Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Series I sear stoning fixture from Brownells

Banned

Series I sear stoning fixture from Brownells

I recently purchase a series I stoning fixture from Brownells for the expressed purpose of doing a trigger job on a new Springfield Range Master 1911 in 45acp. The trigger pull was around 8lbs. A simple stoning and replacement of the sear spring and hammer spring has resulted in a trigger pull of 3.5 lbs as recorded on my electronic trigger pull machine thing. The wifes Kimber registered at 5lbs and I did the same to it and the results were average trigger pull of 3.2 lbs.

Would anyone care to share their results?

I have an Ed Brown stoning system I got from Brownells along with their square ceramic stones and a trigger track stone. I didn't change any springs but did some bending of the sear spring. It's been a while ago but I think trigger pulls of both my 3 inch and 5 inch Kimbers started out at around 5 pounds. Both ended up right at 3 1/4 pounds.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bosterr View Post
    I have an Ed Brown stoning system I got from Brownells along with their square ceramic stones and a trigger track stone. I didn't change any springs but did some bending of the sear spring. It's been a while ago but I think trigger pulls of both my 3 inch and 5 inch Kimbers started out at around 5 pounds. Both ended up right at 3 1/4 pounds.
    Your reply has me taking the Springfield apart again looking for a better trigger pull yet. Most people don't equate good trigger pull with better shooting scores. Granted I wouldn't carry the Springfield for protection because I use a cheaper Glock 23 for that. If one is in the position of having to use their carry weapon at least with the glock I'm not out that much money when they take it for 1/2 a year and manage to drop it and abuse it before getting it back.

One must be careful which leaf to tweak and how much, you can go too far. It's very possible to have to gun fire by just hitting the slide stop to chamber a round from the magazine. There are surfaces such as the back end of the trigger bow and the disconnector that can be polished as well. I strongly advise going over the 1911 forum, tons of good info there. I'm strictly a handgun hunter/shooter and every single handgun I own I've worked on the trigger to some degree. Let us know how it works out for you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bosterr View Post
    One must be careful which leaf to tweak and how much, you can go too far. It's very possible to have to gun fire by just hitting the slide stop to chamber a round from the magazine. There are surfaces such as the back end of the trigger bow and the disconnector that can be polished as well. I strongly advise going over the 1911 forum, tons of good info there. I'm strictly a handgun hunter/shooter and every single handgun I own I've worked on the trigger to some degree. Let us know how it works out for you.
    Years ago I tweeked the leaf and it had me spending too much time trying to get it right. Older now so I just buy the competition sear spring/leaf assembly and drop it in.

Boolit Master

Back in the day all the Army teams armours had a jig set up, stoned 1911 sears, polished hammers, back of trigger stirrup and just about all contact surfaces. Someone had sears nitrited hardened, sear broke and you know what happened! Like 6bg6ga, I just buy the " pre fixed" set ups and drop them in. Polish some internals and thats it. No more match shooting for me.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Banned
    Fueled by others that have been able to reach the 3 lb mark I took both guns apart again and there now at 3.00 trigger pull each. This is with some polishing of the trigger assembly, sear spring replacement, and hammer spring replacement along with stoning the sear. I didn't bent the sear spring because I've had instances in my past where I did it and it came back to bite me in the butt.
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 04-01-2018 at 07:43 AM.