MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Can Catholics eat bacon ?

During lent we fish on Friday. At 61 I still eat fish during lent I'm old school and still live by church rules from the sixties.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel lawecki View Post
    During lent we fish on Friday. At 61 I still eat fish during lent I'm old school and still live by church rules from the sixties.
    Well heck Daniel anytime is good for fish .
    No turning back , No turning back !

For Pete's sake, click bait in the Chapel. This thread has no real substance.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    For Pete's sake, click bait in the Chapel. This thread has no real substance.
    sure it does! everything in the whole world is better with bacon on it!

go ahead try to name something!

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentNut View Post
    The Catholic Church has never abandon any beliefs or dogmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sure they have! Prior to Vatican II Protestants were "Satan's Spawn" after that we became "Separated Brethren". That has made relations much easier between the major branches of Christianity.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
    Are Catholics allowed by their beliefs to eat bacon ?
    So Boaz, why did you ask?

Banned
    yes we can eat bacon

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Sure they have! Prior to Vatican II Protestants were "Satan's Spawn" after that we became "Separated Brethren". That has made relations much easier between the major branches of Christianity.
    And official church dogma has changed in regards to practice if not the underlying principles. Divorce is handled differently in this generation than the last but the principles of marriage as a sacrament was not removed. There have been now at least two Popes that have reached out to Islamic and Jewish leaders. As well as outreach mentioned to other branches of Christianity including the Greek and Russian Orthodox churches. Some of these groups have had wars before over dogma or theology.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post

In history, in the area concerned, there were no domesticated pigs, the boars and sows that did live there lived in the foulest swamps. They were considered unclean, and indeed you should even today cook your pork well enough to kill the parasites they can still carry.

Parasites that can migrate to humans and ruin your life eating uncooked or not thoroughly enough cooked pork.

Not as likely true from a reputable farm. But a feral or wild pig can still have Trichinosis.
    In the parable of the Prodigal son the son was feeding husk to swine, evidently in a farm situation.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Wow ...you guys have been busy . I shut the shop down and drove home , fed the dogs got a diet Coke and clicked the Chapel on .

Civil discussion is appreciated , arguing , one upping and bla bla bla is not . Don't make me look bad ...I stuck my neck out with this thread knowing the local atheists would be sucked in like a coon to a no 2 Victor baited with sardines . As far as us of faith ..all we have to fear is ourselves .

I put this thread up that we might learn something about one another . At the very least should be interesting in a 'conversational way' , it's not a theological thread . Just a place to ask or answer questions expecting respect either way . The only time I ever get actually mad in the Chapel is when Christians fight (Char Gar go watch a cute animal show before you blow an artery) Looks like we could love our neighbor that much .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Master
    This thread should be in the joke section. Or not at all
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    I don’t know about placement, but using a simple question to explore the perceived differences between or peculiarities of various cultures seems conducive to the development of a stronger community.

Having been both a catholic and a baptist I am always amused by the incorrect beliefs that each has about the other.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    In the parable of the Prodigal son the son was feeding husk to swine, evidently in a farm situation.
    There's also Matt 8:33 showing a herd of pigs that had tenders.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
    To the Catholics !

Just as a curious question would the Catholic church accept my baptism performed in a Baptist church ?
    I am Methodist and my wife is Catholic, and they recognized my baptism. They asked a lot of questions when we were married, but pretty much recognized baptism in any common protestant faith when I asked.
    Back in the land of boolits.

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    There's also Matt 8:33 showing a herd of pigs that had tenders.
    You do know that Israel was under the thumb of Roman rule at the time right. I guarantee you no Hebrew was allowed to raise pigs while any of the Sanhedrin was in place. Also wild boars are pretty rampant in Israel.

Are Christians allowed to eat dogs?

Boolit Master
    Boaz, as related by 2ndAmendmentNut, baptism can be valid, as long as it is in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, even if performed by a non-Christian. There are records of persecutors being moved to baptize those they tortured during their interrogations at the request of the prisoner, sometimes bringing about their own conversion. IIRC, this was done in Roman prisons, during the middle ages in Japan and in Soviet Russia, by prisoners who understood they would likely not survive and knew the need to be born of water and the Spirit. In one account of protracted torture by the KGB for being Christian, the interrogator was convinced to baptize the teenage girl whose spirit he was tasked to break, and afterward, he demanded to be baptized by her, after which he facilitated her eventual dismissal from the prison. I wish I had references, but I'm sure they can be searched on the 'net.

The life of the Church still revolves around Christ and the sacraments He instituted, as it has since the beginning. Maybe a definition would be good here; A sacrament is an outward (perceivable) sign that also does what it signifies. Water Baptism is clearly a sign (washing), but it also accomplishes what it's about, entry into the life of grace. The Catholic church baptizes children to arm them also with the protection of grace they will need. No need to hold them back from being hidden in grace while the spirit of this world preys on them as he surely will. This presumes pro-active efforts of parents or guardians to educate and form the child's character and conscience. The time of public professing is at Confirmation when one receives the seal of faith and is a soldier of Christ - egregiously poor catechesis in many places in the last 50 years notwithstanding.

Catholic doctrine has never changed from the beginning. Methods and processes, yes. Doctrine, no. Divorce is treated differently now from prior centuries due to greater understanding of human strengths and frailties, as well as phenominal changes in how we live. Divorce is still only the secular legal divvying up of responsibilities and goods, not the "unmaking" of a valid sacramental marriage, which can't be done by any human authority. What is termed annulment is an investigation to determine if a valid marriage actually exists. If yes, they are married for life, but with counseling and maturity they are entitled to work toward reconciliation at some point. If no, no valid marriage ever existed, they are free and can validly marry others. This was Henry the VIII's hangup. The purpose of marriage is living and loving to get one's self and spouse to heaven. As noted by Paul, it may well not be an easy row to hoe. Faithful discipleship often isn't, I suppose.

Getting back to the original subject of this thread:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	liberal-logic-101-545_ConservativeBreakfast.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	213078
    Last edited by yeahbub; 01-30-2018 at 11:22 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    Actually I found it offensive and out of place.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Actually I found it offensive and out of place.
    It was a silly, trite question and has been answered numerous times. It should have been closed as "done and doner" a while ago. Leaving it open will only lead to multiple off topic tangents not worthy of the forum.

I see no one wants to do some deep soul searching and question am I following what God wants or am I following man. God bless!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast