RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New (4) Hole Pro 1000

Boolit Buddy

New (4) Hole Pro 1000

I asked LEE about a new (4) Hole Pro 1000 press yesterday. They responded back:

A Lee 4-Hole progressive type press is in the works. We are
    still in the development stage and have no official release
    date as of yet, however it's looking like late 2018 or
    early 2019.

Thank You,

Laine

Customer Service

Lee Precision, Inc.

4275 Highway U

Hartford, WI 53027

phone: 262-673-3075

fax: 262-673-9273

Guess for those looking to an upgrade it may be soon or not soon enough. Still it might be worth the wait. If I didn't have as much tied up unto my Pro1000 and 3 hole turret as I do I might consider it. I just added shell plates for the 380 and the 45acp along with a new 3 die set for the 45. So as much as I'd like to I'll be stickin to what I have.

Boolit Master
    LOL, I know Laine fairly well and that is just about as much as they have allowed her say for the last 3 years!!! Last year during the summer they were looking for beta-testers to work the new equipment.

The new press will be using the new unpainted base and be accompanied by the release of new accessories too!
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 44Vaquero View Post
    LOL, I know Laine fairly well and that is just about as much as they have allowed her say for the last 3 years!!! Last year during the summer they were looking for beta-testers to work the new equipment.

The new press will be using the new unpainted base and be accompanied by the release of new accessories too!
    The new base that is used for the new small turret and 3 hole Pro 1000 seems to be their future basis of design for Pistol Calibers. If they beta test this summer like they did last summer then Santa will be busy making them in his workshop.

Quote Originally Posted by 44Vaquero View Post
    An improved Drum measure would be nice. I've had mine back to Lee twice and it is showing signs again. Don't get me wrong, I love mine. It's just that it's about as reliable as a constipated bowl movement.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    An improved Drum measure would be nice. I've had mine back to Lee twice and it is showing signs again. Don't get me wrong, I love mine. It's just that it's about as reliable as a constipated bowl movement.
    I have had no problems and constant accuracy with my auto drum. I did do a graphite break in when I first got it. Mine is on the larger Turret Press and perhaps having it bounce around helps it be consistent.

The problem hasn't been consistency, it's been leakage and breakage. Mine has broken twice. Last time it was in I think they replaced everything but the body. I have actually gone back to using 2 old Auto Disk measures.

Boolit Buddy
    The problem hasn't been consistency, it's been leakage and breakage. Mine has broken twice. Last time it was in I think they replaced everything but the body. I have actually gone back to using 2 old Auto Disk measures.
    The Leakage and Breakage can be associated with tightening down insert. To loose and you have leaks. To tight and you will break the internals. I saw a video where he used a paper shim to set the gap on his. He adjusted it to grip it, then barely backed it off and then pulled it out. Very fine powders tend to be the ones that cause leaks. It is actually in the instructions. He could not get H110 to stop leaking.

I put this 'Gizmo' on my bench.
    https://www.titanreloading.com/titan...-finger-wrench
    I found it easier to adjust the tension do to the better grip. I just turn slowly and feel for resistance when the case starts to lift and rotate. It should be smooth and if it is binding when it lifts to rotate or you will sheer an internal part.

I verified this... I ordered a part and a few extras early on. Learning curve for me. I torqued it down to much and pushed the lever arm down to hard. I can't find the shear part on their website. So perhaps they are changing it.
    https://leeprecision.com/auto-drum-p...measure-parts/

Boolit Master
    For those that are having leakage problems. Have you used any abrasive lube on the contact surfaces of the drum? I don't have either of the 2 updated dispenser. But on my older PPD I used valve lapping compound on the cone and the drum it rides in. To make the 2 pieces seat tighter and more uniform.
    I striped everything down. Filled the hole coming from the hopper, and the hole that measures the powder. With paper towels. Put a lite coat of lapping compound on both the tapered drum and the hole that it fits into. Rotated the drum as you would when dropping powder. maybe 15 or 20 times. Take it apart and clean both surfaces. You will see where the high spots in the plastic (metal) have been more evend out.
    Keep doing the abrasive bit until both the cone and housing are smooth.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    For those that are having leakage problems. Have you used any abrasive lube on the contact surfaces of the drum? I don't have either of the 2 updated dispenser. But on my older PPD I used valve lapping compound on the cone and the drum it rides in. To make the 2 pieces seat tighter and more uniform.
    I striped everything down. Filled the hole coming from the hopper, and the hole that measures the powder. With paper towels. Put a lite coat of lapping compound on both the tapered drum and the hole that it fits into. Rotated the drum as you would when dropping powder. maybe 15 or 20 times. Take it apart and clean both surfaces. You will see where the high spots in the plastic (metal) have been more evend out.
    Keep doing the abrasive bit until both the cone and housing are smooth.
    What if you have multiple plastic inserts set up for your pet loads ?

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    I sent this to Lee Precision. This is the second time, I've suggested this. IDK if they are going to keep it simple, or screw it up by getting over complicated.

" I understand you are working on a new progressive press. If you could keep the priming simple, it would probably fix all the issues. My advice is to use the same priming arms used with your other presses, and make the priming a manual process and use the priming feed from the current Turret press. Put it on the front of the press, and prime on the down stroke. You can make it manual advance like a Dillon RL300, 450, and 550. Doing it this way would make it pretty much bullet proof.
    If you have to use auto indexing, then put the first and last position on the side, and keep the priming on the front. Let the sized case index on the down stroke, and prime at bdc. Keep the same primer arm, and feed, and keep it a manual thing.

I release all rights of this concept to Lee Precision. James F Kimmons Jr "

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jimkim View Post
    I sent this to Lee Precision. This is the second time, I've suggested this. IDK if they are going to keep it simple, or screw it up by getting over complicated.

" I understand you are working on a new progressive press. If you could keep the priming simple, it would probably fix all the issues. My advice is to use the same priming arms used with your other presses, and make the priming a manual process and use the priming feed from the current Turret press. Put it on the front of the press, and prime on the down stroke. You can make it manual advance like a Dillon RL300, 450, and 550. Doing it this way would make it pretty much bullet proof.
    If you have to use auto indexing, then put the first and last position on the side, and keep the priming on the front. Let the sized case index on the down stroke, and prime at bdc. Keep the same primer arm, and feed, and keep it a manual thing.

I release all rights of this concept to Lee Precision. James F Kimmons Jr "

Not saying it is a bad idea or that it will not work but.....then it is no longer a progressive. But it beats priming off the press and I know a few wind up doing that now.
    Don Verna

[QUOTE=jimkim;4278717]. You can make it manual advance like a Dillon RL300, 450, and 550. Doing it this way would make it pretty much bullet proof./QUOTE]

Over the past almost 2 years that I've been reloading again and have been using progressive presses I have read all the threads but have been reluctant to mention this but as you have just brought it up I will express an opinion. As far as I am concerned the 3 presses you just mentioned are nothing more than over built, over priced, manual turret presses with the turrets just located in a different position.. They are not true progressive presses. The Square Deal is a progressive press the 650 is the 1050 is.

Boolit Master
    The early dillon hobby level presses used manual priming and manual advance. I guess that makes them semi-progressive. My point is, they should build something that will work for 98% of the people using them. You can call it, by whatever name you wish.

I'd buy a LoadMaster if it had manual advance, and manual priming. I wish someone would make a conversion kit for it. Keeping my RL300(thanks Roy!) no matter what they come out with. I love that press!!

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Jim when it comes down to brass tacks all that really matter is if you are happy with what you are using. Regardless of what it is. We all have differing needs and individual ways of getting it done. I enjoy what I have and won't be upgrading any time soon, unless someone gifts me something. I am content with what I have and what I'm doing and now concentrate on improving my shooting.

Boolit Master
    I got a responce.

Jim:

You are correct that we have a new progressive press in the works. It will be a 4 station press that you will be able to customize to be as progressive as you would like. The priming system is similar to the single stage presses and will allow you to use the Safety Prime system, should you choose to automate the priming.

Thank You,

Laine
    Customer Service

Lee Precision, Inc.
    4275 Highway U
    Hartford, WI 53027
    phone: 262-673-3075
    fax: 262-673-9273

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jimkim View Post
    I got a responce.

Jim:

You are correct that we have a new progressive press in the works. It will be a 4 station press that you will be able to customize to be as progressive as you would like. The priming system is similar to the single stage presses and will allow you to use the Safety Prime system, should you choose to automate the priming.

I sounds like it will be very customizable.

Boolit Buddy
    The LEE Press Release:
    2018- American Rifelman, American Handgunner and Handloader- 90900 Breech Lock Pro
    https://leeprecision.com/userfiles/a...echLockPro.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Livin_cincy View Post
    The LEE Press Release:
    2018- American Rifelman, American Handgunner and Handloader- 90900 Breech Lock Pro
    https://leeprecision.com/userfiles/a...echLockPro.pdf
    If they are displaying it on their website then they are doing a very good job of hiding it. Looked and do not see it.

Boolit Buddy
    If they are displaying it on their website then they are doing a very good job of hiding it. Looked and do not see it.
    Not available yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast