Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kerosene to degrease brass?

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    There is a lanolin/ heat mixture that works great for sizing.
    Of that I'm sure but I thought he said he was using clean motor oil .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Banned
    My point was there is a far better way of doing it. Using motor oil is a crude ineffective way of doing it. Motor oil is messy, attracts dirt and dust to the cases and to the sizing die. I've personally mixed up batches of heat and lanolin (heat with alcohol not meth) and sprayed the brass and forgot about the brass until the next day and sat down and sized and it works great. Once done the lanolin/heat mixture comes off either in a tumbler or in the ultrasonic cleaner. Anyone interested in sizing without denting surely in most cases would opt for the lanolin/heat mixture for a sizing lube. I've tried it with a lot of calibers and have loaned my bottle out to other people to try and its done bout everything with the exception of 50 cal.

My suggestion is to drop the motor oil jump into this century and try what other folks use and minimize your time and effort. All I can say is you can take a horse to water but you can't make them drink. I've done my share.

My solution is Imperial Sizing wax, I use it to resize MG fired LC .308 brass, simply wipes off, no mess no fuss. Gotta use the right tools sometime
    μολών λαβέ

Boolit Master

My method is to use lube to deprime / resize then wet tumble. I even do this with carbide pistol dies for 357, 44, 500 S&W etc. My mixture for that is a rounded teaspoon lemi-shine or equivalent, small squirt car soap (I prefer Blue Coral) and a 1/4ish cup simple green then top off with water. My tumbler is about 3/4 gallon size. This is a fail safe method that produces extraordinary results with no harsh chemicals. I have done thousands cases using this method and am still amazed on how nice the brass comes out. Hope this helps.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Quote Originally Posted by jeepyj View Post
    My method is to use lube to deprime / resize then wet tumble. I even do this with carbide pistol dies for 357, 44, 500 S&W etc. My mixture for that is a rounded teaspoon lemi-shine or equivalent, small squirt car soap (I prefer Blue Coral) and a 1/4ish cup simple green then top off with water. My tumbler is about 3/4 gallon size. This is a fail safe method that produces extraordinary results with no harsh chemicals. I have done thousands cases using this method and am still amazed on how nice the brass comes out. Hope this helps.
    I bought the little HF tumbler I size and deprime all my brass. Then clean it in water and ss pins with Dawn and Lemishine. Before I got this setup. I used a tumbler and media and I wiped the cases down with nail polish remover. That removed the bulk of the lube.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that does it this way. A lot of my friends clean their brass then lube it, load it then just wipe it off and shoot it.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

For me I use Unique that is out by Hornady that I use to size my brass with. First I run them with ground walnut and then size and deprime and then use corn cobs that are grounded and run the case in that an then I load.If they are too dirty I use cirtic acid after I size and lube.and then use corn cobs.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I can't believe what I've read on this thread, we can't really have people in 2018 using gasoline to do anything other than running a combustion engine can we. Just a very small amount of fumes can be very explosive.
    I remember a visit from a team of gentlemen who were employed by Esso( now Exon) who came to our Jr. High School in Baton Rouge, La. to educate us on the dangers of chemicals in our homes. When they took a eye dropper of gasoline and put it in a glass beaker and shook it up. They then poured any of the gasoline that was left out. They put a cork on the beaker that had a small spark plug and when it was fired, the cork was proplled across the room with a loud boom. There was not a single person who didn't jump. Up until that time, myself and all my friends used gas to clean everything as it was only .25 cents a gallon. I never again used
    gas !!!
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master
    I use gas all the time for cleaning. It's cheap and works very well. I do make an effort not to contain the fumes and then light them. For my brass I use Hornady Unique and then just wipe it off with a dry cloth. 60 years using gas and still no BOOMs.

Boolit Master

Safer to just use naptha and denat alcohol vs gas, of course, at that point, it's. ALMOST gas anyway!

Boolit Master

Hot water and Dawn dish soap will take all the lube off.

Boolit Man
    I use 1 oz of lanolin to 7 oz 91% isopropyl alcohol in a mister bottle. Brass in a ziploc, spritz, shake, let the alcohol evaporate. Cleans up with soap and water, and the lanolin is much friendlier to your skin than a lot of the other lubes.
    Don't want no one to git hurt, but if you're gonna have a wreck, I wanna watch.

Boolit Bub
    For the record mineral spirits is a catch-all name for several agents such as 'paint thinner, Stoddards etc. The quality is everywhere as generic paint thinner is often a recycled and filtered product. Regardless, all of it does indeed contain some oil and if you require proof then merely pour a bit on some clean glass, let it flash or dry, then with your fingertip or a towel rub the surface for proof. When I was in the industrial and marine coating business you soon learn that this stuff will create serious bonding problems and void warranties for applicators. Don't use it to clean brass much better stuff out there.

Boolit Master

It covers a range of light aromatic hydrocarbons.

I lay the brass out on an old towel. I mist it with some 91% alcohol in a spray bottle and fold the towel over the top of the brass. I roll them around for a little bit and I'm done. I don't obsess over getting it scrupulously lube free. This seems to work for me and takes very little time.

Boolit Master
    gasoline, kerosene; IQ level??!!!. try imperial sizing die wax (think it goes by another name now). i'll never use the sticky goey stuff again. if that is all that i had and needed to size brass with it; i know that i have enough sense not to use petroleum products to clean the brass.

My loading room is not in the shop,therefore the chemicals need to be right much more polite than certain products listed in this thread.Further,if the wife can be employed for stocking said loading room,much the better.So,Q-tips.....Finger nail polish remover(actetone)....scotchbright.....and anything else that she can get at the grocery store is fair game.I use FNPR- finger nail polish remover.We buy acetone and Laq thinner in bulk for the shop.The FNPR comes in nice sized bottles,don't rip the foil safety seal off,make a hole with a small punch,thataway it dispenses at a dribble.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    Also of note, was they were not using straight ethanol, but rather 'aggressive ethanol', which was a solution of water, ethanol, salt and sulfuric acid.
    That explains things somewhat. When I first saw the statement that ethanol may cause stress-corrosion cracking on brass my first reaction was to call BS. But if it's a mixture, well maybe.

Thanks for the link to the paper, I will make a note to read through it tonight when I have some time.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --BattleRife

Boolit Master

Yup, that aggressive ethanol may be a world of difference.

Good luck.

I use Hornady's "Unique" sizing lube. It's water soluble, but I go one step further. I wet tumble in my Lortorn #12 tumbler with a 6 to 1 solution of lemon juice (the cheap stuff) & water (hot water is best) + a squirt of Dawn (a squirt probably equals 3/4 tp). They come out lubricant free & shiny. I pour off the liquid & pour out the brass on a towel (an old one my wife gave me) & do a 3 fold to contain them. A few back & forth motions & let them sit out in the S. GA sun & they'll be dry in 2 hrs.

Be sure to rinse well.

Henry

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123