Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision

Thread: anyone here have a sig sauer romeo 5

Banned

anyone here have a sig sauer romeo 5

Just got one. I'm wondering what you think of yours and how its held up. Seems to be a pretty impressive redot for a 180 bucks. Once you turn it on it will go to sleep 2 minutes laying motionless and turn back on with even the lightest touch or movement. It would be great for a self defense home gun. You can leave it on indefinitely and it will sit there sleeping until you grab the gun in the middle of the night. Anohter cool thing is this model uses aaa batterys which a guy can find about anywhere. Dot nice and clear too. Not all fuzzy like my vortex red dots. Saw some on line testing of torturing them and they seem to be a pretty rugged unit. No there not a American made aimpoint but then there not 600 bucks either. Ive got a couple aimpoints from back when I was working and price didn't matter so much.

Boolit Grand Master
    Lloyd, how big is the dot (2 MOA ? 4 MOA? etc.)?

Banned

I believe its 2moa.

I recently bought one of their Tango scopes and put it on a .260 Remington. Features and optical clarity are very nice. I haven't fully tested out its tracking or ability to hold a zero. So far, in my limited play time with it, initial impression is positive and it appears to be a good value.

Banned

I took a look and it is a 2moa.

Boolit Buddy
    On the 3A model, where is the battery installed? Does it still have the disk type battery receptacle on the left side?

Can't tell from pictures or Sig Saurer description.

Banned

don't know the answer for you. the romeo 5 I have uses a AAA battery that goes in the area of the riser. they also have a romeo 5 model that has a coin battery in the right side of the barrel.

Banned
    Lloyd, I agree it would be a great red dot. I won't however go for anything that would give away your position if used for home defense. A light or a red or green dot gives someone your position and makes you a target. Granted someone with your experience the person would have to be very fast getting off a shot before you tagged them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Optics Planet has the coin battery model for $150. The description says the battery will last 50,000 hours! Many positive reviews. Might be worth looking at for one of my AR’s.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Lloyd

What I am asking is: Does the AAA model still have the coin battery receptacle and cap on the side of the tube? Or is the tube made without the coin battery installation receptacle on the AAA model? Sounds like the AAA model has a smooth tube.

dvor.com has the coin battery type for $135.

Thanks Vernm
    Last edited by vernm; 02-05-2018 at 12:44 PM.

Banned

I got the AAA model for a 180 bucks from optics planet. I guess I figured if shtf batterys would be easier to find but Ive got a few redots that take coin batterys anyway and allways keep some on hand. Seems the battery life for either model is about the same. battery life is rated at 50000 hours not because the sight can stay lit that long like an aimpoint but because it shuts itself down after two minutes to save.
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Optics Planet has the coin battery model for $150. The description says the battery will last 50,000 hours! Many positive reviews. Might be worth looking at for one of my AR’s.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Lloyd, I agree it would be a great red dot. I won't however go for anything that would give away your position if used for home defense. A light or a red or green dot gives someone your position and makes you a target. Granted someone with your experience the person would have to be very fast getting off a shot before you tagged them.
    I guess I don't worry about that. chances are if I hear noise in the house when I'm sleeping I'm coming out with a flashlight either on my gun or in my hand anyway. My first gun to grab is a 12 gauge loaded with buck that has a flashlight on it. I doubt id ever grab an ar15 unless I knew I was going outdoors. At in the house ranges NOTHING beats a 12 gauge with buck. To me rifles are an outdoor thing and handguns are just there in case it happens so fast that I cant get out of bed and get to the shotgun.

Boolit Bub
    I have a Sig Romeo5 on my mpx. I bought it about the same time as my Vortex SparcAR. I prefer the romeo more, as I like the button location and the auto off feature. I've had mine almost a year, and it is holding up great. I know 9mm isn't much recoil, but I bet I have 1500rds through this setup so far.

Banned

I bought my romeo for the same reasons over the sparcAR. Mostly due to battery life because of the auto shut off. What is interesting is the new vortex crossfire red dot. Its suppose to have as much battery life as a romeo or aimpoint comp3 left on all the time batterys are suppose to last like 5 years and it sells for about 50 bucks less then the romeo and you can buy 4 of them for the price of an aimpoint. When I bought my two aimpoints (for big bucks) it was because of batter life. Yes they may be a bit more rugged but my vortex sparc and strike fire have worked flawlessly for over 5 years and for that matter ive never even broke a trs25 bushnell. No way id step up to an aimpoint today. they've stood still while the rest of the contenders have taken giant leaps. The crossfire might even make the most sense. At a 150 bucks with 5 year battery life, lifetime warrantee and the fact that it doesn't have an auto shut off feature that might some day fail and doesn't need on.