Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: De-Rusting the cavities of an H&G mould

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by darrondb View Post
    Evaporust. Great stuff for light rust.
    ^^This^^.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

If it was me I'd use the Evaporust to soften and remove as much of the rust as possible. Then cast some bullets, drip/tap the base of several for a screw and then lightly lapp each cavity (turn lapp with a drill) with some fine 400-600 lapping compound.(same amount of seconds for each cavity) The lapping will help smooth out any rust and pits. Iron molds take a lot of lapping with courser compound to change the size so you really do not have to worry about it with fine compound and a short amount of polish time.

Boolit Mold
    Anyone tried CLR, available pretty much anywhere. I haven't used it on a rusted mold yet, but it has worked well on other rusted metals for me.

Boolit Master
    I apply BullPlate to the rust, let it sit for 5 minutes and scrape off the rust (or lead) with a chop stick.

Boolit Grand Master

Another vote for Evapo - Rust Super Rust Remover.
    Back in the dark ages long soaks in kerosene were used...Evapo - Rust works better.
    Scrub with firm bristled toothbrush...avoid wire wheels like the plague.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I took a long hard look at EvapoRust and Naval Jelly.
    I went with naval Jelly and it seemed to work nicely.
    There is still just some minor rust in the cavities that will come out with some elbow grease and some steel wool.
    The mould looks awful but the cavities will probably come out just fine. The bad areas are on the drive bands which will be taken out at resizing anyway.
    This just might work out!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Bub
    I’ve started on my rusty moulds with Kroil but will likely need som navel jelly. The good thing is the cavities look pretty good as all the moulds I have were stored for 20 years, in Arizona. And loaded with lead.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12