Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jr High Fundraiser

In Remembrance

Jr High Fundraiser

Back a century or so ago when I was in 8th grade, we had a school fundraiser. Iirc it was selling magazine subscriptions, I am not 100% sure on that though. I do remember that there was a choice of prizes the top seller could pick out of, and a friend of mine won and got a new Winchester 94 comemerative , seems like it was the John Wayne.

I wonder if a guy could get any interest stirred up in todays world to do such a thing?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    We did fundraisers in school. I still see kids doing car washes to raise money locally.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Heck, around here they just want you to give money without having to do anything. Hmmm, I wonder if that's why 136k people are leaving Ill. each year?
    Enewetak Atomic Clean Up Veteran 1979

Boolit Grand Master

Our FFA sold fruit Oranges grapefruit tangerines every winter to raise funds. The Band sold candy. Some others sold magazines. One thing I never cared for was the small percentage that was actually the groups from each sales. The FFA developed contacts in flordia for the fruit. sales were made the order placed then when the semi semis came in the fruit was all sorted and then distributed. We did away with the middleman and dealt direct. So all the profit went to the FFA

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Back a century or so ago when I was in 8th grade, we had a school fundraiser. Iirc it was selling magazine subscriptions, I am not 100% sure on that though. I do remember that there was a choice of prizes the top seller could pick out of, and a friend of mine won and got a new Winchester 94 comemerative , seems like it was the John Wayne.

I wonder if a guy could get any interest stirred up in todays world to do such a thing?
    Mention giving away a gun for a school fund raiser and you'll find yourself suspended right along with that kid that chewed his poptart into a gun shape.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Moderator Emeritus

At the risk of you fella's calling me a "Dandy Boy", I will tell about the fund raisers we did in High School.
    We Sang and Danced for money, LOL.
    I was in a extra curricular activity called, Swing Choir. We had costumes and props. We'd preform for civic groups during their fundraisers and they would donate to our High School Choir program.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

In Remembrance
    Well I do not even remember what the fundraiser was for, we had several different ones all through school, and at least at the time my kids graduated they still did. It was the prize from the 8th grade fundraiser that I remembered and am talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Our FFA sold fruit Oranges grapefruit tangerines every winter to raise funds. The Band sold candy. Some others sold magazines. One thing I never cared for was the small percentage that was actually the groups from each sales. The FFA developed contacts in flordia for the fruit. sales were made the order placed then when the semi semis came in the fruit was all sorted and then distributed. We did away with the middleman and dealt direct. So all the profit went to the FFA
    My Ag teacher thought selling fruit was silly. We didn't sell any. We had about 15 acres of school land that we farmed. Corn a couple of years and beans the next. That's how we got money for FFA. My senior year we had a new principal and he tried to take all the profits to the land and give to all the clubs and activities in school equity. When the families heard about that, they protested to the school board, the order was rescinded. I guess a lot of farmers had some power back in the late '60's. Don't even think my old school even has a FFA anymore after the merge again. After the first merge they tried to do away with it, and now that they merged again. I haven't heard anything about it or the school that they become. 'Course I moved out of state.
    Rob'

About 4 or 5th grade, collected old newspapers to get money to buy an airplane. Didn't have any other 'fund' raisers. Nowdays the G.K. ask for a few $100 for lessons for the orchestra. To be paid to school teachers for private lessons! I bypass all the cookie sales at the store, just a few pennies of proceeds go to the 'project'.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    around here class trips, church groups, little league and others sold subs. I would always get 2 at work bring them home. that way I won twice. helped a group and scored points with the wife she did not have to cook that night.

In Remembrance
    The school my kids went to, raised money for a senior trip. The school itself had nothing to do with it, as it was not a school sanctioned event. The kids would start raising money their freshman year and continue on till their senior year, It depended a lot on what they did as to who was the parents that were voted in to go, but usually including contracting fence jobs, sometimes painting a house, etc etc. Then their senior year they would research and vote on where to go, left over money was divided between them for spending money. At one time the school board voted to take the left over money and give it to the next class, that idea went south quick as it was not a school sanctioned event of any kind. They would usually spend a week in Hawaii, Bahamas or something of that nature.

Moderator Emeritus

Candy and popcorn sales for most of the kids, FFA does the fruit thing(I was disappointed in the last I bought, it was old and dried out)... being a charter school they get little state or federal funding

In Remembrance
    The ffa at the school my kids went to always sold sausage from Eades, some of the best pan sausage you could buy. They sold it in 5 pound batches and knew I was always food for several.

Boolit Grand Master

The local school PMO big time. They don't want guns even mentioned in school they moved hunter safety out of the school and they called us to report our grandson was drawing pictures of guns in school. Then they come around every year to the shop asking us to put an ad in the year book!

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    The local school PMO big time. They don't want guns even mentioned in school they moved hunter safety out of the school and they called us to report our grandson was drawing pictures of guns in school. Then they come around every year to the shop asking us to put an ad in the year book!
    In Bloomfield? I take it you are part of Gunsmoke.

Boolit Master
    I live in east Wake county NC. We got the usual car washes, cookie, cake and candy sales. We also have rifle raffles from adjoining Johnston county and our local JROTC has air rifle practice and storage at the high school. You can carry concealed (with the CCR license) to drop off your children and park your car in the parking lot with your firearm secured in the trunk. 1/4 mile behind the HS is a deer stand overlooking a soybean field beside the Kioti equipment depot.

Things be lookin up

Boolit Grand Master

In the next town SE of here the emergency services combined to raffle off 28 guns this past summer. It's a semi-annual fundraising event.
    The local Ford dealer advertises "Buy a truck, get a gun."
    Our schools may be corrupted but the adults know better.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Local highschool bands sell a band discount card, mostly for discounts at restaurants. 10% off a couple of meals more than pay for the $5 they charge for it. FFA raises plants and shrubs to sell.

Banned

believe it or not a small school that my buddys daughter goes to about 10 miles from here for two years in a row has had a knife sale to raise money for there sports programs. its in farm country but Id bet theres not to many schools today that would do that.

Boolit Master
    The Junior High(2 are mine) and Varsity Wrestlers at my kid's school do a gun raffle as a fund raiser to pay for uniforms, mats, entry fees, etc.. They gave away about $3500 worth of guns this year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast