Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: 100 yard Lee soup can load for 30-06?

100 yard Lee soup can load for 30-06?

I am going to start loading for 30-06 and I decided to begin with the lee soup can, 309-113-F. I have 300+ cast from AC COWWs, checked, and tumble lubed with Ben's Liquid Lube. I am wanting to end up with a target and small game load that is good to 100 yards and does not go trans sonic in that distance (looks like 1500 to 1600 FPS out of the barrel will do that). I was thinking of trying HP38 (9, 9.5 and 10 grains) and Trail Boss (10, 11, and 12 grains). Anything else I should try? I also have on hand Unique, 2400 (Lyman says 18.5 grains will do 2000FPS ), Universal, Longshot, Lilgun, 800X and a few real rifle powders (4198, Varget, Leverevolution).
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

7.0 of bullseye, red dot, or 700x
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by arlon View Post
    Very nice. Unfortunately I do not stock Red Dot.

Red Dot would be worth stocking.Do a search for "The Load".Shooting 13 grains Red Dot in .30-06 will get you there.

Boolit Master

Depending on the current price advantage, one may want to invest in some PROMO.
    It performs fairy well for me in several different cartridges using Red Dot data.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    Very nice. Unfortunately I do not stock Red Dot.
    I'd try 10 gr of unique then and see where that takes you. I always have some red dot and unique on hand. Now also have a few lbs of blue dot to start playing with.

I didn't know one could shoot 700x out of a 30-06, thought it was for shotgun and pistol only.

It works quite well for .30-06. I used it as it was all I had, primarily for shot shell reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by Went2kck View Post
    I didn't know one could shoot 700x out of a 30-06, thought it was for shotgun and pistol only.

Quote Originally Posted by arlon View Post
    I'd try 10 gr of unique then and see where that takes you. I always have some red dot and unique on hand. Now also have a few lbs of blue dot to start playing with.
    Probably a good idea to try the usual unique load. If I cannot get what I want out of HP38 or Unique I suppose I will have to pick up a pound of red dot.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    If you are shooting a ten-inch twist barrel in your .30-'06, you will get much better grouping dropping your velocity down with that light bullet to .32-20 Winchester levels, not over about 1400 fps.

In my experience the lighter 110-130 grain bullets produce dispersion over a long series of 50 consecutive rounds in five, ten-shot groups, which is almost exactly DOUBLE that of a 150-grain or heavier bullet at subsonic velocity which fits.

For 100- and 200-yard shooting it is hard to beat Accurate 31-155D with 6-7 grains of Bullseye or 8-9 grains of WST.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    If you are shooting a ten-inch twist barrel in your .30-'06, you will get much better grouping dropping your velocity down with that light bullet to .32-20 Winchester levels, not over about 1400 fps.

In my experience the lighter 110-130 grain bullets produce dispersion over a long series of 50 consecutive rounds in five, ten-shot groups, which is almost exactly DOUBLE that of a 150-grain or heavier bullet at subsonic velocity which fits.

For 100- and 200-yard shooting it is hard to beat Accurate 31-155D with 6-7 grains of Bullseye or 8-9 grains of WST.
    This is a Tikka T3, so an 11" twist. I also have a 195 grain mold which will be my next boolit for load development in this rifle.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    This is a Tikka T3, so an 11" twist. I also have a 195 grain mold which will be my next boolit for load development in this rifle.
    If your 195-grain mold "fits" the throat, cast about 10-12 BHN with the same charges it will work fine, no GC needed.

I use 6-8 grains of Bullseye with NOE clone of #311299.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Just to close the loop, I tried 9, 9._ and 10 grains of hp38 as well as 10, 11 and 12 grains of unique. I only shot at the 50 yards target, but 12 grains of unique was the ticket. Shot about a half inch group with all the holes touching. I will be loading a bunch of this. Not sure how fast they are going since I have no chrony, but it might be lots of fun to surprise some rabbits or jacks at 75 yards.

Next up will be some.hotter loads with 150 and 195 grain boolits I plan to cast tomorrow.