RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flat of bad primers? Anyone had this problem?

Boolit Grand Master
    I’m going to go with the poor powder ignition votes. Your round ball started out of the case before sufficient ignition of the powder had occurred. When the pressure dropped, ignition was slowed so quickly a goodly amount of powder remained unburned. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Remedies would start with a heavy crimp on the ball, or a heavier projectile, or more powder located down near the flash hole. I hesitate to mention any kind of filler or wad as that can bring on its own set of problems, but you may need to go there.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Just satisfy my little mind why the round ball?

Boolit Master
    Will try a harder crimp also.

Why round ball? They work well and are cheaper shooting than 255 grn. 140 grn round ball works rather well, has done so for 500 years or so.

Boolit Master
    Have they worked well in that gun? Other than cheapness any other reason?
    Just curious as other than cheapness I can't see it is all.
    I may want to try it.

Buy some fresh powder. Make sure the barrel is open. ?? Do it again . Green Frog is more than likely correct.

Boolit Master
    I don't know what happened to your load but I have purchased blocks of bad primers I still have most of a thousand CCI mag lg rifle primers that drove me crazy for a while . And I remember my brother selling his first 9mm because of a brick of bad primers , later we discovered the primer to be the problem . Both times they came ordered new , and properly stored . It can and does happen

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Have they worked well in that gun? Other than cheapness any other reason?
    Just curious as other than cheapness I can't see it is all.
    I may want to try it.
    I shoot them in most of my guns but mostly with black powder with a ground walnut filler. I get 1750 fps with 70 grains of 3fg in my 45-70 and they are accurate at 300 yards. I had to preserve lead during the last 8 years but also found them to be fun. A lot less trouble to cast than boolits. I do weigh them and reject any that exceed a variance of 1/2 grn. They cast very consistantly at 800 degrees using pure lead. Pleasant plinking. Lee moulds.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    Big case, no neck tension, short barrel, not super fast burning powder.... I'll bet primers are just fine, charge type and weight is way off.
    I second this

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texantothecore View Post
    I shoot them in most of my guns but mostly with black powder with a ground walnut filler. I get 1750 fps with 70 grains of 3fg in my 45-70 and they are accurate at 300 yards. I had to preserve lead during the last 8 years but also found them to be fun. A lot less trouble to cast than boolits. I do weigh them and reject any that exceed a variance of 1/2 grn. They cast very consistantly at 800 degrees using pure lead. Pleasant plinking. Lee moulds.
    I worked with a guy that used balls in his muzzleloader for deer. He said he never had any problem killing deer with them. He swore by them. Of course he was shooting a 50 caliber rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBore45 View Post
    I second this
    I third this.

Ive seen partially unburned powder causing jams when running a slow burning powder with an extreemly light charge with light cast.

As I aproached heavier charge weights, problem went away. But I switched to a faster powder realizing I was far from optimum burn rate for my aplication.

I assume the round ball has less friction, as well as being lighter, both combined it doesnt create enough back pressure to keep a slower powder burning properly.

I say go with a faster powder or larger charge.

Be safe.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12