Load DataWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Bought a Sprinfield Range Master in 45acp

Banned

Bought a Sprinfield Range Master in 45acp

Observations

If I compare it to my S&W 1911 out of the custom shop it comes up kinda short. The barrel fits tight and locks up well. There is a tad bit of slide to frame play very small but slightly noticeable if you are really looking for it. The trigger sucks big time. Haven't measured it but its gritty with play and probably 7lbs from the feel. Will check with a gauge to see for sure.

Need to know if I should do drop in trigger or simply bite the boolit nd purchase a setup to do my own trigger. Which one to buy.

Its probably too soon to judge a gun with a retail of roughly $850-899 new on the shelf . I have high expectations for it based on what I have read on the internet. I asume it will probably shoot with the 1911 Kimbers we currently have.

Boolit Buddy

I would first strip it down, clean everything and feels for any burrs that could be cleaned up. No money involved doing that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by phonejack View Post
    I would first strip it down, clean everything and feels for any burrs that could be cleaned up. No money involved doing that.
    That is pretty much a given. Having said that a clean up isn't going to solve the trigger problem. Springfields lawyers probably saw to it that the trigger was one sure flaw to make sure someone didn't accidentally fire it. The trigger was so bad on all the Springfields I tried that I felt the QC department should have had someone's size 13 shoe up their rear. The accounting department surely could have seen the merit of raising the price and opting for that better trigger.

Gritty, long drawn out with what feels like a 7-10 lb pull. Positives..... I felt I could make it better and arrive at something tht might be able to shoot with a mid priced $1400-1800 1911.

I own 3 Range Officer pistols from Springfield. All of them came with smooth 3.5lb triggers. All the guns were new when I got them.
    All shoot cast well and FMJ excellent.
    I can't compare them to higher priced 1911 pistols since I don't own any.
    I have no idea why yours would have a trigger so heavy.

Boolit Master

I bought one 2 or 3 years ago. Haven't shot it yet. It's still in the box in the safe. I bought it because I felt like it near way undervalued for what it is. Still no plans to shoot it as I have plenty others in the stable ready to go
    At one with the gun.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I own 3 Range Officer pistols from Springfield. All of them came with smooth 3.5lb triggers. All the guns were new when I got them.
    All shoot cast well and FMJ excellent.
    I can't compare them to higher priced 1911 pistols since I don't own any.
    I have no idea why yours would have a trigger so heavy.
    I'll get the trigger tested and come back with an accurate reading to post. It will be interesting to put it up to a gun that cost almost twice as much.

Vendor Sponsor

Stock throat on left. No throat at all. That one will run a LOT better with a proper throat, example on the right. This is a RO barrel btw..

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I'll get the trigger tested and come back with an accurate reading to post. It will be interesting to put it up to a gun that cost almost twice as much.
    I would like to see the results you come up with from that comparison as well.

Boolit Master
    Dougguy knows his suff and his barrel mods shoot fantastic.

Now on the Springfield 1911 I have a nice 9mm and a Operator in 45. Both guns are in edible accurate and smooth as silk. An ever measured the trigger weight but they are perfect. The 45 carries well as does the 9mm 1911. Great guns and the customer service is fantastic.

Boolit Master
    I think you should clean it and put a couple hundred rounds down range, before you do anything else. Might make a world of difference. I have a 20 year old Springfield that is plane jane, but the best shooting .45 I have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Master

My RO compact doesn't have 3.5# trigger but my Para does and comparing the two, I'd guess the RO to be 4.5# max. Just my .02 but fit and finish are excellent for the price point.
    Last edited by Bzcraig; 01-30-2018 at 12:18 AM.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

I'd be sending it back to SA, they'll make the trigger right. I own 2 range officers both have 3.5# triggers (tested with trigger gauge & the old fashioned way/wire & weights). The takeup is a little long in both triggers which is easy enough to take out but I actually prefer them that way. I like to lean on the trigger/take up the slack then break the shot.

Personally, I like a 45acp bbl with a short throat. The ro/45acp bbl that I have looks like the one dougguy pictured above. For some odd reason I find that bbl/throat setup extremely easy to reload for. Doesn't matter the bullet, they all get 20/1000th's 452"/front shoulder set above the case mouth. This sets the front shoulder on the bullet into the leade of the throat. Kinda cave man simple but what the heck. 20+ different bullets tested so far and every 1 of them have the same 20/1000th's shoulder Typical 20/1000th's with a h&g #68 in the short throated SA ro bbl.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Yup 1.250", right where it should be for the h&g #68/45acp combo, typical bullseye oal. I only tested @ 50ft, only shoot 50ft nra anymore.
    Nothing more than the actual test target used to test target loads for the RO @ 50ft.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Like the ro/45acp enough that I wanted 1 in 9mm. I like the 1911/45acp's with a short throat. 9mm's on the other hand, I like a long tapered throat. The SA ro chambered in 9mm has an excellent/highly polished long leade/throat.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Not hand/cherry picked by any means, nothing more than the test target used to test loads in the ro/9mm. 10-shot group @ 50ft, the squares are 1".
    [IMG][/IMG]

Did do a little testing with the ro/9mm @ 50yds.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Decided if I was going to shoot @ 50yds I'd rather shoot 50m free pistol. Sorry your having trouble with the trigger on your ro. Liked mine enough that I sold of the s&w 41's/extra bbl's/herrett's/etc and put a marvel kit on the ro when I want to shoot 22lr/bullseye.
    [IMG][/IMG]

The ro's are nothing more then a basic target 1911. That being said they should have a trigger that isn't "gritty" or 7#.

Banned
    Its clean and lubricated and its just plain gritty feeling. Its a long drawn out process to pull the trigger. I'm starting to wonder if the shop got some "B" grade units instead of prime A grade if thats possible. If I'd been the inspector I'd have sent it back for more trigger work.

I do however love the adjustable rear sight the front reminds me of my 70 series Gold Cup. Its functional but would be far better if it was another color that was capable of capturing some light.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    I'd be sending it back to SA, they'll make the trigger right. I own 2 range officers both have 3.5# triggers (tested with trigger gauge & the old fashioned way/wire & weights). The takeup is a little long in both triggers which is easy enough to take out but I actually prefer them that way. I like to lean on the trigger/take up the slack then break the shot.

Personally, I like a 45acp bbl with a short throat. The ro/45acp bbl that I have looks like the one dougguy pictured above. For some odd reason I find that bbl/throat setup extremely easy to reload for. Doesn't matter the bullet, they all get 20/1000th's 452"/front shoulder set above the case mouth. This sets the front shoulder on the bullet into the leade of the throat. Kinda cave man simple but what the heck. 20+ different bullets tested so far and every 1 of them have the same 20/1000th's shoulder Typical 20/1000th's with a h&g #68 in the short throated SA ro bbl.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Yup 1.250", right where it should be for the h&g #68/45acp combo, typical bullseye oal. I only tested @ 50ft, only shoot 50ft nra anymore.
    Nothing more than the actual test target used to test target loads for the RO @ 50ft.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Like the ro/45acp enough that I wanted 1 in 9mm. I like the 1911/45acp's with a short throat. 9mm's on the other hand, I like a long tapered throat. The SA ro chambered in 9mm has an excellent/highly polished long leade/throat.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Not hand/cherry picked by any means, nothing more than the test target used to test loads in the ro/9mm. 10-shot group @ 50ft, the squares are 1".
    [IMG][/IMG]

Did do a little testing with the ro/9mm @ 50yds.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Decided if I was going to shoot @ 50yds I'd rather shoot 50m free pistol. Sorry your having trouble with the trigger on your ro. Liked mine enough that I sold of the s&w 41's/extra bbl's/herrett's/etc and put a marvel kit on the ro when I want to shoot 22lr/bullseye.
    [IMG][/IMG]

The ro's are nothing more then a basic target 1911. That being said they should have a trigger that isn't "gritty" or 7#.
    I used to shoot the H&G 68 but then switched to the Magma version of the 200 gr and 185 gr bullet and found it to be more accurate yet in all of my 1911's.

I could have handled a 3.5 lb trigger that was smooth but I don't hold a lot of hope for. If I can get it down to say 3lb or a little lower and smooth and not drawn out I would be happy. Certainly its not going to be like my S&W 1911 crom the custom shop but then again it was more money and more money generaly equates to better function and fit.