RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: How many drive belts have you replaced on your HF Dual Drum Tumbler?

Boolit Master

How many drive belts have you replaced on your HF Dual Drum Tumbler?

I just used the last of the 3 spare belts supplied with my 2 year old HF tumbler. I Had a 3 1/8" x 1/8" "O" ring so I put that on, seems to work well. Just wondering what kind of mileage everyone is getting on their belts.

Boolit Master

I am still running on the original, but then I have only done half a dozen batches.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

I swapped to a heavy duty vacuum belt for my thumbler and added a little bracket to adjust it so it wouldn't be too tight.
    That may or may not be an option for you with the HF's unit. The thing to look at is if the pulley sheaves are lined up straight so that they don't constantly wear on one side of the belt making it thinner until it gives out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1330.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	213080

The other thing to consider is the total weight of the filled drum...too much weight can add to shortening the life of the belt and the motor.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I have 2 HF Rotary tumblers - replaced the belt on one only once after several years of use
    Ebay has replacements ...
    Last edited by Pressman; 01-31-2018 at 05:08 PM. Reason: No eBay links, ever
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

i'd have to give a +1 on a vacuum belt idea. they are tough suckers. I no longer use a roller tumbler, a vibratory one only now..

Boolit Master

If the HF tumbler belts and too tight they will fail within hours. They run the longest with just enough tension to drive the drums.

Boolit Grand Master

Zero. Ran first HF tumbler about 12 years trouble free (until I "improved" it). My second one is still going strong after 8 years of use...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    I have yet to change a belt on my unit. My father has been using his for several years on the belt that came in it, no issues. The above mentioned, about weight of loaded drums is most likely the cause of the short belt life. However it was also said about pulley alignment. Very possible to be a contributing factor. If my belt slips during operation it is due to me overloading the drums. YMMV - CASTER
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Quote Originally Posted by CASTER OF LEAD View Post
    I have yet to change a belt on my unit. My father has been using his for several years on the belt that came in it, no issues. The above mentioned, about weight of loaded drums is most likely the cause of the short belt life. However it was also said about pulley alignment. Very possible to be a contributing factor. If my belt slips during operation it is due to me overloading the drums. YMMV - CASTER
    Something else I though of is having that belt get wet and slipping....isn't that motor in the HF unit down below the drum...and if the drum leaks, will it drip on the belt/pulley causing it to spin instead of pull?

Just spitwadding here as I don't have/never used or seen one of the HF units outside of a picture here in forum...
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Something else I though of is having that belt get wet and slipping....isn't that motor in the HF unit down below the drum...and if the drum leaks, will it drip on the belt/pulley causing it to spin instead of pull?

Just spitwadding here as I don't have/never used or seen one of the HF units outside of a picture here in forum...
    Negative! The motor on mine is is encase on one end. Unless the water source came from elsewhere . The drums ride in an open bottom area on the unit. Good thought though. could see how that is plausible if it could happen.- CASTER
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Zero - been several years and around 250,000+ rounds cleaned....

Boolit Master

Can't remember exactly, but I reckon it's been 10 yrs. +/- and still on the original.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master
    Mines only 2-3 yrs old haven't had a problem and I've run it several times 3 week straight tumbling rocks for the kids.

Boolit Master

4+ years on the original and it gets used weekly.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

O-rings make great replacements for factory tumbler belts...
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Master

if you can find a kevlar reinforced belt in your size they last a long time as well, especially in drive situations.