Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Case Trimming. What are you using?

Boolit Master

Lee case trimmer. The base either goes in a nut driver or an electric screw driver (or a small vice grip if I can find either of those). Base (shell holder) also works great for case neck turning.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Buddy

Case Trimming. What are you using?

WFT for .233 and .30-06. Sinclair version of Wilson trimmer for everything else. Also trying out the newer Lee die based Deluxe trimmer, looks promising for speed as well.

Boolit Master

Forster & Wilson

Giraud Tri-Way
    "Hollow Points"-"From Those Who Care Enough To Send The Very Best"

Lee case trimmer mostly. I also have a Forster, but Lee is a bit quicker. The Lee 3-jaw chuck goes into the drill to chuck the cases. Pretty quick and efficient...
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Bub
    I use the Lee tools, the case length gauge, cutter, and case holder are very inexpensive. A little slow, but all the cases come out exactly the same, plus, when you want to switch to another case, all you have to buy is the appropriate case length gauge. I use a cordless drill.

Boolit Master
    L E Wilson for every thing

Boolit Master

Lee, C&H, and Forster. Use them all and all do a good job. I like the C&H the best though. james

Boolit Grand Master
    The Lyman as it seemed the best at the time and recently upgraded to the powered RCBS unit as it will chamfer and debur as well. Looking at the WFT for processing oodles of .223.

BTW, I cannot recall ever trimming pistol brass except for making ammunition for accuracy testing of .38 Spl. over 40 years ago and it was not worth the effort.
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    I use an RCBS trimmer primarily. But I also use the Lee hand trimmer when doing bulk and mainly mil spec stuff. Add a drill and you can knock out a couple hundred cases quick. In one of my recent buys of stuff I got a Wilson trimmer. Cleaned up nice and I ordered a .223 holder for it. I am going to set it up for .223 and lock it down. As long as accuracy is there, I'll have a dedicated trimmer to .223.

Boolit Master
    Buy one of these.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/62...nd-trim-center

You will be glad you did. I wished I had discovered it years ago. Used to do everything by hand. With this tool, you can trim, chamfer, debur and clean the primer pocket in about 20 seconds and done. Works about all cases from .223 to 45-70 without any additional attachments. Now instead of measuring all cases, I typically just go ahead and trim to the minimum.

Rosewood
    Evangelical, deplorable redneck and proud of it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LostSoul View Post
    This is going to be a new subject for me, I've only loaded for 9x19 and .38/.357, and I've never needed to trim cases. I have little experience, and it's been a few years now since I've reloaded, but I believe I've loaded cases 3 times for .357 and they still never stretched enough to need trimming. Now I'm venturing into RIFLE reloading and casting (starting with 7.92x57 for my Gewehr 88) so now I assume I'm going to have to trim cases... The Lee gauges and trimmer and whatnot seems to be the most affordable way in, but frankly I don't understand how it works, and it looks cumbersome. Various companies make lathe-like trimmers that make more sense to me, but they're obviously more expensive and I'm still not wrapping my head completely around the process. What are you using? And more importantly... WHY?
    I use both an RCBS trim pro and an motorized version of the same. they are piloted lathe trimmers. that and a caliper and you can get .xxx trim precision. It sounds harder than it is.

I started loading bottleneck rifle before I ever loaded pistol... I was surprised to see how much less work it was to load pistol.

Boolit Master

For trimming you have a lot of good options. A lot depends on your process. I use Lee and an RCBS. Small runs I use the Lee. With the Lee you have to deprime first. The case gauge goes through the cartridge case and the end goes through the flash hole and touches the shell holder to set the length. They are simple and efficient and affordable. The only complaint I have with them is they used to have a hardened insert for the tip. Now they just machine it in. Not horrible but I prefer the originals. If I am doing a bigger batch I like the RCBS because you do not have to deprime the case first. The other types mentioned index off of the shoulder of case. So it needs to be resized first to be accurate. FB

My 1st. one (in the '60s) was a C&H. Gave it to a dear friend when he moved.......he always liked it.
    Replaced it with a Forester which works well.
    For volume I have a Gracy which I rarely use since I no longer shoot XTC.

If you have a caliper or similar measuring devise, I'd suggest the Forester.

Henry

Lyman Ezee trim for common calibers and my old Forster for the others.

I appreciate all of the responses, I'm thinking for my limited space and low volume, I'll give the Lee tools a shot. (Unless I happen to stumble on something else cheap and used) So the Lee setup consists of a case length gauge, a hand/power driver, and a cutter. I see they also offer the Zip trim lathe type thingy, does this use the same pieces? Is it even useful, considering I could chuck up the existing holder in a drill?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by maxreloader View Post
    Only works with cases that have a shoulder (rifle) but I cant believe nobody has mentioned the WFT trimmers by Little Crow Gunworks. They work AMAZINGLY fast and are right-on. WAY less $$$ than the Giraud as well. The WFT 2 has interchangeable inserts that space on the shoulder so no changing oal everytime you change a pilot. check them out. I have no interest in the company besides liking their product.
    WFT is the bestest Trimmer I use. I have the WFT2 and it's a breeze to use.

Between the Lee Zip Trim and their 3 Jaw Chuck I recommend the 3 Jawed Chuck. It really is a very good ancillary tool for trimming with Lee case length gauges. It's just so much easier and faster use with a drill.
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockzilla View Post
    Forster, Lyman, for small runs, Giraud for large runs.

-Rock
    What he said . Trimming really depends on how much you have to do and how often .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Grand Master

Country Gent posted a nice summary of whats available.

I use a Giraud for high volume rifle cases and a Wilson for the lower volume calibers. I use the Giraud for speed. I can maintain 14-16 cases pre minute and .001 in accuracy. I use the Wilson because it makes an accurate and square cut. I've also owned and used the Lyman and RCBS trimmers. The universal chuck on the Lyman is nice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast