Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poured a lead hammer

Poured a lead hammer

Got hammered in the garage tonight.

Finally got around to pouring a lead hammer for beating on things in the shop (No, not my molds!)

Watched the tubalcain video on YouTube and gave the tomato paste can method a try. I want a lead hammer mold, but cannot justify the price. 1/2” x 12”black pipe and came out at 4 1/2 pounds with rimfire lead.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4F1483AD-AB04-4B99-B987-CF710261281C.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	213286

Name:	8693BA52-A268-4671-A5A6-ADC58D7F6E38.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	213287

Name:	5A49CCE2-7E09-4B86-87BF-9879581730FD.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	213288

Nice work...looks pretty handy. I sure hope you never hit your thumb with that bugger!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

We had a mould in one shop. We would drill a 1/4" hoe thru the pipe for a pin that pressed in 1" left on each side. this helped hold the lead to the pipe and kept it from spinning as it got beat up. Our mould made a 2 lb hammer which was still to big for my tastes most of the time. We also had a mould for making coated dead blow hammers and bumpers that weighed around 6-8 ounces. A piece of copper tubing 2 end plugs and the handle was pressed around the tube. pressed one plug in flush filled with lead shot with in 1/8" of bottom of second plug a few drops of oil press second plug in. press handle on to center of head and place this in mould. Mix urethane and pour in. set in pressure pot and pressurize till cured. these were very good for tapping parts around on grinders and seating parts on parallels.

Boolit Grand Master

Wonder how one of the 6 ounce tomato juice cans would work?

I used a Hunts 6oz Tomato Paste can that’s about 2” diameter and 3” long.

Next hammer will be a tad smaller.

Boolit Master

The home made mold is probably a better solution than the really nice mold that made the rounds several years ago. Anybody remember how long ago that was. I poured 4 hammers before I passed it on to the next member on the list. Somewhere in all that passing around the mold disappeared. I still have 2 unused hammers and 2 sort of beat up hammers.

I would be interested to know what cheese is going to use for a smaller hammer.
    John
    W.TN

Looks good to me , pinning the head might be a good thing, or maybe drilling the handle where its surrounded by lead so it is inclusive.
    Good plan for a cold day here.

I cheat, I grabbed an 14" length of 3/4 PVC pipe. Drove a wooden plug in the far end. Poured it about 1/3 full of lead in several small pours.

Seems as long as I don't try to pour it all in one shot the PVC softens but does not break or deform to the point that it leaks.

It gives it good heft with a soft surface that takes a LOT of abuse without abusing your molds.

Boolit Master

Ingenious solution. I would have never thought of that.
    John
    W.TN

I've heard of people using a piece of threaded pipe as a handle that they install a large nut on once the threaded end is in the can.

I screwed a cap on the end of the threads inside the can. I also cut some grooves across the threads with a side grinder to help lock the pipe to secure it from turning.

Banned
    I made a "practical" lead hammer. I haven't weighed it but probably about 8 oz. I used a Harbor Freight Quick Change Multi-Head Hammer. ($4.99) Which has screw on plastic and rubber heads. I used a little votive candle aluminum shell for a mold and poured a lead head with a bolt inside the lead to screw it on to the hammer. Here are some reference pictures. It works like a charm for my finer work which requires a non marring hammer.
    Attachment 213307Attachment 213308Attachment 213309

I bet you could do the same with a SST condiment cup rather than a votive candle.

Boolit Grand Master

I wonder what ever happened to the mould I donated to the group. I still have a couple hammers made from that mould.

I make all different sizes of lead hammers using cans for mold. My most useful one on guns is a
    small one made with a snuff can. Not the flat round ones, the ones that fine powdered snuff come
    in. A little bigger than 35mm film containers, which were also made of metal before plastic. I have
    a steel handle with notches and holes in it to keep head from moving on handle. When head gets
    beat up I just melt it off and recast another.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by cheese1566 View Post
    I bet you could do the same with a SST condiment cup rather than a votive candle.
    I would say the biggest difference between the two is that the votive tin can be peeled off when done, not so sure about the condiment cup. Some years back a fellow here on the site `Cactus Farmer` was making himself a hammer and made me one also that looks like a store bought model.Robert

I would think so. I have used them for impromptu molds and drip pans under my old Lee. Lead don’t stick and they are tapered. I have ideas already of turning a jig to hold the mounting bolt and keep it centered.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    I would say the biggest difference between the two is that the votive tin can be peeled off when done, not so sure about the condiment cup. Some years back a fellow here on the site `Cactus Farmer` was making himself a hammer and made me one also that looks like a store bought model.Robert
    It happened to be the exact size I needed so I went with it. The only problem I encountered was when I poured the lead in on top of the bolt, the bolt floated to the top...oops. Had to build a jig to hold the bolt in position.

Got this one at a yard sale. Made a SS handle with a roll pin going side to side to keep the lead on the handle once it gets beat like it is in the pic. They still make an almost identical mold for around $130.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    I wonder what ever happened to the mould I donated to the group. I still have a couple hammers made from that mould.
    Ref:Post #6
    I could not remember who donated that hammer mold, sorry, mould. Based on time after I sent it on, it must have disappeared about 2 or 3 recipients after me. It bothered me for a long time that someone would keep the mould after it had been donated without expectation of remuneration.

If I ever use up all 4 of my hammers, I'm going to come back to this thread for ideas how to make more.
    John
    W.TN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast