RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where can I find scientific data on long term effects of water quenching?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dimaprok View Post
    You are already annealing whatever you want it or not when you are baking your powder coat. I had bullets drop really hard because i run my pot 780-800F and if i bake at 400F and BHN drops. I tried Elvis ammo low temperature method and it doesn't work but baking @ 450 does!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    As in, bake at 450 to PC and quench out of the oven with PC on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Currently in the process of developing the "perfect" cast .223 load for my AR-15. Click here to follow my progress

Quote Originally Posted by BHuij View Post

Thats my method when I do rifle bullets, i line them up spray them and transfer to oven, bake at 450 for 20 min and dump immediately in to icey water bucket. For pistol bullets shake and dump on mesh tray, bake at 400 for 10-15 min, water quench. I tried heat treating some pistol bullets for 357 magnum that were already powder coated, i put them on their bases on the tray and did same 450 for 20 the result was significant increase in BHN. The coat became darker but otherwise OK. You always want to water quench if you want hard otherwise they will anneal to your alloy base composition hardness.

Quote Originally Posted by BHuij View Post

If you are new to PC lookup elvis ammo and fortune cookie 45lc on youtube although their methods are slightly diffrent.

Quote Originally Posted by dimaprok View Post
    you might be right about overcooking PC, my oven also overheats compare to dial. I noticed some bullets will have little "chip" of PC missing (on the nose usually) and I am afraid to try the hammer but the good news I am getting no leading that I can see, I am going to order cheap borescope and see. I haven't shot lead bullets to really determine long term leading plus I am experimenting with traditional lube and I shoot FMJ bullets.

So over the weekend i decided to test it the flattening with the hammer- it passed. I am still seeing little chips of PC missing but now I know it has to to be something else perhaps bullets falling from the tray and on the way to bucket hitting tray or something. There are no dents only PC missing, could also be my cheap HF powder.

Boolit Master

<------ another tight wad with a lee hardness tester. I am proud of what I can accomplish with .05 cent bullet. I like watching Elvis ammo and FortuneCookie. I have used tips for both of them. Pre warming my bullets helped a lot. Elvis put them in the oven, i just set mine on top of the toaster oven while i do a batch. They don't over heat that way and perfectly warmed to where i want them when i am ready to coat them.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12