MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie to reloading - 44mag brass bulging/buckling

Boolit Grand Master

A little trick tat is helpful. Make a .030 or .045 shim for under the seat crimp die. Set die to proper crimp with out shim. Then when seating bullets add shim under it with out resetting the lock ring. This allows depth to be set and bullet seated. then remove shim and raise the seating stem to crimp. You can make this shim from shim stock or even banding.

For a .432 dia bullet I would look for an expander around .429. .002 is a lot of press on this size dia.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    A little trick tat is helpful. Make a .030 or .045 shim for under the seat crimp die. Set die to proper crimp with out shim. Then when seating bullets add shim under it with out resetting the lock ring. This allows depth to be set and bullet seated. then remove shim and raise the seating stem to crimp. You can make this shim from shim stock or even banding.

For a .432 dia bullet I would look for an expander around .429. .002 is a lot of press on this size dia.
    My RCBS 44 dies came with a spacer ring for use when going from 44spcl to mag. It's only been 33 years since I started loading with them and now you tell me I could have saved time by using it for this. Wish you had told me sooner. . GREAT TIP. Thank you.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    FWIW I agree with the guys saying that the seating die body is screwed down too far.

Unscrew it a bunch, run an empty expanded case up into the die without a bullet, the brass should not touch the die, now screw the die body down until you just feel it touch the brass.

If you want to seat and crimp in one step then continue to adjust the die body to get the crimp you want and then start to work on seating depth by adjusting the seating stem. I generally seat and crimp in one operation when roll crimping into a groove.

If you want to seat in one operation and crimp in another then unscrew the #3 die body enough that it doesn’t crimp and then set the seating depth. Adjust die #4 to crimp.

I don’t disagree with the suggestions to replace the expander to optimize performance, but that’s not likely to fix the immediate problem imho.

Oh, and I crushed a bunch of 45-70 brass when I first started, it happens.

Boolit Mold
    The NOE brand expander plug (.429 x .433) came already. I prepped some cases and ran them with the new expander and while I haven't charged any case the .431 bullets now slip partially into the case (to the bottom of the lube) and that is with less of a flare than I had put on some of the previous batch. Pushed in one as a test and was very happy to see that it didn't take strong arming the press. Didn't have time to throw powder charges and finish these yet - but so far so good.

Just "rented" a 11 degree forcing cone reamer and ordered a BTB firelapping "kit". I'm hoping the reamer will take out some of the choke at the threads and the firelapping can do the rest.

While I was ordering from BTB - I have 100 of there 300gr WFN-GC coming - but those will be a while before I'm ready to load them. Will have to choose a powder for this "hunting load". Only have Unique now. Guessing H110, N110 or possibly 2400 - would like to target 1100fps for this load. Accuracy will be the objective - love to here suggestions - seems H110 is the gold standard for heavy 44mag loads.

Boolit Master
    I agree with the many that your seating die (which can also crimp) is set way too low. Back the seating die out until you can run an empty (no bullet) case into the die without crimping the empty case, that is the starting point for the seating die BODY, then work on seating a bullet using the seating die BULLET SEATING STEM, not the die body. Once you have the bullet seated properly you can then crimp in a separate crimp die or work the seating stem and die body a little at a time until the bullet is seated just as the case is crimped. The seating die is NOT screwed in to touch the shellholder is it contains a crimping shoulder. Many seating dies, pistol and rifle, contain a crimping shoulder in the seating die. Crimp can be adjusted using empty cases , then carefully adjusting seating depth so full seating occurs as the case is crimped. Seating and crimping in one stroke is done with a properly adjusted seating die. I , like reddog81, seat and crimp most revolver and rifle cartridges like the 30-30, 45-70 and 32 special in a single stroke.

Boolit Bub
    BTB owner said load it up. I don't recommend this load but he did and I tweeked to my rifle and comfort level...21.7gn of H110. I have incredible accuracy and animals plant themselves on the spot with those 300gn WFN. They are incredible. And it shakes the backboard and berm during load development!!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mncampnhunt View Post
    The NOE brand expander plug (.429 x .433) came already. I prepped some cases and ran them with the new expander and while I haven't charged any case the .431 bullets now slip partially into the case (to the bottom of the lube) and that is with less of a flare than I had put on some of the previous batch. Pushed in one as a test and was very happy to see that it didn't take strong arming the press. Didn't have time to throw powder charges and finish these yet - but so far so good.

Just "rented" a 11 degree forcing cone reamer and ordered a BTB firelapping "kit". I'm hoping the reamer will take out some of the choke at the threads and the firelapping can do the rest.

While I was ordering from BTB - I have 100 of there 300gr WFN-GC coming - but those will be a while before I'm ready to load them. Will have to choose a powder for this "hunting load". Only have Unique now. Guessing H110, N110 or possibly 2400 - would like to target 1100fps for this load. Accuracy will be the objective - love to here suggestions - seems H110 is the gold standard for heavy 44mag loads.
    I'd worry seating the bullets correctly and getting the kinks worked out of the reloading process before going off the deep end and reaming the forcing cone, fire-lapping the bore and loading up the hottest load you can find.

My guess is that you have adjusted the depth of seating by lowering the die, not the seating stem, thereby hitting the crimp step long before you want to. Back off the seating die until only half of the case fits in the seating die with the ram all the way up. Then loosen the lock nut and run the seating stem down and insert a piece of brass with a boolit in it. Raise the ram and adjust the stem Until the boolit is seated to the correct depth WITHOUT any crimp whatsoever. Once you have seated all your boolits, then go back and crimp your cases.
    Yep, good advice here. Later, when you have a good handle on loading, you can seat and crimp in the same operation and get superb results. Done right, it saves a step and still produces sub-1-1/2" grouping from a good gun. Rod
    Last edited by Rodfac; 02-22-2018 at 08:39 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12