RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything

Thread: Pocked up this 45-70 ammo today.

Vendor Sponsor

Picked up this 45-70 ammo today, is this collectible?

I bought these 3 boxes today off a guy and was really just wanting them to reclaim and reload the brass. Showed them to a retired marine buddy and hes telling me to list on gunbroker, they are really collector items. Looking for your opinions. Western box is stamped 62, not sure on Peters. The UMC is interesting, i took one apart and looks like cordite, and still burned...
    Last edited by Lakehouse2012; 01-30-2018 at 10:29 PM.

Banned
    Yes they are collectable. Gun Broker or our S&S section would be a great way to pass them along.
    They are worth more to collect than recycling the old brass.

Boolit Bub
    The Peters box is 1962 to @ 1969. The Western box is older (late 1930's to mid 40's if my memory is right). The UMC box is much older, Remington and UMC combined @ 1908 and labeling changed sometime after that to show both companies (Remington/UMC). All are at least somewhat collectible though the Western and Peters boxes are not going to bring a big premium over shooting ammo.

Boolit Master
    they are all balloon heads. be careful old brass like them will sometimes separate at the base on shooting.

Boolit Master

Cordite? So it was off-white long strands like spaghetti? That would be VERY collectible. I'd love to see a picture of that.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    Cordite? So it was off-white long strands like spaghetti? That would be VERY collectible. I'd love to see a picture of that.
    Wish i kept the powder, i did a controlled burn right after taking the pic...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Vendor Sponsor

I wont shoot these. Havent even decided if i want to sell them yet...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by desi23 View Post
    The Peters box is 1962 to @ 1969. The Western box is older (late 1930's to mid 40's if my memory is right). The UMC box is much older, Remington and UMC combined @ 1908 and labeling changed sometime after that to show both companies (Remington/UMC). All are at least somewhat collectible though the Western and Peters boxes are not going to bring a big premium over shooting ammo.
    Very knowledgeable. An easy way to tell how vintage ammo is is the child warning -- that did not come about until 1962. I believe you to be correct on the other boxes also.

I've collected 22 boxes almost my whole life, dad got me started. Haven't bought any recently as prices have skyrocketed. A good way to tell worth is to see what similar items sell for on gunbroker etc.

GREAT BOXES!

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master

Thanks for the picture. It looks like a common extruded American type powder, probably single base (nitrocellulose), but only a chemical test could make that certain. It is missing the graphite coating that promotes flow and reduces static, thus the color.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    A few musings.

Vendor Sponsor

Am I wrong about the Cordite? When you say common extruded powder, you are saying it's not Cordite, right? I was making an assumption since off-white that it must be. But honestly I've never seen any... I'm guessing I shouldn't disassemble anymore to have it checked.... wouldn't do me any good anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    Thanks for the picture. It looks like a common extruded American type powder, probably single base (nitrocellulose), but only a chemical test could make that certain. It is missing the graphite coating that promotes flow and reduces static, thus the color.

Boolit Master

Yes, I was trying to break it to you gently. It just lacks the graphite powder that would make it black.
    A few musings.

Boolit Master
    Attached is a picture of cordite from a WWII British 303. The small disc was under the bullet.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN