RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NON Harbor Freight PC source?

Boolit Bub

NON Harbor Freight PC source?

Hi all,

I've never powder coated before but I'd love to give it a try...so much so that I keep stopping in whenever I pass a Goodwill in search of an old toaster oven

I don't live near a Harbor Freight so I thought I would ask you all where is the best place to source powder coat? While I am at it, what PC do you prefer and why?

Cheers

Boolit Master
    Smoke's got some of the best powder around:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raying-bullets

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Smoke's is killer powder in any color! HF red is excellent. HF matte black is ONLY for ESPC.

I use them ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banger

Boolit Master

go with Smoke's

less hassle and much better results

PC is a bit of an art and keep working at it till you're satisfied, then look around to see how to make it better
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Bub
    Eastwood.com is where I get mine from. Usually ordering something else while I am there, so I have been getting a couple of colors with every order.

Boolit Master

Smoke is far and away selling the highest quality at the best price,and a heck of a good guy!

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Go with Smoke's powders. Either of his blue colors can be easily applied by the beginner.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

Smokes clear is one of the slickest and easiest to use.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by Pooka View Post
    Hi all,

I've never powder coated before but I'd love to give it a try...so much so that I keep stopping in whenever I pass a Goodwill in search of an old toaster oven

I don't live near a Harbor Freight so I thought I would ask you all where is the best place to source powder coat? While I am at it, what PC do you prefer and why?

Cheers
    Harbor Freight is a darn cheep supplier of powder coating supplies, and if you're goal is to make sexy/evil colored boolits which can somewhat replace normal lubing during the sizing process then that's the way to go.
    BUT, if you just want the slickest lead bullets you can get then I suggest you try Hex-Boron Nitride (hBN) Powder. I shoot in cowboy action events and "roll my own" so to speak. After making thousands of 357 lead slugs I got real tired of effin with my luber/sizer die's shenanigans, so I read an article (somewhere???) about powder coating. It sounded almost as putzy as my lubrisizer until I came to a part about Hexagonal Boron Nitride (hBN) Powder. I bought a test batch from and tried it. Holy crappadoochy were those bullets slick! I can barely pick up a single powder-coated bullet with my fingers. No lie!
    I size 'em all first, just to be sure, and then I use my vibratory tumbler to apply the hBN for 20 - 40 minutes and I'm done lubing 100-300 boolits, which is more than enough for a weekend shooting event. The shiny cast lead boolits change to a sexy dark metallic grey color which look pretty hot on my pistol belt.

No matter what you decide, keep hBN powder coating in mind.
    Because freedom isn't free....

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by Pooka View Post
    Hi all,

Cheers
    Harbor Freight is a darn cheep supplier of powder coating supplies, and if you're goal is to make sexy/evil colored boolits which can somewhat replace normal lubing during the sizing process then that's the way to go.
    BUT, if you just want the slickest lead bullets you can get then I suggest you try Hex-Boron Nitride (hBN) Powder. I shoot in cowboy action events and "roll my own" so to speak. After making thousands of 357 lead slugs I got real tired of effin with my luber/sizer die's shenanigans, so I read an article (somewhere???) about powder coating. It sounded almost as putzy as my lubrisizer until I came to a part about Hexagonal Boron Nitride (hBN) Powder. I bought a test batch from lowerfriction.com and tried it. Holy crappadoochy were those bullets slick! I can barely pick up a single powder-coated bullet with my fingers. No lie!
    I size 'em all first, just to be sure, and then I use my vibratory tumbler to apply the hBN for 20 - 40 minutes and I'm done lubing 100-300 boolits, which is more than enough for a weekend shooting event. The shiny cast lead boolits change to a sexy dark metallic grey color which look pretty hot on my pistol belt.

Because freedom isn't free....

Boolit Grand Master

Harbor Freight claims that they couldn't ship their powder to Hawaii because it was hazardous? I ordered from Smoke and have been a VERY satisfied customer. His Carolina Blue, Traffic Purple and Hot Pink just plain WORK!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Smoke test if the color works with the air soft BB shake and bake application. He has sample packs so you can try 3 different colors in 1/3 pound quantity. Or just buy a single color in 1 pound quantity. HF red is as far as I know the only HF color that works decent for dry shake application. Lowest cost way to try and I have used HF red for .223 at good velocities but not nearly as nice as the powders sold by vendor sponsors here on the forum.

This thread shows current prices and colors from smoke http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...owder-For-sale

Being from Michigan I find a lot of call for Green and White or Blue and Yellow bullets. I tend to use the Blue and Yellow for "lite" loads, that the younger grandkids can shoot, and the Green and White are full power magnum loads.
    Not everyone in the family has the same color scheme to load power preferences that I do but.... if I make em, you get it like the cook prepares it or go without.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Banned
    I started buy using HF red, Then HF Yellow, Then HF White. Then Smokes. Now I have 3 lbs of HF powder that will take me a lifetime to use. If you want to pay the postage, I will send you a half pound total of HF in the various colors. Then you can appreciate Smokes when you get it. Smokes is easier to use, makes a thicker coat and Smoke is a great guy. But again since I wont use all of my HF powders I can give you some. PM me with your address.

Boolit Master

Since no one's mentioned it try Smoke's.....lol
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Is Smoke paying you guys to promote him LOL
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RP View Post
    Is Smoke paying you guys to promote him LOL
    NO, not even getting a discount from him, BUT, his product works!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    BUT, if you just want the slickest lead bullets you can get then I suggest you try Hex-Boron Nitride (hBN) Powder. I shoot in cowboy action events and "roll my own" so to speak. After making thousands of 357 lead slugs I got real tired of effin with my luber/sizer die's shenanigans, so I read an article (somewhere???) about powder coating. It sounded almost as putzy as my lubrisizer until I came to a part about Hexagonal Boron Nitride (hBN) Powder. I bought a test batch from and tried it. Holy crappadoochy were those bullets slick! I can barely pick up a single powder-coated bullet with my fingers. No lie!

Thanks I’ll look into it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Smoke test if the color works with the air soft BB shake and bake application. He has sample packs so you can try 3 different colors in 1/3 pound quantity. Or just buy a single color in 1 pound quantity. HF red is as far as I know the only HF color that works decent for dry shake application. Lowest cost way to try and I have used HF red for .223 at good velocities but not nearly as nice as the powders sold by vendor sponsors here on the forum.

This thread shows current prices and colors from smoke http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...owder-For-sale

Being from Michigan I find a lot of call for Green and White or Blue and Yellow bullets. I tend to use the Blue and Yellow for "lite" loads, that the younger grandkids can shoot, and the Green and White are full power magnum loads.
    Not everyone in the family has the same color scheme to load power preferences that I do but.... if I make em, you get it like the cook prepares it or go without.
    Good to know there is Green & White available...I live in CA but spent 5 of my best years in East Lansing! As for blue and yellow I didn’t realize you could reload 22 short

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    I started buy using HF red, Then HF Yellow, Then HF White. Then Smokes. Now I have 3 lbs of HF powder that will take me a lifetime to use. If you want to pay the postage, I will send you a half pound total of HF in the various colors. Then you can appreciate Smokes when you get it. Smokes is easier to use, makes a thicker coat and Smoke is a great guy. But again since I wont use all of my HF powders I can give you some. PM me with your address.
    I appreciate the offer, very kind. Sounds like Smoke’s is the way to go. Pass it on to someone local and thanks again!

Banned
    And by the way, there is a guy by the name of "Smoke" who sells PC powder here on Castboolits. I know most have not heard of him but his powder is pretty good. (he paid me to say that) Nah,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast