Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who hunts coyotes with a cast bullet

Concerning the natural balance in nature, it ceased to exist long ago. We caused the problem & we must fix it through sound wildlife management. We are nothing short of stupid if we don't utilize hunting in that endeavor. I have to wonder about our wildlife department. They appeal to hunters & land owners to help control coyotes & wild hogs but then enact regulations that often make it very difficult if not impossible to kill one. One such law is on WMA land, it is legal to take coyotes & hogs but during small game season, you have to use small game ammo. How do they expect you to kill an animal that often doesn't go down when hit by a deer rifle or with buckshot shooting a load of #6 shot or a squirrel rifle?

That hollow point mold looks like a minnie ball mold except that the cavity pin is on the other side & much smaller.

Banned
    In Florida we used to use 00 buck during turkey season now the best you can use is #4 but if you call em in pretty close and stay still you can still bust em my oldest boy and me got 2 last year while turkey hunting.

Yea, that works with coyotes. As stated above, I killed one instantly with #6's. That dog don't hunt when you switch the focus to big hogs. They don't trust us. They are so afraid we are going to shoot a deer that they forget how many fawns are killed by coyotes & hogs.

Boolit Grand Master
    I prefer a 220 swift for coyote
    if I hunt tight cover I use a 10 ga with #4B
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

White eagle,
    I love my 10 ga. guns. I have no less than 4, 10 ga. SXS's. 5 if you count my 10 ga. SXS muzzleloader. One is a "E" grade L.C. Smith, two are Beretta model 410's & one is a Spanish gun of decent quality. They are primarily waterfowl guns but one of the Berettas is my "go to" gun for deer with buckshot. Actually, they are all good buckshot guns. I call that gun my "rescue gun". Somebody cut the barrels down to 28" & put choke tubes in it. It has an English style straight grip composite stock on it. I didn't like the tubes so I had Briley install steel compatible extended tubes. The shorter barrels handle better in cover & I shoot hand cast, buffered "OOO" or 0.35 cal. buck which patterns very well, actually too tight for close shots.

Moderator Emeritus

I would not and have not, resist shooting a coyote with whatever was at hand. When hunting them I use jacketed bullets capable of 350 + yards impacts.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMETRIC View Post
    Concerning the natural balance in nature, it ceased to exist long ago. We caused the problem & we must fix it through sound wildlife management. We are nothing short of stupid if we don't utilize hunting in that endeavor. I have to wonder about our wildlife department. They appeal to hunters & land owners to help control coyotes & wild hogs but then enact regulations that often make it very difficult if not impossible to kill one. One such law is on WMA land, it is legal to take coyotes & hogs but during small game season, you have to use small game ammo. How do they expect you to kill an animal that often doesn't go down when hit by a deer rifle or with buckshot shooting a load of #6 shot or a squirrel rifle?

That hollow point mold looks like a minnie ball mold except that the cavity pin is on the other side & much smaller.
    In good ol Nevada coyote season is 24/7/365 any weapon, any cartridge, bow, slingshot spear you name it. A hunting license is not required to hunt coyotes whether you are resident, nonresident or illegal immigrant. Hell we have coyote hunting contests with prizes for most dogs, biggest dog, smallest dog etc. And if you come across one of those "really big coyotes" that are wandering in from Idaho you are advised to shoot them, but leave them lay or use the 3S rule. At the very least don't bring them to town and show them off. Gotta love this place.

Banned

Kansas does require a hunting license for them, but otherwise is the same. No season, no limits. In fact, they are the only animal that is legal to shoot from a vehicle here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    I prefer a 220 swift for coyote
    if I hunt tight cover I use a 10 ga with #4B
    I have not given one the “Swift” treatment yet .... done them in with a lot of other cartridges though (like the .204 Ruger) and I have a swift barrel for Savage bolt guns but when it comes to shotguns, there is no better way to end a coyote’s nefarious ways than with a 10 ga. & 4 buck lead!

When we used to be able to get the permit we used a Spanish made SxS with 32” full choke barrels and a 3 1/2” chamber. An airborne sledge hammer!

Three44s

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catncarp View Post
    I have a 7mm-08 and it shoots cast very well, would that be ok for coyotes out to 150 yards. I am thinking that it would not cause much pelt damage

It would be a hard cast bullet at about 1900 fps
    It will do a good job, enjoy.

Boolit Grand Master
    song dog destroyer is what the 220 swift is
    shot one one time and almost cut it in half with a 50 gr bullet
    might be that 25 yds is to close for saving hides
    just this morning ordered a barrel from MGM for my Encore
    to replace the swift that I let go
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

My 7-08 will put a CB in the bttm of a beer can @150 yds 9 outta 10 times under field conditions.So,squarely between a yote's eyes is a no brainer....ha.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Looking forwards to trying out #287308.
    Attachment 213263
    I have this same mold. Mine is hollow pointed as well. Could not get it to shoot well in the CVA 7mm-08 I bought it for, but recently got a nice '93 Mauser sporter that likes it. Should be a good deer bullet when I get to it.

That CVA does like the Lee 135 grain RN. That bullet seems light for deer to me, but a broad side shot may do OK. The mold is a single cavity, so casting some soft points would be straight forward enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Looking forwards to trying out #287308.
    Attachment 213263
    im drooling .

MT Gianni, I agree 100%. Any chance of stopping a Yodel dog from killing another fawn is a chance worth taking.

I once had a 788 Remington with which I could shoot 1", 100yd. groups with iron sights. If you had asked me if I could shoot a 1" group with iron sights at 100yds., I'm sure I would have said no, but there it was on paper & it was with cast bullets.
    I have hunted from China to Canada & to SC & a lot of places in between so I have seen the wide open spaces. There are places here in SC that you can get long shots but, for me at least, it is an unlikely possibility. The next coyote I kill will probably be with a shotgun. I would love to own the ideal coyote rifle but I can't afford a special rifle just to shoot an occasional coyote. I am thinking of trying some cast bullet loads in my Ruger M77, .300 Win.. Not the ideal cast bullet rifle but the range is not likely to exceed 100 yds. & less than 1 moa accuracy will work.

Boolit Grand Master
    No song dogs with the new barrel on my 22-250/Rem 788, but its old barrel collected a few. As far as rifles go, the 223 Rem has done the bulk of the long gun work over the years. As someone pointed out above, birdshot isn't a real good coyote whacker much past 12-15 yards--hence the 357 wheelgun along on the bird hunts. I did shoot a few of them with the patrol car shotgun and #4 Buck at 20-25 yards, they were acting rabid near a public dump site. These two got dispatched about a week apart, just at sunrise when the crew showed up for work. Both were DRT. I never heard the outcomes of the necropsies.

Years later, Marie and I were 4-wheeling south of Ridgecrest and saw a solo coyote acting weird, as if he was stalking her Jeep--staying about even with the car on a parallel ridge that met the ridge we were driving on about 200 yards from where we stopped. The coyote just stopped, and stayed standing about 150 yards off. I Mini-14'ed his idiot self with a Nosler Ballistic Tip, right under his throat and into his chest. THWOCK! Whether rabid or stupid, I didn't inquire--but an animal THAT screwy can't do the gene pool a whole lot of good.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I have trap some coyotes that someone had shot with shotgun bird shot and the shot was just under the skin. Just to let those know about use of a shotgun on them , it look to be #6 shot on them. The skins are what worth when in season the rest of the animals are not as much then otter for around here in Iowa. If the holes are good size just sew them. I had trap 10 this season and 17 last season.I use the cheap 22lr in my single six with them n the trap that is.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Used alotta 243, 257 roberts, 223 wssm jacketed loads, but not cast bullets YET.
    I have a great load for 243 with 100gr rcbs and hollow pointed 3/8 deep. Works awesome on rabbits, prairie dogs and skunks. Aint shot a yote with it yet but I think it should work great.

I also have a #4 buckshot load of COWW that flat pile drives jack rabbits at 40yds that I think would work very good too.

Yea, a shotgun with birdshot is far from ideal coyote medicine but when one comes darting past you unexpectedly, you gotta shoot what you have in your hands or don't shoot. I don't care how long it takes for it to die as long as it can't kill any more fawns.
    You can legally kill a coyote here any time with any gun on private land during daylight. You can shoot them at night with some restrictions. Ditto for hogs. Some restrictions make it difficult to kill hogs & coyotes at night & on government land.

Boolit Master
    When I was a kid my great grandpa used to tell me lots of hunting stories from back in the day. He was born in 1898 to give you an idea of when that day was. He started young and stayed late but by the time I came around his knees wouldn't let him hunt much. No deer in the country then to speak of so most of his hunting was coyote and bobcat. Generally with dogs and a shotgun. His old single barrel Hopkins & Allen hangs on my wall now. He always said BB was the best sized shot for coyotes and cats. Said he had used everything but BB was best.

Several years ago when fox hides got high I called up and shot a good many. No BB shot was available to me so I used #2 and it worked extremely well. I didn't doubt grandpa's word on the BB.
    He was however always telling me stories about Wild Bill Hickok. For years I assumed he actually knew Wild Bill. I was somewhat sad when I found that Wild Bill had been killed over 20 years before Grandpa was born. He's been gone a long time and I still miss the old codger.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast