WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W Mod 28 Highway patrolman

Boolit Master
    I really love the model 28's! Bought a NIB 4" in 1967 or 68 for $93 in Sherman, Texas when I was in the service & I shot a whole bunch of Keith bullets out of it using 38 special brass. Had a set of Herretts stocks on it & turtle's, frogs, rabbits, snakes, armadillos, alligator gar, carp, possums, raccoons, badgers, rock chucks, ground squirrels & one fox hated it! The raccoon almost got me before I got him!

Dick

Boolit Master

Love the guns
    I use the J frames in 2 inch
    the K frames in 4 inch
    and the N frames in 6 or 6 1/2 inch
    What fun
    Mike

p.s. mostly
    The K-22 and K-22 Mags, and the K-22 K-Chuck have 6 inch barrels
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

I'd shoot it. A lot!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Had a buddy that had one, shot great for me, not for him lol. He's always been recoil shy though. Still regret not buying it from him when he sold it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    He who hesitates is lost! I've experienced that very thing.
    Agree 100% I've stepped away from gun show finds, gone back a short time later and it's gone.

Boolit Master
    Hey, Smith M24’s come out with oversized cylinder throats and shallow lands and grooves. Custom Clements or Stroh make a .44 revolver unlike what a factory can produce. Like one ‘smith said: Nothing is straight on a Smith. I’ve shot a custom M28 converted to .44 Special. Custom quality is superior to factory products.

Boolit Bub
    Shoot it! That way you can perform an operational test and make sure it working correctly, plus, you need to find it's favorite load.

Boolit Master
    I think I really do have it's twin. Mine is an unfired 28-2 S prefix in it's original box, wrapping paper and tool kit. I have often wanted to shoot it but I just always seem to grab something else that's already broken in. Have a 4" that in as new condition too but no box.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RT2_1565.jpg  

I don't buy guns for an investment. I buy them to shoot.
    They were built to go bang so I use them that way.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I don't buy guns for an investment. I buy them to shoot.
    They were built to go bang so I use them that way.
    When I started out back in early 60s, everything I bought or traded was for hunting. I cared not
    about NIBs, boxes cases and such. When I started slowing down on hunting I somehow slipped
    into "collecting" and target shooting. Just recently I decided to off the safe queens, If I can't
    shoot it why keep them. I'm not going to pull the trigger on a NIB when I have shooters in same
    gun. They are solid investment but everything tops out. I think a lot of guys are buying NIBs
    because interest on savings is so low that buying these NIB safe queens is a better deal than
    putting money in the bank.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Jack Hammer View Post
    Hey, Smith M24’s come out with oversized cylinder throats and shallow lands and grooves. Custom Clements or Stroh make a .44 revolver unlike what a factory can produce. Like one ‘smith said: Nothing is straight on a Smith. I’ve shot a custom M28 converted to .44 Special. Custom quality is superior to factory products.
    +1 Except Jim Stroh retired a few years ago. There will be no more Stroh customs.
    John
    W.TN

My Smith is straight. So is my wife's Smith. They should marry & have children.

I am somewhat amazed at how these have appreciated in value. I bought a mint 28-2 (well made, P&Red) with a 4" barrel for $450 in 2011 or so so the guy could buy himself a Glock! It's always been my favorite revolver, and the envy of my Father in law who has a rubbishy 28-3. I tried to buy a nice (but fired) 28-2 with a 6" barrel from a pawn shop and the guy won't budge from $900!

I wouldn't fire it if you are looking for investment, but then again, I don't buy guns for that reason, I buy them to shoot.

Boolit Grand Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	054.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	213462Click image for larger version. 

Name:	052.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	213463
    This is mine, with her new grips made in Siam and a new holster. This is my shooting 357. I have others, but this is the one that spends the most time at the range with me.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy

This one was my first duty weapon when I went to work for the patrol. It was "well used" when I got it, but it still shoots great. When we transitioned to auto's in the 90's we could buy our old issue weapons. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG2833.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	213465

Boolit Master

I've accumulated a handful of S&W's including two 28-2's preying on the young'uns that have inherited dad or grandpa's old fashion what they often refer to as cowboy guns. The young guys just can't resist a modern Plastic Fantastic Wonder Nine and will jump on an opportunity to trade. For investment if I stumble across a Tupperware 9 cheap. I jump on it hoping to find another trade deal for a S&W revolver.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	054.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	213462Click image for larger version. 

Name:	052.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	213463
    This is mine, with her new grips made in Siam and a new holster. e.
    I've had good luck with the Siamese grips. Fit well, look good but from the hard core collectors on the S&W forum satisfaction seems mixed. All my S&W's are shooters, none are mint or pristine, usually have some holster wear but I'm a happy camper with each new every one. The current mfd grips from S&W are UGLY!!

Boolit Master
    Shoot it! So you keep it in a safe because they are pretty? and no one has used the gun for what it was made for?Soit stays in your safe and it gains more $ value? Then you die and you never got to enjoy it does not make sense to me shooooooot it!!!

I have noticed in just the last year that S&W N frames have topped out and movement on them is
    slowed way down. Nice hi condition shooters are around $1K on average. Just about the time this
    occurred the 28s started to come up in price. I follow S&W on daily bases and have watched 28s
    come up from $500 to$800 for nice P&Rs. And unlike the top of line N frames they seem to be
    selling. Guys that are into $1000 shooter Ns find that they are not being snapped up at $1000
    let alone a couple hundred more bucks they thought they would get. Like the stock market I
    believe the S&W N market has topped out, at least for now. This doesn't include NIB pieces that
    are collectors items.

Boolit Master
    I have a 28-2 that was given to me that I think was unfired. If it had been shot it was very little.It came with the box and papers tools and the sales receipt when it was first sold in July 1964.

I put new grips on and shot it the day I got it. I then set it up in my Lee Pistol Machine rest to see what kind of loads it liked.

It shot pretty good with about any cast load I tried.The 28-2's shoot to well to be safe queens.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast