MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Lee Precision

Thread: My New Load for 45-110

Boolit Mold

My New Load for 45-110

I just got my C. Sharps 45-110 and I started to reload for it. My initial load was 107 grains of F Goex, a .065 vegie wad, then .025 card paper then a 530 gr Postell bullet. It shoots OK but compressing the powder was hard and I do use a 24' drop tube and the accuracy just seems no to be there yet. I am sure I can work on OAL and crimp tightness etc but I think I am going to change it now.

I am thinking of using about 90 grains of Goex F and 500 gr RN bullet. The positive with that is a little less powder and lead and maybe a little easier loading overall.

Any advice or tips greatly appreciated! BTW I shoot 300 yards and in since that is the length of my range.

Thanks in advance
    Jim

Jim.
    I would suggest that you start with what I call a ladder load, that is start with zero compression with three loads and increase the powder by one grain for the next three rounds and so on till you get around .350"-.375" compression with the same wad stack and seat the bullet out till it rests on the land. You can use a slight taper crimp if you like but no roll crimp with the lead bullets.
    By 21 to 24 rounds fired you should see what you can improve on.

Boolit Master
    Jim if you are interested, I will post my paper patched load for my C. Sharps .45-110. I never got it to shoot grease grooved bullets exceptionally well, but it works very well with paper patched bullets. I've shot it from 100 to 800 meters and am very happy with how it shoots.

Chris.

Boolit Grand Master

I agree with the work up on the load. start at no airspace no compression under the chosen bullet and work up from there. I also found when I did away with the roll crimp accuracy improved with the softer bullets ( mine are cast from 20-1) I use a sizer die body to just iron out the bell completely. Find the "load" with the powder and then experiment with different wad materials, primers, and tensions.

Boolit Mold
    That is really good info, I never worked up a load with BP before, we don't compress nitro! LOL

I will start working on this once my compression die comes in!!!

Thanks again Ya'll!!!
    Jim

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post
    Jim if you are interested, I will post my paper patched load for my C. Sharps .45-110. I never got it to shoot grease grooved bullets exceptionally well, but it works very well with paper patched bullets. I've shot it from 100 to 800 meters and am very happy with how it shoots.

Chris.
    I am interested in that load. I really want to "keep it simple" but I would rather it shoot great!!! I wold be grateful if you would share that info with me!

Thanks in advance
    Jim

Boolit Master
    Ok, here is the load I use in my C. Sharps .45-110 and I've also included one that works very well in my bull barreled Shiloh Sharps in .45-110.

C. Sharps:
    Norma 2.88" brass, sized with die backed off 6 turns.
    WLR primer
    105gr Goex Fg
    0.060" veg King wad + 1/8" lube cookie ( 50/50 Beeswax & olive oil mix ) + 0.030" veg King wad.
    Buffalo Arms 444540M bullet patched with 0.002" Esleeck paper.
    bullet seated 0.110" into case.
    This load worked well enough to win our local long range gong match with targets from 500m to 800m.

Shiloh Sharps .45-110
    Norma 2.88" brass fireformed.
    CCI BR2 primer
    92gr Swiss 1.5
    0.060" LDPE
    Buffalo Arms 458535M, 16:1 Rotometals.
    DGL lube.
    Slip fit ( zero neck tension ), 3.737" OAL.

Chris.