WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: SAFETY WARNING to people who load for .500 S&W Magnum!

Very interesting thread, has I’ve been playing around with those 700 gr behemoth boolits I’ve been caring for my .500 on top of 26 grs of H110.

John Ross - I know this is an old thread, but any updates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you John for the heads up.
    Steve
    Last edited by S.B.; 02-27-2022 at 06:26 AM.
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Master

First of all I don’t go anywhere close to QL! I’d rather use data from a comic book considering the cost and big margin of error. Second, S&W clearly does NOT endorse reloads for their firearms! Now you may have talked to just the right person but I’ve corresponded several times getting the same answer over and over. Not trying to be a sour puss but reloading for this cannon is an art in itself!

The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    First of all I don’t go anywhere close to QL! I’d rather use data from a comic book considering the cost and big margin of error. Second, S&W clearly does NOT endorse reloads for their firearms! Now you may have talked to just the right person but I’ve corresponded several times getting the same answer over and over. Not trying to be a sour puss but reloading for this cannon is an art in itself!

Doesn't sound like you're much of a handloader IMHO?
    Steve
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Master

I haven’t reloaded for 50
    Years like you but yes, I am and I load for 29 calibers with much success. I make my own “smokeless “ and “BP”, I reload primers, cast with 63 different molds and I’m currently working on a fuel to burn in my truck that’s a lot cheaper than buying gas at the station. So no, I wouldn’t write anything off that I thought was useful. I don’t spend a lot of time in the “waiting room” or “slow lane”. Nevertheless, I do credit this site and many pro’s on here for getting me where I’m at (with the reloading anyway).

You actually reload primers, how cost effective is that?
    Steve
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Grand Master
    Off topic, but at times like these, when primers cannot be had for love or money, the ability to reload them is a very useful skill to have. It might not be as swift as placing a dozen Benjamins on the counter and strolling down the high way with a sleeve of SP under your arms, but for those of us not encumbered by excessively fat wallets, being able to replace our spent primers at the coast of a few dollars and a bit of time is a pleasant thing to contemplate.

On topic, I see that Hodgdon still lists the same information cited in the OP's first writings.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    I just took a brand new case that has been through a sizing die primed with used primer and filled to top of case with 1680 , tapped case to settle, filled again then weighed powder on balance beam scale, came to 68.6 grains of powder.

As said above-
    Quickload may be the problem.
    I have read online, QL doesnt work well with straight walled pistol cases.

After reading this, i dont need QL. https://www.accurateshooter.com/gear...ckload-review/

Old review at link.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    You actually reload primers, how cost effective is that?
    Steve
    Grant it, it’s somewhat time consuming but once you get a system down it’s very rewarding, therapeutic and you get very close/consistent results to commercial primers. Once you understand the basics and pay attention to the weights and measures, you’ll be happy to see you’re no longer dependent on “monopolies”! For the record, I apologize about first post- didn’t mean to come off like that.

This seems a LOT of tither over something that is being speculated on.

I Have a 500 Linebaugh Long. This it can be argued is a reincarnation of the 500 Super Mag (think this was Lee Juras creation circa 1970s).
    Take a look at case dimensions. It IS what S&W copied, reduced bullet diameter 0.012", and then jacked the operating pressure to nearly double to make the 500 S&W.

The 500 Linebaugh Long is a 30,000 psi Max gun.
    I have run mine w/ 436 gr LBT WFN, Federal 155, 46 gr WC680, and get 1325-1400 fps. Statistical spread, ambient temperature, etc explains variance. It is a max load, but it is a 30K psi gun.
    It most certainly is not grossly compressed. It most Certainly is no 100K+ psi load. It IS a ~ 30K psi load.

This load I use and has been pressure tested by/for Linebaugh is a virtual duplicate of the 500 S&W, 440 Cast, 47.5 gr Accurate 1680, "dangerous load" that would supposedly make 182,900 psi.

Somebody here is in a tither about something that they know little about, and it seems that there is also a lot of speculation about what Western did wrong with a drunken technician or secretary.

Sad. Little facts, seemingly little experience, and lots of terror.

Boolit Master
    This thread was started based on using QL without ensuring that the program had the correct case capacity. I have QL and adjusted the default case capacity until it matched the case capacity in 1680 as measured. With case capacity corrected, results became much more reasonable and nothing to cause concern.

It does serve as a warning to QL users on making sure inputs and default values are correct. I have had a similar problem evaluating Lil Gun in 357 Max.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234