WidenersRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Indoor range lead

Boolit Bub

Thanks to all who responded, there is a lot of good information in the posts. Maybe I can negotiate a good price and have a steady supply if it all works out.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Youngtimer View Post
    Think I will need to get my hands on a few hundred pounds and give it a try to see what the return is (labor and cost) compared to WW.
    It would be interesting to know the % of the yield. I use mostly wheel weights and the clips do add up.

I've been smelting down indoor range scrap with good results. About 3/4 ton so far. I buy 5 gal buckets for $50 each, about 110 lbs, no freight or tax, and get about 90 lbs of ingots from each. It takes about $3-4 worth of propane per bucket and I sell the jackets to a scrap yard for $.65/lb. I've traded some back to the range for more scrap, 50 lbs of ingots per bucket of scrap and he sells the ingots for $1.50 Lb.
    So that all adds up to less than $.50 per lb for ingots. I've had 3 batches analyzed by BNE on this forum and they are remarkably consistent, 98.5% Pb and 1.5% Sb, no Sn to speak of.
    What I like is that it is very clean to begin with. No dirt, no zinc, dry, no razor blades, no sorting at all. I HAVE found two live 22LR rounds so far so I diligently watch what I add to the melt. Safety gear always used!
    The alloy casts fine as is for handgun loads and is a good consistent starting point to harden up for more powerful loads.
    C Scott

Boolit Man
    This is some great info! I talked to a guy last night that sells 14lb. ingots of range lead for $1 per pound. He is able to process (melt) about 3000lbs in a batch. After cleaning up WWs I decided his lead was a much better way to go. Just started casting 1 week ago and I find it addicting. Been reloading for 35+ years so this seems to make it a little bit more fun!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12