Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Making 8x57 from 30-06

Boolit Buddy
    Just a quick touch to the sander, not removing much. Blurs the head stamp enough and used for light plinkers only,primers sit flush still.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Texas by God; 04-03-2018 at 06:47 PM.

I ended up making my own trim die from an old full-length sizing 8mm die. I annealed it and then cut it to length. After I polish it, I will reheat treat it. I have lots of Federal 25-06 & .270 to convert for CB use. No worries about headstamps that way.

Boolit Master
    FL dies are case hardened low carbon steel so they do not have enough carbon on the cut off surface to be heat treated.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I ended up making my own trim die from an old full-length sizing 8mm die. I annealed it and then cut it to length. After I polish it, I will reheat treat it. I have lots of Federal 25-06 & .270 to convert for CB use. No worries about headstamps that way.

EDG

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    FL dies are case hardened low carbon steel so they do not have enough carbon on the cut off surface to be heat treated.
    So carburize it.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master
    Why take the long way? There is nothing to prove by all that work.
    Buy a trim die for $20 off ebay.
    If you are hell bent on doing it yourself just drop a hardened washer over the case neck to protect the top of the die.
    It is even faster to use a Wilson case trimmer case holder and part the case off in a lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    So carburize it.
    EDG

Boolit Master

Carburizing is not hard or expensive. I think he has already cut off the die. He obviously likes to make his own tools. Or remake them.

Think like a handy retired person with fixed income but lots of tools. Then it will make sense.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    A few musings.

Boolit Master
    Why bother?
    I have done that very thing 40 years ago. It is not worth the trouble.
    Try thinking like a real tool maker.

Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    Carburizing is not hard or expensive. I think he has already cut off the die. He obviously likes to make his own tools. Or remake them.

Think like a handy retired person with fixed income but lots of tools.

Then it will make sense.
    EDG

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Why bother?
    I have done that very thing 40 years ago. It is not worth the trouble.
    Try thinking like a real tool maker.
    EDG- thanks for your input. I'll do what I want anyway as always. It's no bother.

Banner Sponsor

I've got a 9.3x57 Mauser and ordered some PPC 8x57 brass for it. I use that for all of my jacketed loads, but I wanted to try converting some 30-06 cases to use for cast.
    I started with some once fired Rem cases and just used the lyman case trimmer to cut them down to 57mm + a little.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	93brass-trim.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	217752

Next I lubed them and ran through the 9.3x57 sizer die and deburred the case mouth. A single pass through the sizer and they came out looking great.

Name:	93brass-01.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	217751

I measured the necks and they were .015" at the base of the neck, so they needed turning.
    I didn't have a 9.3 mandrel for the Hornady neck turner, so I opened the necks up with a 375 expander button.

Name:	93brass-turn.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	217754

Then turned the necks to get .012" wall thickness.

Name:	93brass-measured.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	217753

After turning the necks I ran them back through the 9x3.57 sizer die and did a final trim to get the correct lenth.
    With all of the sizing, I annealed the necks.

Name:	93brass-annealed.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	217755

Boolit Buddy
    behind the lines of enemy territory,60 miles from NYC
    I just cut to size(I marked on harbor freight mini saw), lube by spray, run them slow & steady through a FL die, then trim & prep as you would
    any other case. I dont anneal & I get many reloads in different 98 mausers.
    (I used to use a redding trim die before the mini saw, but saw is faster& no issues)

I am using some odd 270 size brass. The expander is out of the die. Have tried expanding necks to 7mm before sizing in 8mm die (RCBS FL), bent the necks. Tried trimming then expanding to 30 cal, split the case. So what's the trick to go from .270 to .323. Oh, tried sizing, trimming and then using universal expander and split the neck.

Now as Paul Harvey says, the rest of th story. Some fool converted these 3006 cases to 270. I picked them up cheap at a garage sale and did not catch it till today when I started counting out 50 to convert to 8x57. Probably more then once fired so may try annealing next then... How do I get there?
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    If you have any junk cases or .30-06 berdans use them for process development so you do not scrap good brass.

Try expanding with a long tapered expander. You may have to make or modify an existing expander. Redding makes those tapered buttons or you can grind an existing button.
    Open up the neck to .30 cal from .270.
    Then open to 8mm.

Your brass may need annealing of the necks or it may need 2 or 3 expander steps. You can determine what is necessary by experimentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    I am using some odd 270 size brass. The expander is out of the die. Have tried expanding necks to 7mm before sizing in 8mm die (RCBS FL), bent the necks. Tried trimming then expanding to 30 cal, split the case. So what's the trick to go from .270 to .323. Oh, tried sizing, trimming and then using universal expander and split the neck.

Now as Paul Harvey says, the rest of th story. Some fool converted these 3006 cases to 270. I picked them up cheap at a garage sale and did not catch it till today when I started counting out 50 to convert to 8x57. Probably more then once fired so may try annealing next then... How do I get there?
    Xu
    Last edited by Minerat; 07-23-2018 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Deleted spam link from quote
    EDG

I have found that the neck expansion die intended for use with the Sinclair neck turning tool to work very well when making the conversion of 30-06 or 270 to 8mm. The expansion die body and various mandrels are available separately. Gp

Banned
    Comparing the original post, there's a spam link.
    If it is here, it may be all over the board.

Boolit Master

I don't see any kind of link in the original post of this thread.
    A few musings.

Banned
    I tried regular reloading dies to resize the cases at first then went with the RCBS TRIM 8MMX57 MAUSER DIE -- much better
    I wasn't a big fan of cutting with/on the die so I ended up using a small tubing cutter. I marked a few cases and saw where I needed to position the tubing cutter so I only had a couple thou to take off on my case trimmer.

IF your splitting necks try annealing before sizing, so far I haven't split any necks. (knock on wood)

I only used military cases without any calibers marked on them to help eliminate any possible confusion

Not a good pic but here's my results. I used 25-06, .270, & 30-06 brass. I used a trim die made from a cutoff fl die at first to move the shoulder back. Later I switched to a mini chop saw(Yes!) After cutoff, I annealed them then took the 25 thru a .270 die, then the .270s thru the 30-06 die, then All thru the 8mm CH die. This has an abrupt expander so a bit of quick muscle was needed. I used Hornady sizing wax throughout.
    217grNOE326471F / 30.2(2.2cc) H4895
    I lost one case out of 30. The neck split on a Federal 25-06. Thanks to you all for your help.
    Thomas

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    I know I'm late to the party, but,,,,,,,

I have two jigs made by Von Zep for 300 BLK and 7,92x57, that are made to mount to the Harbor Freight Mini Chop Saw that are the ONLY way I would think about doing it after cutting a couple of hundred down by hand with the case trimmer.

With .270 I ran them up as far as they would go in a Lee FL die sans expander, ran them through the chop saw, then finish FL'd them. I do not remember losing a single case. If you set up the HF saw well, there is minimal touch up in the case trimmer.

I just peeked at VonZep's store, not sure if the 8mm model is in stock or not, but I HIGHLY recommend their jigs if doing more than a handful,,,,,

https://www.zepreloading.com/store/c..._Products.html

https://www.zepreloading.com/video-o...in-action.html

(skip to the 2:00 mark)
    https://youtu.be/6q-N4nai6_4
    Last edited by Hamish; 07-24-2018 at 10:27 PM.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

I finally settled on, annealing cases, flair case mouths, run thru 7mm expander, the 308 expander and finally the 8mm and rough trim to length. Once I annealed the cases they stopped splitting. Thanks all for your suggestions.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast