner gun!

Some people use a .40 cal. NYLON heavy-duty bore brush (Brownell's 084-444-017WB
    .40/.41/10mm Pistol, 3 Pk) just for cleaning .38/.357 revolver CHAMBERS. This is a good idea when firing more than 100 rounds of wadcutter ammo between cleanings. The nylon .40 cal. brush can be used as expedient bore brush without harm. If firing .38 Special wadcutters in a revolver with .357 chambers (Brownell's stainless steel CHAMBER brush 084-455-137WB .38/.357 per 3) does a better job of removing lead deposits from .357 CHAMBERS after firing .38 wadcutters, but SHOULD NOT BE USED IN THE BORE!

Norton UCS plastic scraper/cleaning stick, is non-scratching and great for getting encrusted fouling out of the nooks and crannies around the revolver barrel extension, the frame window or auto pistol slide face. MUCH better than the sharpened wooden Popsicle sticks we used to use in my time! https://countycomm.com/collections/v...cleaning-stick

For routine lubrication I use only ordinary USDA H1 rated pure USP mineral oil from the drug store, applied with patch, toothpick, Q-tip or eye dropper. Good read on subject. Most "gun lubes" are expensive "snake oil".

http://www.grantcunningham.com/2012/...-on-your-guns/

Edited to fix "bad" link.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 09-23-2018 at 04:45 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Moderator Emeritus

Too many times we see someone dipping their bronze brush in copper cutter to clean a gun. Nicely written.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

As with the previous article on revolver inspection, I'd welcome learned comments and suggestions from retired police firearms instructors and academy cadre, particularly from the Marine Embassy Guard School, FBI National Academy, FLETC or large municipal departments like NYPD, LAPD, Texas DPS or others, who taught their agents, officers and troopers to carry A REVOLVER during their career.

It would also be helpful for somebody with current military or law enforcement experience to write a parallel article on the selection and use of items for an EDC autopistol field kit, if they have specific additions, edits or suggestions based on their organization or agency training, experience and doctrine, which differ importantly from the above.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned

Watching this thread

Boolit Master
    Interesting post. Love it!

Banned
    Attachment 213558Attachment 213559

I have a bench set up for cleaning all of my firearms but maintain a separate "field" kit for my 38 Special revolvers.

For clarity the 1st photo shows the bottle and can for the Clenzoil and Kroil but those large cans stay at home. The small oiler (aluminum) contains the Clenzoil and the small plastic bottle contains the Kroil for the kit.

A basic double ended brush, short cleaning rod, jag, eye and bore brush complete the cleaning tools.
    The handle on that particular cleaning rod swivels but can be locked so that it becomes non-rotating. A basic brass cleaning rod with a loop handle would work just as well.

The patches are cut from an old dress shirt as needed and the red shop rag is just a general rag for wiping everything down as needed.

Everything is carried in a small nylon tool bag. The associated range bag contains: a brass hammer, brass punch, squib rod, hockey puck with hole drilled through it (poor mans bench block ) and screwdriver with bits appropriate for S&W.

I've been looking for a canvas tool roll to hold the items but haven't been able to find a suitable one.

The supplies and tools at home are far more extensive but that simple field kit will keep your 38 DA revolver up and running.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 02-07-2018 at 09:46 AM.

Boolit Master

Good Info! None of the links in your post work for me. I'm assuming you included them because they were relevant.
    Last edited by alamogunr; 02-07-2018 at 11:22 AM.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm going to assemble a variant of this setup. I want to start with a brass 22 cal rod and include jags, patches, brushes and mops for 22, 32, 38/9mm and 44/45 so I can clean any of the pistols or revolvers I will have been likely to have fired and need to clean. I'm a strong believer in building field kits that stay complete and ready to use, so little bottles of oil, solvent, etc, precut patches in little packages, a container for keeping the jags, brushes and mops clean and sorted, and I'll be good to go.

Regards,
    Your 'Phibian Phriend
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    Good Info! None of the links in your post work for me. I'm assuming you included them because they were relevant.
    I reloaded the links on last rev. should work now.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Yes! They now work. I'm going to be making an order to CountyCom soon.
    Thanks
    John
    W.TN