Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionPBcastco
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bushells new red dot

Banned

bushells new red dot

I see at the shot show bushnell announced a new redot. the trs 26. It has as much battery life as an aimpoint and can be left on for 7 years on one battery and is going to be priced well under 200 bucks. that should send aimpoint and even vortex scrambling to justify the cost of there products. I have a few of the trs25's and there good little rugged units and the only complaint I had with them is battery life. You have to be real careful with them to not leave them on because battery life is in days not years. I also don't like vortex redots on serious guns because they time out and can go off when you most need them. they have a new redot too. the crossfire. It stays on all the time and has a 7000 hour (slightly less then a year) battery life but costs as much as the bushnell which has over 7 times more battery life. Could be a game changer.

I have seen the new Vortex red dot (and consequently ordered one). Haven't seen the new Bushnell one though. Might need to look into that one...

Banned

is it the crossfire red dot you bought and what do you think of it. Ive got sparc's and strikefires and there good reliable units but like I said I hate the auto shut off. Vortex finally listened with the crossfire and got rid of the auto shut off. I just ordered something new to me too. Its the sig sauer romeo 5. It was a 180 bucks and has a movement switch. It goes into sleep mode in a couple minutes and at the lightest touch or movement it comes back on. It has aimpoint like battery life because of this feature. It doesn't sacrifice dot size like the new bushnel and vortex to save on batterys. It also uses a AAA battery instead of a coin battery which I like. I guess time will tell though how reliable it is. I have a couple aimpoints a comp 2 and comp 3. both have been dead reliable and have great battery life but to be honest my vortex's and Bushnell's have been just as reliable and now that they have addressed battery life its going to be hard to justify paying the 600 buck price of an aimpoint.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 01-30-2018 at 08:23 AM.

Boolit Master
    I had two of the trs-25 sights and they both had a lot of parallax. The newer ones after mine weren't quite as bad in that regard. Price alone is not a good reason to buy one brand vs another. Batteries are cheap also. I've owned cheaper red dots where the batteries lasted for a couple of years even when I shot a lot as long as I turned them off. Vortex has a lifetime warranty, what does the Bushnell have? In the world of red dots you kind of get what you pay for. I've owned well over a dozen over the last twenty-five or more years. Even the Burris FF2 and FF3 are a very good sight at an affordable price. Not a cheap price, but an affordable one. Guess it just depends on what you're satisfied with and what you use it for.

I did order the new Crossfire red dot, but it was through Optics Planet and shows as not being able to ship for a couple weeks. I have a strikefire and I like it quite a bit, never really worried about auto shut off. It's pretty much for range fun. If I needed something that stayed on, I would definitely lay out more money for a different optic, though it sounds like with the Crossfire that isn't necessary.

I haven't heard much on the Romeo 5, but Sig Sauer usually puts out good stuff. Even though I've not had to use the Vortex warranty, I've heard from others who have that they are easy to deal with. Lifetime warranty and good customer service are pretty high in my book. Won't make up for the features of the better optics, but I'm not going into combat so I don't worry about those as much.

Boolit Master
    Re: Vortex Venom. It has two modes of operation. There are Auto and Manual. It WILL NOT power down in the manual mode, but it does in the Auto mode after 14 hours. In other words, you can usually hunt all day and it won't power off. In the manual mode you can control the brightness and shut it off yourself when done. It doesn't just shut off on you while you're hunting. Most people use it in Manual mode so that they can control the brightness themselves. In Auto, it's just a bit too bright for experienced users.

Boolit Buddy
    If the TRS 25 had auto shut-off it would be the only one I would own. I have 5 two of which have suffered more abuse than I care to admit to and they still work fine. Water doesn't seem to bother them either.

Banned

yup for under a 100 bucks (last one I bought new cost 50 bucks) there is no competition for them. About any other less then a 100 buck redots are imported junk. Don't know what they will ask for this new one but it doesn't even need auto shut off. battery life is 7 years left on! warrantee is only one year or redots but that said I had a 3 year old bushnell sight (copy of the fastfire) that quit holding zero. It was on a take down 10/22 and I found out later then redot wasn't defective. From the factory the barrel lock up was to loose and the barrel actually was moving. I tightened up the adjustment on the barrel and it was fine after that. So there was nothing wrong with the sight I sent into them. But first guess I had was the optic was bad so I boxed it up and sent it in and two weeks later a brand new one arrived at my door.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingle View Post
    If the TRS 25 had auto shut-off it would be the only one I would own. I have 5 two of which have suffered more abuse than I care to admit to and they still work fine. Water doesn't seem to bother them either.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 01-31-2018 at 08:25 AM.

Boolit Master
    Bushnell "Strike Fire" didn't last 300 rounds, mounted on a BH in 45 LC, before the lens cracked. They only have a one year warranty. I picked this one up cheap, @ $69, when Natchez had a special price on them. It sat for more than a year before I got around to mounting it.

Vortex "SPARC" was on the same BH for a while. What I didn't like was the sight would turn on, in the "across the chest" holster and sometimes shut off when I laid the un-holstered across my lap, up in the tree stand. Bad location for the on/off button. IMO Another snafu, is that when the battery gets low......unit won't turn off. I called the factory about this and that's normal.

Recently purchased a Sig 320 RX Compact. Comes standard with their Romeo 1 mini reflex. It's motion activated. Battery included with the factory new firearm. Installed battery, sight wouldn't turn on......bad battery. Finally, got it to work and it's pretty neat set up. However, the battery cover will loosen up after a shooting session, must be constantly checked or it will loose it's connectivity.

With optics, you get what you pay for. I'll stick with my battery less Trijicons.

Winelover
    Last edited by winelover; 01-31-2018 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    Bushnell "Strike Fire" didn't last 300 rounds, mounted on a BH in 45 LC, before the lens cracked. They only have a one year warranty. I picked this one up cheap, @ $69, when Natchez had a special price on them. It sat for more than a year before I got around to mounting it.

Vortex "SPARC" was on the same BH for a while. What I didn't like was the sight would turn on, in the "across the chest" holster and sometimes shut off when I laid the un-holstered across my lap, up in the tree stand. Bad location for the on/off button. IMO Another snafu, is that when the battery gets low......unit won't turn off. I called the factory about this and that's normal.

Recently purchased a Sig 320 RX Compact. Comes standard with their Romeo 1 mini reflex. It's motion activated. Battery included with the factory new firearm. Installed battery, sight wouldn't turn on......bad battery. Finally, got it to work and it's pretty neat set up. However, the battery cover will loosen up after a shooting session, must be constantly checked or it will loose it's connectivity.

With optics, you get what you pay for. I'll stick with my battery less Trijicons.

Winelover
    I'm not aware of a Bushnell Strikefire. Was it a different model?

Boolit Master
    My bad...... it was a "First Strike"

Winelover

My bad...... it was a "First Strike"

Winelover
    Ah, that makes sense. I've got a Vortex Strikefire that has been awesome, but I have never seen them for $69 haha.

Banned

I just ordered a sig sauer romeo 5 to try. Pretty good reviews on line for them. It has that same motion activation. Its the main reason I bought it over a vortex. but this new trs26 and the new vortex crossfire have battery life just as long and don't need to shut down.

Winelover

Midway has TRS 25's on sale right now for $60 ! Best bang for your Red Dot Buck out there even at full pop.

I have 6 and almost bought another last week. None have ever moved zero, or killed their battery. Parallax has not been problem for me as all are mounted on rifles and if your cheek weld is in line with the sight the dot is round. if not it will distort.

The trick for remembering to turn off the TRS 25 is to paint a big white line on the top of the dial in line with the off position. (got that from "Nut n Fancy") That way it is easy to see if you turned it off. Also keeping an extra battery with you is a good idea. They are cheap.

Randy

With a 7 year battery life it would be even better. will wait for the TRS26 to come out and see what it costs.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Was going to order some more TRES 25's but will wait for the TRS 26.

Got the Vortex crossfire in the mail a couple days ago. Haven’t had a chance to test it at the range, but it is a solid little red dot. I can honestly say I like it way more than my strikefire. I’m looking forward to putting rounds down range with it soon.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Electric88 View Post
    Got the Vortex crossfire in the mail a couple days ago. Haven’t had a chance to test it at the range, but it is a solid little red dot. I can honestly say I like it way more than my strikefire. I’m looking forward to putting rounds down range with it soon.
    I'm in the process of putting together an ar15 9mm pistol. I think ill give the crossfire a try. I like this sig redot a lot but that crossfire lasts as long on a battery and is 75 bucks cheaper. Now if they would just make it in a aaa battery model like they did with a the sparc AR. Even so I have enough red dots and lit scopes around that take that same coin battery and allways have a half a dozen around. Only problem with the is they usually sit unused so long I don't trust them and toss them and by new. AAA batterys have enough uses I allways have fresh ones around.

Boolit Master

I sure did not see them at Midway for $60.00.

Boolit Grand Master
    I found this at Midway and like you say, it isn't $60 ? ? ?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/59...le-mount-matte

Would be nice is someone could provide a link to the $60 version.
    Last edited by Ben; 02-11-2018 at 01:24 PM.

Banned

this auction is over but at the bottom theres quite a few choices https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bushnell-73...kAAOSwPWRZPCvO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast