Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Liver and Onions

Banned
    love gizzards as well. Yes grew up poor but the food we ate was mainly raised by us and butchered by us. Love scrambled brains and eggs as well

Moderator Emeritus

Nope, can't do it... mom worked in a grocery store when I was little and the meat market guy knew we were poor and struggling so a lotof the stuff that didn't get bought was given to mom a day before expiration... meaning a a LOT of liver... like liver 3-4 days a week for 3 years... BARF I can't do it!

Boolit Grand Master

We was so poor any kind of meat was looked forward to , compared to armadillo and possum ... liver was a treat . But my mom was a good cook and she made it taste good and we always had it with grits.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

An acquired taste I'm sure...

My mother discovered a receipe for cooking liver that does not involve bacon. you cook the liver in Olive oil
    with your onions and when it's sitting in the pan with the cooked onions and adequately done you dump in
    a cup of redwine vinegar
    also fresh Basil was involved but I'm not sure when it's best to add it.

I also on my own came up with a way of cooking chicken livers in butter with onions, bell peppers a adding a bunch of curry powder and serving over rice that I think is kinda good.... but I've never made it any kind of receipe that can be recorded I make it up as I go along...

Moderator Emeritus

Best time to add fresh basil would be right before plating or it turns black...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by eric123 View Post
    An acquired taste I'm sure...
    Was you referring to the armadillo, the possum or the liver? I never could acquire a really raving good liking for possum. I ate it but I will eat most anything .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

just don't put a pot of chopped liver and a bunch of crackers in front of me , and then hope it'll stay intact for half an hour .

fail

Boolit Master
    Welllllllllllll howdy.That`s what I had for supper tonight.
    Along with mashed taters,green beans and corn.Washed down with a nice cold beer.Outstanding.Have two pieces left over for sammies for supper tomorrow.Only thing better than that.....................is more.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Nope, can't do it... mom worked in a grocery store when I was little and the meat market guy knew we were poor and struggling so a lotof the stuff that didn't get bought was given to mom a day before expiration... meaning a a LOT of liver... like liver 3-4 days a week for 3 years... BARF I can't do it!
    Yea , cheap food ...potatoes , bread , gravy , beans , soup , hamburger and yes organ meat , lol . But I still like all of it .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Master
    Mom used to cook it to a fair-the-well. Didn't have a good piece of beef liver until I got married. Yep! bacon fat, lots of onion and liver cooked to still very pink.

Even though Mom always cooked it to shoe leather, she said best liver was "fresh deer's liver".
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

To those who dislike liver and state that it is a filter as a reason, please recall what part of an animal a predator will often eat first!

Watch a Cheetah/Leopard or any big cat for that matter!

Banned
    wash, slice, soak in milk over night, drain and pat dry, roll in flour, salt and pepper. Fry in bacon grease or butter,just browning both sides. DO NOT OVERCOOK. Start cooking the onions, mushrooms and bacon until just about done before adding liver to skillet. YUM

Boolit Master
    yes indeed, do not over cook the liver.

Boolit Master
    liver is the ticket round here I use it for trap bait in the spring, treats for my mastiffs and you better believe some even finds its way to the table just put in a order for fresh today 600 lbs lets just say I'm pretty sure its one of the food groups by itself.

Boolit Master
    Just picked up a lb of calf and pork liver today. The wife gave me the look.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12