Inline FabricationGraf & SonsRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionADvertise hereMidSouth Shooters SupplyStainLess Steel Media

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In need of a gun smith for decent trigger jobs.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Art,

Fifty plus years of having 1911's and 8 that I can put in front of me with 3lb or less triggers guarantees that I can tell a 6lb-7 trigger from a 3 lb. But, I will borrow a gauge so I can back up what I am saying. I'll put money on its 6-7lb.
    I hear that, I'm in the same boat. 5 lbs livable, 6-7 OMG can't hit anything.....

Art

Boolit Master
    Have done a total one trigger job on a 1911. Before I started, it had about a 5 3/4lb pull. When I returned it to the customer, he dry fired it, then turned to me with a big grin and asked what I got it down to. I told him to try it again After that I told him that it was now just over 4 lbs. It was so smooth and short enough that he thought it was much lower. The only tool used was a fine Arkansas stone.

Boolit Master
    Precise angles are needed for a decent trigger job. Sure, you can make it feel better lightly stoning the sear if you know what you are doing. The idea that I wouldn't know the difference between a 4 lb trigger job or a 5+ lb trigger job is somewhat amusing since I have played with guns in excess of 50 years. Generally I can pick up a pistol or revolver and be within 1/4-1/2 lb in guessing the trigger pull. There is no way I will even begin to settle for a 4 lb trigger pull even if its smooth. Its just not good enough for my target shooting. Those wishing to comment here please be advised that I DONT CARRY a 1911 with a light touch trigger. I like to target shoot and as such I enjoy a lite trigger and so do my scores.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12