MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: 32 ACP 75 grain RNFP COAL

32 ACP 75 grain RNFP COAL

I picked this mold for 32 ACP 75 grain RNFP Ranch Dog design with tumble lube grooves. Finally getting set up to try it and find the bullet having a fat diameter the front binds in the magazine until seated to at least a .939 or less COAL. I have read that less than .940 is minimum to avoid increased chance of one cartridge sliding forward so that it locks rims with the next and fails to feed.

My thinking is since the bullet probably can't move forward with the fat nose touching the inside front of the magazine along the sides where magazine tapers it should be OK but thought I would ask here to see if someone had some experience to share for this sort of situation. That hitting the sides with the front edges of the bullet is why the OAL had to be reduced. Simply wouldn't feed up without getting wedged.

I'm planning on using 1.8 grains of Unique to start. This is published starting load data for an 85 grain cast bullet but this bullet will be seated a bit deeper and is 5 grains lighter. Seemed like a fair trade off as far as pressure goes.

Bullets are sized to .311 and tumble lubed before and after sizing.

This is the mold, mine are dropping at 80 grains but I think that is due to using a 50/50 WW/Pb + Sn alloy which is a touch heavier than straight WW's listed for the mold specifications. I was thinking I would PC these after I got a load and bullet configuration worked out so a little softer alloy would work fine. Hope I didn't make a mistake with that since I cast ~700 of them.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...oducts_id=2902
    Last edited by RogerDat; 02-02-2018 at 01:16 PM.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    80 grains is a good weight for the .32 ACP. For a practice load 2.0 grains of Bullseye cycles most guns.

For a "full charge" load use either 2 grains of TiteGroup, 3 grains of Unique, 3 grains of AutoComp or 5.6 grains of Alliant #2400 with MINIMUM Ctg. OAL 0.945", do not seat shorter! do not exceed powder charge!

I don't use the RD bullet, but either Accurate 31-077B, 31-087, 31-087T or 31-090B at 0.95" OAL with the above charges.

Attachment 213088Attachment 213089Attachment 213090Attachment 213091
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Has a profile much like your diagram of the S367.
    I have the bullet dragging against inside of magazine at the point of .35 width where the radius to the FP begins. The stack doesn't move up the magazine if that "corner" is too far forward. Looks like I'm going to have to try and creep up on that .945 from .939 and see if I can get the stack to feed.

I do have a pound of Bullseye, and have heard it is a good choice. Just had a whole pile of Unique and Lymans listed it as top choice for cast 85 grain so I was going to try that. But you're the second person to suggest BE so I may have to give it a try.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have used hundreds of these and cast a couple thousand. Mine are the original LEE RD design and are loaded to an OAL of .905. I have had good results with both of my steel frame 32 autos, the Colt and the FN. Loaded out, initially to .925, I had some initial difficulties with rounds binding in the magazine. Ranch Dog Suggested an OAL of .915, but I stll had a bit of concern with my FN so I load them a smidge shorter and reduce my load a bit--.2 grains from max, IIRC
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3703 (2).jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	213107
    Last edited by rintinglen; 01-31-2018 at 03:41 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    I have used hundreds of these and cast a couple thousand. Mine are the original LEE RD design and are loaded to an OAL of .905. I have had good results with both of my steel frame 32 autos, the Colt and the FN. Loaded out, initially to .925, I had some initial difficulties with rounds binding in the magazine. Ranch Dog Suggested an OAL of .915, but I stll had a bit of concern with my FN so I load them a smidge shorter and reduce my load a bit--.2 grains from max, IIRC
    My task is a bit easier, I'll be loading them to fit and function in only one Bersa so I only have to make it fit, function and be accurate for that use not multiple different pistols. Every time I get to futzing with bottom feeding auto loaders I'm reminded why I have always liked revolvers But this is my grandson's favorite, I think he sees it as being like the PPK carried by James Bond, which it does resemble.

Sounds like you seat deeper than book loads but reduce load. Which was somewhat the direction I was leaning. What did you use as lube? I tumble with 45/45/10 Alox/Paste Wax/mineral spirits or the 60/40 mix of Johnson's no buff and Alox.

You don't say what powder you are reducing by .2 grains or so.

I'm hoping that we find a load so I can lube and load up two or three hundred. They were casting so nice I have over 700 count already cast.

Boolit Grand Master
    I load 2.2 grains of WW-231 (shown on the Pic) and use Recluse or BLL tumble lube. Somewhere, I got 2.5 grains as a max load, IIRC from the old RD site. Ranch Dog suggests 2.9 grains of Universal with the .915 OAL, but that is not a powder I use.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 02-02-2018 at 02:44 AM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Ranch Dog has load info for that bullet at the NOE site. Click on "load notes found here!" and then the load notes for 30 cal.

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/\
    A deplorable that votes!

Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    Ranch Dog has load info for that bullet at the NOE site. Click on "load notes found here!" and then the load notes for 30 cal.

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/\
    Thanks! That shows a min COAL that is really short. .839 while I'm up at .939 so I do have some wiggle room there. Those loads have some pretty decent velocity going for them. This will be an interesting experiment. Feed reliability is first task. Followed by small tweaks to arrive at a hopefully accurate round.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My experience in .32 ACP is that in the tiny case pressure spikes quickly with increased seating depth and shorter overall cartridge lengths. Also, if the magazine box is profiled and dimensioned to accept FMJRN ammo, a JHP or LFN round shorter than 0.945" permits individual rounds to shuffle in the vertical stack inside the magazine and you are setting yourself up for a "rimlock" situation.

The short OALs you see in .32 ACP are predicated on the Seecamp pistol, which has a short magazine dimensioned for the 60-grain Winchester Silvertip and similar rounds. 73-grain FMJ will not even fit into the magazine for that pistol.

But If YOUR PISTOL has a magazine box which DOES accept factory FMJRN ammo, do not load your rounds shorter than 0.945"

In my testing I found that the Buffalo Bore 75-grain FN was a "Jam-O-Matic" in most guns and I would not carry it. However, using either the Accurate 31-077B or 31-090B bullets at 0.95" OAL, you can match the Buffalo Bore velocity and the guns will run 100%

The 90-grain Accurate bullet hits harder and penetrates deeper than the Buffalo Bore load.

Attachment 213253Attachment 213254Attachment 213255

Buffalo Bore left, Accurate right.

Ammunition ________________Beretta Tomcat 2.4”____Beretta M1935 3.4”

Buffalo Bore 75-grain LFN_________883, fps, 6 Sd__________997 fps, 7 Sd

Acc.31-077B LD#7 5.6 #2400______892, 26 Sd______________998, 22 Sd
    Acc. 31-077B LD#4 3.0 Unique_____965, 26 Sd_____________1067 fps, 19 Sd
    Acc. 31-090B LD#0, 3.0 AutoComp+P_915 fps, 16 Sd________999, 14 Sd

These loads are NOT recommended to be used in the Beretta Tomcat or Keltec pistols, because they are "frame crackers." They shoulds be used in STEEL FRAME .32 ACPs only.
    My Beretta 1935, Colt M1903 and Walther PP run them well. For steady use with these +P loads the stock .32 ACP recoil spring should be replaced with the .380 ACP spring kit for the same model.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 02-02-2018 at 01:48 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I have that mold in 3-cav from NOE. I shoot it out of my CZ-70 loaded over 2.2 gr. BE with an OAL of .915" (RD's design recommendation). Very accurate and reliable.

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by Boolseye View Post
    I have that mold in 3-cav from NOE. I shoot it out of my CZ-70 loaded over 2.2 gr. BE with an OAL of .915" (RD's design recommendation). Very accurate and reliable.
    Are those molds still available?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Last edited by Boolseye; 02-02-2018 at 08:38 PM.

Boolit Man

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk

I appreciate the links and good advice. I'm probably going to split the difference between outpost75's COAL and the RD specs as provided here. http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/data...2Auto_Rev2.pdf
    Those are listing the shorter .915 as standard.

I'm also seeing where for Unique the min. barrel length given is 5" and I'll have to check for that, think the Bersa is a touch shorter. This is going to be a plinker, and so I won't be loading hot or +P velocities. I figure the grand kid wants hot he can shoot .357 mag or borrow his uncles 44 mag.

I will be cautious because that RD overall length is shorter than other sources and most .32 bullets list along with the experienced voice of outpost. I simply can't get function at .945 because the magazine doesn't feed, it's hard to shake and thump the stuck cartridge up the magazine at that length so that simply isn't an option. At .939 or a little less the magazine stack will start to feed up without getting jammed. And for reliability I would go a touch shorter to start. Say .937 or so. There really isn't any forward and back slop in the magazine at those lengths. I'll use 80% or so of RD listed max load and try them 2 at a time. I'm just not willing to start at .915 since that is so far below any other published source. I might work toward it a bit from .937 but not going to start there.

This is going to take some fussing and working my way toward what will work well, and watching for signs of pressure the whole time. While seeing what I get for accuracy. Should be fun.

Boolit Master

32 ACP 75 grain RNFP COAL

This may be a case where the bullet profile kind of dictates its own OAL. In the case of my CZ, I recall working it up ‘til the “plunk” test passed and they loaded and fed well. Nice work, stay safe.
    -BE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk