Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alox lube and accuracy

Boolit Master

I can't speak to the original BLL, having never used it. I never got the chance to purchase any of the magic Johnson's mixture prior to it being discontinued.
    The BLL#2 that I use, the one with the Lundmark wax, works just as well as 45/45/10. At least, it does in the applications I have tried - mostly handgun up to about 1300fps.

I will say that BLL is easier to make, if only because there is no heating of the wax to render it down. The two lubes (45/45/10 & BLL) are very similar, but the BLL remains a liquid while the 45/45/10 turns pasty.

"Guys that work behind the counter in gun shops are worst, because they want to sell more lube.."

Your not nuts, you just work in a lot bigger quantity's than some of us do.

A big batch for me is 100 bullets. And I count drops. And swirl, and judge.

A little too thin = more drops.

A little too yellow = cut it way down next time.

First coat IMO should look evenly lightly "fuzzy" but silver yet.
    Second coat should look quite fuzzy with perhaps the lightest tint of amber.

Third coat you should see color on 4 out of 5 bullets. But even, smooth.

I hate writing but I need to start taking notes.

I also need to shoot more.

I don't blame the LGS for wanting to sell more lube.
    I don't expect them to have the equivalent of a Masters degree in Casting, loading, and lube either.

Would be nice however if they were smart enough and wise enough to tell them when THEY are in the presence of a Master. That they should talk less, and listen more.

a couple years ago I bought a slab of Alox from some company, not LEE, just wondering if a straight Alox lube wood work on say velocitys 1200-1500fps ?
    thanks 4 any help

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by catmasher View Post
    a couple years ago I bought a slab of Alox from some company, not LEE, just wondering if a straight Alox lube wood work on say velocitys 1200-1500fps ?
    thanks 4 any help
    Catmasher,

There are many kinds of lubes made by Alox. Reloaders use Lee liquid Alox and NRA 50/50, each is made of a different Alox product.

Whatever you have might work, but if you could give more details someone might be able to help you more.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    Catmasher,

There are many kinds of lubes made by Alox. Reloaders use Lee liquid Alox and NRA 50/50, each is made of a different Alox product.

Whatever you have might work, but if you could give more details someone might be able to help you more.
    It's just a big slab of brown alox, nothing else. can that without BW be a good lube?

Boolit Master

It's just a big slab of brown alox, nothing else. can that without BW be a good lube?
    Maybe. Like I said there are many kinds of Alox. The NRA found that an exact 50/50 mix of Alox 2138F and Bee's Wax worked well while any variation of percentages didn't work as well. Since then 2138F has been superceded by 350, some details here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...8F-Replacement

As you can see, an an industrial lubricant it's available in 55gal drums and 5 gallon buckets. So if you have a slab, I'm thinking it might already be cut with Bee's Wax. Or not. I don't know.

If you are shooting in a non-critical application, that pushing pressure or velocity limitations of the alloy, you will find that most any lubricant will do to prevent leading. Accuracy may suffer a bit. For example, with good boolit fit, almost anything can lubricate standard 45ACP loads in 5" barrels.

Like Felix would say, try it and report back.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Banner Sponsor

thanks 4 any help
    If yours is anything like the Alox 350 that I carry, then it will have the consistency of a light grease and will probably just make a mess trying to lube bullets with it straight.
    You should be able to mix it with BeesWax and come up with a serviceable lube. To get to the NRA formula of 50-50, you will first need to mix the Alox with about 6-7% Micro Wax, then mix that half and half with BeesWax. You may want to try a small batch first and keep notes as to what you put in.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12