Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP release

Boolit Bub

HP release

I’m embarassed to ask, as a search for an answer came up with nothing which means I am the only one having this problem.

I cannot get my Lee HP molds to release the boolit from the HP pin. I tried polishing it (not too much to change diameter and have alloy leak past), smoking, commercial mold release, banging it, and grabbing it with gloved hand. The gloved hand worked but had to twist and manipulate so much that the hollow is crooked. Same story on two different molds, .45 230 and .358 158.

Surely there is a trick I have failed to read about. I feel a ‘Doh! coming on, but I give up. Let me have it.

Jeff

I have a mold that is hollow base and is a challenge to cast with also. Try taking a pencil and rubbing the lead an the pin.

Boolit Master

The key is heat. There is a huge learning curve using molds with pin. The pins because of their low mass dissipate heat much faster than the mold blocks. When I first tried using a HP mold I kept a propane torch close by to heat the pins. Did I mention a huge learning curve?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Grand Master

+1 - When I cast HP I cast as fast as possible to keep the pin hot. Cull boolits later!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Yep, what they said, hot and fast. If you have any fat pine, try smoking the pins with that. It's better than anything I have found yet..Best of Luck.

Banned

I sometime even take a propane torch and heat the hp pin up.

Boolit Master
    fat pine???? not familiar with that type is there a more formal name for this type of conifer

I just dip the pin in the alloy in the lead pot when it needs a bit of heat, it's right there at hand.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I sometime even take a propane torch and heat the hp pin up.
    +1 the key is heat which means cast fast, preheat the mold to hotter than normal temperatures raise the pot temperature 25-50 degrees and add a little extra tin to the melt. Your boolits should be frosty and you should dump them as fast as possible Ideally with 4 seconds or less between boolits. As soon as the sprue changes color, cut it and dump the boolit.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 01-30-2018 at 03:19 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Banned
    Coat/cover the pin with #2 pencil lead (graphite)

Quote Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
    fat pine???? not familiar with that type is there a more formal name for this type of conifer
    I could not figure out how to describe it so I did a google...

Fatwood, also known as "fat lighter," "lighter wood," "rich lighter," "pine knot," [1] "lighter knot," "heart pine" or "lighter'd" [sic], is derived from the heartwood of pine trees. The stump (and tap root) that is left in the ground after a tree has fallen or has been cut is the primary source of fatwood, as the resin-impregnated heartwood becomes hard and rot-resistant over time after the death of the main tree.

Boolit Master

Mold release, or a graphite spray might help.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master

One thing that can affect release is if the pin isn't truly straight has a low spot in it or ring in it. Polish lines running around it can cause grip also polish lines should be parallel to the pin to aid release. A light polich with tooth paste flitz or simichrome by hand working parallel to the pin may help here.

The above issues arnt a sticking or heat issue but are a mechanical lock from the leads close fit to the pin.

I don’t have that problem with my map hollow point molds

Mp molds, darned auto type!

Boolit Bub
    Thanks all. I have tried mold release spray. No help. I did polish the ring away, no help. I am curious how one would dip just the pin into the melt given it is sandwiched by the mold halves pretty closely even when fully open.

Gonna try the graphite and speed up the process if I can get one to release. Also will add some tin. Using mostly magnum shot as my alloy. Makes nice reasonably hard boolits.

Jeff

Dip the pin and then insert. Edit to add, maybe I misunderstand what style of pin you have. I am referring to a pin you pull out of the bottom All mine are that style.
    Last edited by s mac; 01-31-2018 at 09:19 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Graphite (shade it good with a pencil) and then cast fast. Don't stop to look at them, don't stop to cull them, just cast like your arm was on fire and that'll keep the pin hot, since it isn't a removable pin. Faster casting is the key. Dump and go... just to the point before smearing the top of the blocks.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Bub
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7165B17E-C866-4182-A030-95D4D0A10416.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	213147
    Quote Originally Posted by s mac View Post
    Dip the pin and then insert. Edit to add, maybe I misunderstand what style of pin you have. I am referring to a pin you pull out of the bottom All mine are that style.
    Lee HP molds don’t work like that.

No way to dip the pin assembly alone, it is attached to the handles between the mold halves.

Boolit Master

Preheating on a hotplate is how I work with all my hp molds, NOE and Mihec, I do not have a Lee HP but it works for my 1oz lee slug mold as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast