Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Looking for Truncated Cone molds; 45 ACP/LC, 9mm/380 Auto, probably 357/38 Spl too

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

Looking for Truncated Cone molds; 45 ACP/LC, 9mm/380 Auto, probably 357/38 Spl too

Hi all - The data I once HAD on the slugged bores on my "toys" is all gone due to circumstances so as I get further set up I'll have to redo that. I do have some soft lead at least

I find I rather like the Truncated Cone bullets in 45 ACP (tho sadly the IDK, 3k? rounds I had loaded were all stolen by a family member.) So I am thinking of maybe using that same boolit design for the LC and .355-.358 variants, too. More terminal performance with great reliability in Semi-Auto firearms, and of course it should be happy in revolvers too

Not sure on the 380 Auto if a 120 Grain mold would serve, there are lots of loads for it at least (just not sure if it'd shoot to the same POA out of what I have.) Maybe I can find someone with a few of them, or worst case I can use the rest up in 9mm and/or 357 / 38, that should do. Been using 95 or 100 Gr for 380 and it's right to the POA, that's what I'd like (fixed sights, so adjusting it's doable but annoying :P)

Eventually once I've checked how it works I'll want to find a mold that's good for 45 and 35 sizes, the Lee ones might do OK, but wondering if there's some other mold people like more? So much knowledge on here It'd be nice to find a 100 Gr variant in 356 or so, but we'll see

Thanks!

I have used the Lee truncated cone molds with the standard lube groove in all the mentioned cartridges except 380 with good results. For the 380, I would recommend the Lee TL356-95-RF. I use it in 9mm and it works fine there. I think it would work in 380 also.
    The only other brand of TC boolit I have experience with is the Lyman 356402. It works well in my 9mm pistols that have smaller bores since mine drops right at .356.
    The Lee molds often drop large enough to work well with larger 9mm bores as well as 38 Special and 357. You would just have to make sure the mold you get does drop that large. They can be a little inconsistent that way.
    The only issue with using boolits designed for semi-auto guns in revolvers is the lack of a crimp groove. Normally you can make them work with a light roll crimp that bites into the side of the boolit or use a fairly tight taper crimp.
    The NOE 358-124-tc should be a good mold and boolit. I don't have experience with it however. I do have several NOE molds and they all drop at the size they are listed. Excellent molds.

Boolit Master
    In 9mm, im a big fan of the Accurate 358 120B mold. Perfect copy of the Lyman 356402. It drops about 125 grains at .360. And it drops 5 at a time for some good production.

Boolit Master

It's a RNFP rather than a truncated cone, but you might give the NOE TL452-234-RF a look: http://noebulletmolds.com/main/product/452-230-rf/

I got the original group buy for that going with a request to Ranch Dog for a .45 ACP bullet design. While the forum discussion was going on, someone chimed in and requested that the front tumble lube groove be converted to a crimper for double duty use in revolvers, and the rest is history. Works great in my Redhawk, as well as the 1911's.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Banned

^^^ yes
    I have most every mold Ranch Dog designed, and have yet to find anything but a winner. Don't like TL/micro-grooves, don't like solids with decent meplats, then go in a different direction. I like where his head is at. I have .380 ACP, 9mm, .357 mag, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .30-30, .308, and .45-70. I know a guy who has smoked two wild hogs with the .380 ACP. Michael's designs flat-out work.

Boolit Master
    I have some LEE TCs in 230 TL, and 120 & 124 (single lube groove) I can send to you to test if you would like. Contact by PM if you would like some of them sent to you.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

I too like the TC molds. I have several lees, some traditional lube groove, some TL.

My last was the .452 230 gr TC lube groove design that I bought in 6 cavity for .45 colt but will one of these days also get loaded in .45acp.

The little .314 90 gr TL TC design is a joy in all 30 caliber rifles appropriately sized, as well as in my .32sw long revolvers and will shortly be shot in my #4 Rem Rolling Block in .32sw long as well.

I think that one wins for the mold used in the most calibers.

Boolit Man
    Arsenal Molds 358-125 PC works for both 9mm and 38.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	359-124-PC.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	213418

Saeco makes TC designs for just about all the handgun calibers.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    I have the lee TC molds in .230 gr for a .45 and 120 for my 9mm. I size the 120 gr to .358 and can use them in my .357, but it is just something to shoot. OTOH, the 9mm and the .45 shoot really well with these bullets. They are NOT the TL design.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

I’ve worked with the 356402 a LOT and I love that bullet.
    Feeds awesome. Very accurate.

.....and if you powder coat they look like little crayons when loaded. Lol!!!!

In Remembrance

Go LEE. If they work out well (as they have around here, PC'd), great: if not, THEN spend the big money.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Moderator Emeritus

The first used Mold I acquired was the Lee TL 452-230 TC
    I recall that it was given to me by another member here ( or they sold it to me for almost nothing?).
    It's the old style 2 cav blocks, it's been used plenty and looks that way, but it functions very well.
    I really like it for 45 colt, as it casts a bit large (.4535) and kinda heavy also (240gr).
    I just TL them with 45-45-10 and load them without sizing (it's one of the few that I load unsized).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

I to like the truncuated cone bullets for all around use. In 45 cal the swc cut a cleaner hole for target use and the 200 grn gives outstanding accuracy in most. In 9mm I use a lot of Truncuated cone bullets as the main stay 125 grn weight. In 380 a 100 grn round nose is the heaviest Ive loaded. All of my bullets are grease grooved or tumble lubed. I don't PC yet.

Try to buy some from members here to test then buy the moulds for the ones that work best in your firearms. 50 bullets of a given style goes along ways testing.

Boolit Grand Master

I have been loading the 9x19(luger) , 380 auto , 38 special and 357 magnum , with great results with the LEE 356-120-TC boolits sized .357 in all. I use the 9mm taper crimp die on the 38spcl. / 357 mag. rounds ...works like a charm.

Another boolit that works in all of the above is the Lee 358-105-SWC , although designated as a SWC it is actually more like a truncated cone , functions excellently in 9mm/380's again sized .357. And of course 38 spcl. and 357 mag.
    My Walther P38 9x19 prefers it to any other.
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 02-05-2018 at 08:04 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    My only experience with TC bullets is with the Lyman 356402. I agree with Tazman's comments re bullet diameter. Mine drops at about .360", and weighs, with my alloy, about 132 gr.
    I've had this mold for about 40 years and my only issue with it is the lack of a well defined shoulder to cut clean holes. Other than that, it works well.