Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Best Hunting Ammo for 300 BO

Boolit Master

Best Hunting Ammo for 300 BO

I’m not into AR’s, but a buddy of mine bought an AR in 300 BO for deer hunting. He is not a reloader and is looking for a readily available round for his new AR. Seems most ammo he finds is FMJ. He may have to order online.

Those of you who have this combination... what do you recommend?
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Banned
    Barnes with the 110 or 120 gr bullet. Specifically made to work at 300 B/O velocity.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/ammunition/vor-tx-rifle/

I hope your buddy realizes a 30-30 is more powerful ! Keep it to 100 yards, broadside lung shots only.

Boolit Master

My buddy has been using his 270 and also has a 35 Rem. He thinking of letting his daughter use the AR to hunt with.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    My buddy has been using his 270 and also has a 35 Rem. He thinking of letting his daughter use the AR to hunt with.
    I will get flamed for this observation but; the .300 blackout does not seem a very good candidate for the beginning deer hunter.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't wanna stir anything either. But, the ballistics are not bad for the 300 BO when you consider what the 30 WCF was when it came out.

Quote Originally Posted by ajjohns View Post
    I don't wanna stir anything either. But, the ballistics are not bad for the 300 BO when you consider what the 30 WCF was when it came out.
    aj, I don't think the performance of the .30 WCF AKA .30-30 has changed significantly since it first appeared. My thought is that the round will not be very forgiving for a less than optimal shot. First time hunters can get excited.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

The .300 is actually a good choice for stand hunting. The low recoil lets the beginner reach their accuracy level flinch free. I would limit the kid to 100 yds max and use supersonic ammo with a good expanding bullet.
    Lots of veteran hunters are using it here in Texas with good results. I haven't shot a deer with mine-yet. But Lord willing I will come next season. It's between the .30 carbine and 30-30 and piles of deer have fallen to those two. Bullet placement is key and more power doesn't help much without it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    aj, I don't think the performance of the .30 WCF AKA .30-30 has changed significantly since it first appeared. My thought is that the round will not be very forgiving for a less than optimal shot. First time hunters can get excited.
    I beg to differ, it's no worse than a 30-30 and they have dropped many a deer with beginners at the trigger for years. And unlike the 30-30. the recoil with an AR is reduced which make it a great beginner rifle to start someone off with. I do recommend the Barnes bullets, these 110 gr ones are available loaded and as projectiles. They have dropped deer DRT since they come out, and with less recoil you have better shot placement due to less flinch. You can't help buck fever though, but that would happen with any caliber.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/43...free-box-of-20
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300_aac_tac_tx.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	213187
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

I’ll let my buddy know ya’ll’s opinions. He is a very experienced hunter and is fairly savvy about deer rifles, just new to AR’s.
    Most of his hunting is from stands in river bottoms and it will be for his daughter and wife.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The .300 is actually a good choice for stand hunting. The low recoil lets the beginner reach their accuracy level flinch free. I would limit the kid to 100 yds max and use supersonic ammo with a good expanding bullet.
    Lots of veteran hunters are using it here in Texas with good results. I haven't shot a deer with mine-yet. But Lord willing I will come next season. It's between the .30 carbine and 30-30 and piles of deer have fallen to those two. Bullet placement is key and more power doesn't help much without it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    This is spot on recoil is accuracy's nemesis. Kids react to recoil if there is little or no recoil then they shoot very well. Let them shoot a 22 LR under controlled conditions they shoot well give them a 30-06 and you have shots all over the paper and youngster that is afraid to shoot.

I have shot a couple of deer with the controlled chaos from Lehigh defense it is a fantastic effective round.

Boolit Buddy
    When the 30-30 made its debut, it was a 160gr pill at 1970fps. I'm assuming 24-6" barrel. Sierra lists four different powders for the 300 BO, 150 gr making 1950fps, this with a 16" barrel. I doubt any deer knows that difference. Your best friend in hunting is practice, no matter what the rifle/cartridge combo is. Grinch, I think this round, in any rifle is a good beginners deer gun. Use the gun that's comfortable, put a good scope on it, limit the ranges and practice. Are there better ones out there? Sure. But we don't always need better.
    Last edited by ajjohns; 02-02-2018 at 11:19 AM.