Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingPBcastcoWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice on molds for 45acp

Boolit Bub

Seeking advice on molds for 45acp

Hello All,

I'm a newbie here looking to get back into casting.

I'm seeking advice on molds as I want to purchase a solution for molding 230 grain round nose to feed both a 1911 & G-30 with a Wolfe barrel.

I've used Lee molds in the past, mainly because that is what I could afford at the time.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

If your looking for just a 230 grain RN profile the Lee works as well as any in my experience - myself I've gone over to
    FN Truncated cone style as in my 1911's, SIG 220 and others they work just fine, but have a harder hitting presence in my experience.

NOE is probably my favorite place to get into trouble

their FN is more rounded that the one I use

And if you want to be able to FN and HP
    Last edited by Artful; 01-29-2018 at 04:56 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I, too, really like the Truncated Cone Flat point bullets. They feed like they were round nose bullets in my guns, and more effective if you shoot game or are forced into self-defense than the round nose bullets. Initially used the jacketed ones back in the ??90s?? when they first came out as a result of military testing. Going to test some out in cast next

Boolit Master
    200 g. SWC. I have loaded these for twenty years or so and really like them for targets, steels etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    NRA Endowment Life Member

To avoid possible feeding problems with the Lee 230 gr. RN, be sure to get the 2R round nose mold and not the 1R. I agree with the poster above on the 230 gr. truncated nose mold for excellent feeding in most 1911s. That is the mold I use and perfect feeding in about 4 different 1911 including a short barrel Colt Defender that can be prone to feeding problems.

Boolit Master

My 45 is very finicky, and did just so-so with the semi wad cutters. Lee 230 rn did a good job so did the Noe rn mold mentioned above. But hands down the best mold that I have cast, loaded and shot with is the Lyman 452374. It was designed after the factory round and I have yet to find a mold to out shoot it in my gun. Look around for a 4 cavity of that mold and you'll have piles of boolits in no time. Like this one:
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...iber-225-grain
    Others may have different onions but for me this one is it.

Boolit Master

Plain simple RN. Feeds in any .45acp auto-loading handgun. N.O.E. makes beautiful molds. Lee molds are cheap. They work, but only if you take very CAREFULL care of them. You buy cheap, you get cheap. RCBS and Lyman make great molds, SAECO are the best if you have the money. You can start with Lee, but move on to quality molds as soon as you can.

I've been using the same 4 cavity LYMAN #452374 RN for 40+ yrs. Never felt the need to try any other mold for that bullet.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

I have a S&W revolver in .45 ACP/AR and I had a bullet mold from Lee 200 grain RNFP that shot really nice groups. And like a dummy, I cast about 300 bullets and thinking that would probably be all I would need, I sold the mold. I have made more than one bad decision when it comes to selling something I should have hung onto. james

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I cast & shoot anything 230 and under. Watch the profile....depending on the "ramp" on you ACP. The ACP can be very VERY tricky. That's why I cast and shoot mostly the 45 LC version. My Colt 45's will eat anything I shove in them.....including my long 45 long guns.

" If you can't get'er done in 5-6 rounds, better just throw the gun at the target!".

Banger

Boolit Master

The Lyman 452374 got the job done in every pistol I ever tried it in.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Mp moulds have their stuff together. I am not a lee basher, I have and use a lot of lee product. But it will take a lot for me to purchase another lee mold over a Mihec. Aside from the craftsmanship and pride of ownership I think they are tops. What I like most is the options for different bullet profiles. I just received my mold for the 45 colt, it has 5 different hp pin profiles. I can’t speak about their rifle caliber molds but their hp pistol molds are awesome. For acp I have the 452-200hp version. It feeds flawlessly in my 1911’s and revolver. 4 different acp pistols, Springfield and colt mix. Ruger Blackhawk convertible 45 colt, 45acp.

Boolit Bub
    Thank you all for the replies, much appreciated.

As I stated in my original post I have used Lee's in the past, I still have a 6 cavity 200gr SWC which my 1911 will eat all day but the Glock 30 is a very finicky eater known to hang up on SWC, hence my post seeking advice.

You all have me thinking about FN now and stepping up to a more quality mold.

Having only used Lee's w/ their liquid Alox in the past what are your thoughts on lubricating for either the N.O.E. molds or the Lyman? Can I get away with powder coating?

Yep, powder coating works well in 45 ACP
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Banned

yup the lyman 452374 4 cav is about as good as it gets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Plain simple RN. Feeds in any .45acp auto-loading handgun. N.O.E. makes beautiful molds. Lee molds are cheap. They work, but only if you take very CAREFULL care of them. You buy cheap, you get cheap. RCBS and Lyman make great molds, SAECO are the best if you have the money. You can start with Lee, but move on to quality molds as soon as you can.

I've been using the same 4 cavity LYMAN #452374 RN for 40+ yrs. Never felt the need to try any other mold for that bullet.

Banned
    I used to use the Lyman 452374 4 cavity mold and then switched to the Magma 230 gr rn mold which turned out to be more accurate yet. The H&G 68 that I used the Lyman version 452460? I replaced with the Magma 185 and 200 gr SWC bullets which are just as good and probably slightly better.

Boolit Grand Master

I have two molds for my 45 ACP; one which works quite well n my 1911, but my Ruger P90 doesn't feed them 100% is a Lee 200 gr SWC https://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-h-g-68-200-swc.html . The other is a Lyman 225 gr RN https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...ain-round-nose which feeds in both guns slicker than owl @!*%.

Both bullets get a home made Speed Green lube or a dip lube of 45-45-10. I have PCed both and they work very well up to near max. loads and the SWC is pretty accurate in my 1911...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Hard to beat the Lyman #452374.....it's kind of a plain Jane, but it feeds every time & shoots better that I can. I have 2 (4 cavity) & they'll stack up boolits quickly. I also have a 6 cav. Lee 230TC (not a TL) & must admit that it puts out some nice looking boolits quickly that feed just as well & also shoot better than I.

I have no experience with PC.

My .02 worth

Henry
    .................................................. .................................................. ..............
    A real sport involves either gasoline or gun powder.......all others are just games

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    I, too, really like the Truncated Cone Flat point bullets. They feed like they were round nose bullets in my guns, and more effective if you shoot game or are forced into self-defense than the round nose bullets. Initially used the jacketed ones back in the ??90s?? when they first came out as a result of military testing. Going to test some out in cast next
    I PC the Lee TL version of the TC for My SR1911. It works flawlessly and hits like Thor's Hammer.
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all the great replies guys, much appreciated. I played hooky for an hour or so today and smelted down 20 pounds of VERY dirty wheel weights

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast