MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionADvertise here
Inline FabricationStainLess Steel MediaTitan ReloadingGraf & Sons

Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 6000 USD, Received: 4840 USD (81%)
We have reached our goal! Thanks to all who donated! I will be updating the donation bar in the next few days!
Our Annual server fund drive is going on now! This donation drive helps fund Cast Boolits for an entire year, and helps support our 2nd amendment rights! You can donate by Paypal by clicking the DONATE button. Or by Cash / Check / MO to the address below:

Willy Snyder
PO Box 2732
Pocatello, ID 83206
****Due to overwhelming e-mails, I will be very slow in updating this list. Please bear with me!****


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Thread: any interested in Miha making a 460-405 with a SWC and Gas Check?

  1. #21
    Boolit Master phaessler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    594
    Any feeding concerns between the bore ride diameter and the top bad diameter? I know some marlins wont feed the keiths in the 44 and 45Colt families, not sure about the 45-70's.

  2. #22
    I'm A Honcho!

    Lakehouse2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    South Lyon & Oscoda, Michigan
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by phaessler View Post
    Any feeding concerns between the bore ride diameter and the top bad diameter? I know some marlins wont feed the keiths in the 44 and 45Colt families, not sure about the 45-70's.
    Phaessler-

    Here is the current large meplate boolit im using with no feeding issues, i expect design choosen to act the same:



    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

  3. #23
    Boolit Master phaessler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    594
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakehouse2012 View Post
    Phaessler-

    Here is the current large meplate boolit im using with no feeding issues, i expect design choosen to act the same:



    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    I shoot similar profiles, in Marlin levers, 357/44/and 45-70, I just want ask about the "keith-type" shoulder before I sign up.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45profiles.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	213828
    This is what I was referring to.

    Thanks for the info
    Last edited by phaessler; 02-10-2018 at 04:29 PM.

  4. #24
    I'm A Honcho!

    Lakehouse2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    South Lyon & Oscoda, Michigan
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by phaessler View Post
    I shoot similar profiles, in Marlin levers, 357/44/and 45-70, I just want ask about the "keith-type" shoulder before I sign up.
    The Keith style in my 357/44's are the only types that gate well in my Rossi's. these larger ones in the 45-70 have not been a problem, however these ARE always a problem in my 357 and sometimes in the 44 levers. Hope this helps.

  5. #25
    Boolit Master phaessler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    594
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakehouse2012 View Post
    The Keith style in my 357/44's are the only types that gate well in my Rossi's. these larger ones in the 45-70 have not been a problem, however these ARE always a problem in my 357 and sometimes in the 44 levers. Hope this helps.
    Thank you, big meplats are the ticket for me

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04088.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	213829

  6. #26
    I'm A Honcho!

    Lakehouse2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    South Lyon & Oscoda, Michigan
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by phaessler View Post
    Thank you, big meplats are the ticket for me

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04088.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	213829
    Those are good lookin boolits. Are you casting these yourself? Impressive!

  7. #27
    Boolit Master phaessler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    594
    Two on the left are from an old BRP design, the third is one I had accurate cut my design, and the last on the right is an early Lee group buy.

  8. #28
    I'm A Honcho! Wasalmonslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    1,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Meatpuppet View Post
    I'm in if he can also to a Plain Base Hi-Tek/PC without lube grooves and size 460. +1 on the deep pins.
    I believe this style does not require a new cherry he just uses a straight tool and orbits out the grooves.
    If you wanted a gas check Hi Tek that would require a new form tool.
    Because the straight tool would also remove the gas check shank.

  9. #29
    Boolit Man tradbear55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Chester, Almost Heaven, WV
    Posts
    114
    If this design is for a Marlin 1895, are you not going to have a crimp groove in this design?
    If it ain't broke don't fix it! I disagree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it to the death! When people fear the government it is tyranny, when government fears the people it is Liberty!

  10. #30
    I'm A Honcho!

    Lakehouse2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    South Lyon & Oscoda, Michigan
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by tradbear55 View Post
    If this design is for a Marlin 1895, are you not going to have a crimp groove in this design?
    While I will use this boolit for my 1895, i would not want to drive anyone else into a fixed position and diameter for a crimp groove. If there are additional requests for it then i could add it as an option.

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

  11. #31
    I'm A Honcho!

    Lakehouse2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    South Lyon & Oscoda, Michigan
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasalmonslayer View Post
    I believe this style does not require a new cherry he just uses a straight tool and orbits out the grooves.
    If you wanted a gas check Hi Tek that would require a new form tool.
    Because the straight tool would also remove the gas check shank.
    Thanks Wasalmonslayer! I would gladly add a smooth-side boolit, frankly, i didnt think anyone would be coating with this large a caliber. I love being wrong

    Im on the road for next several hours, but will add when i get to hotel.

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

  12. #32
    Boolit Master phaessler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    594
    Quote Originally Posted by tradbear55 View Post
    If this design is for a Marlin 1895, are you not going to have a crimp groove in this design?
    I got the feeling that perhaps crimping might be expected over the top band on this design. I could be wrong.

  13. #33
    Boolit Man tradbear55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Chester, Almost Heaven, WV
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by phaessler View Post
    I got the feeling that perhaps crimping might be expected over the top band on this design. I could be wrong.
    The problem with crimping over the top groove is neck tension is the only thing holding the bullet from being set back in the mag tube. Unless the crimp is driven into the bullet ogive which then causes bullet deformation. The crimp groove only gives security to bullet set back. It would not change the performance for people loading for single shot rifles.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it! I disagree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it to the death! When people fear the government it is tyranny, when government fears the people it is Liberty!

  14. #34
    Boolit Master phaessler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    594
    Quote Originally Posted by tradbear55 View Post
    The problem with crimping over the top groove is neck tension is the only thing holding the bullet from being set back in the mag tube. Unless the crimp is driven into the bullet ogive which then causes bullet deformation. The crimp groove only gives security to bullet set back. It would not change the performance for people loading for single shot rifles.
    I concur tradbear55.

  15. #35
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by phaessler View Post
    Thank you, big meplats are the ticket for me

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04088.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	213829
    Which bullet is that on the far left and third from left? The two BIG meplats?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #36
    Boolit Master phaessler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    594
    Quote Originally Posted by sukivel View Post
    Which bullet is that on the far left and third from left? The two BIG meplats?
    The far left is a 330gn BRP design, circa the forum around 2006 or so, BRP is long retired. It hits hard and feeds well in my 1895's.
    The third is my own design I had Accurate cut for me, 46-400C , 400gn 85% meplat, hits very hard, and feeds ok with a stiff motion on my Marlins.

    Pete

  17. #37
    I'm A Honcho!

    Lakehouse2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    South Lyon & Oscoda, Michigan
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by Meatpuppet View Post
    I'm in if he can also to a Plain Base Hi-Tek/PC without lube grooves and size 460. +1 on the deep pins.
    Meatpuppet - I've added the smooth-side boolit to the lineup, only available in FB. Feel free to jump on if you are still interested.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check