Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fluxing with kitty litter?

Boolit Master

fluxing with kitty litter?

I pulled off a major haul of casting equipment at a swap meet today. One item I got was a Lyman mag 20 furnace ( for a whopping 20 bucks) it works fine but it had a couple of handfuls of what looked like kitty litter in it. I dumped out the loose contents of the pot. Which was some of the litter and a bunch of badly cast .45 cal swc's and there was still litter in the solid lead in the bottom of the pot. This came to the surface when the lead melted. Iv'e always fluxed with beeswax and I have heard of folks using sawdust but fluxing with kitty litter is new to me. I will say that the molten lead was very clean and shiny. Is this a new development cause Iv'e been casting over 30 years and never heard of it.
    Thanks for your input.

I used litter once but it made ***** bullets. Just kidding. I am not big on any think that remains a solid in the melt,litter, saw dust ect. Bee Wax is excellent but spendy for flux. I use lots of parafin as partly used ornamental candles seem to come my way for free. Another alternative is canola oil or peanut oil. It burns a long time and leaves a crust or coating similar to bee wax.
    Last edited by ShooterAZ; 01-29-2018 at 07:13 PM. Reason: language
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master

The kitty litter prevents the rapid oxidation of the liquid lead and its elemental alloyed components. Same concept as putting in a bunch of wax to create a layer of liquid wax to prevent oxidation. You can do the same thing a layer of sawdust. I personally don't do the kitty litter thing. I do most of my fluxing while smelting the lead. I try to keep the casting pot as clean as possible. Once the lead is in my pot I use just the tiniest bit of flux to keep it all liquid and put the oxidized elements back into the melt. Sometimes a blow torch helps.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Kitty litter by its nature is moisture absorbing. I would be wary of putting anything that holds water in my lead pots, I do not want to have a visit from the Tinsel Fairy.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Kitty Litter is basically clay. Bentonite IIRC. (Unless its a shredded newsprint variety?) I use paraffin but am leery of sawdust and doubt I'd use kitty litter...

Can be Bentonite, ordinary clay, shredded paper, silica crystals (and who knows what else is added). Personally, I wouldn't use it, stick to what you know works well for you.

I use it all the time. It is the unscented kind without any additives or just regular oil absorbent (same thing, I think).
    I only use clean lead that has been smelted, fluxed twice and poured into ingots in my casting pot. The Kitty litter makes a barrier to atmospheric air and stops oxidation same as the others but with out the smoke. When using a 2 cavity mold, I just throw the sprues back into the melt through the litter and they do not splash lead. Using a 6 cavity mold, the sprues start to build up too fast and they start to build up pretty thick. I can take a break from casting and stir them back into the melt using a wooden stick.
    As for being hydroscopic, I usually refill my casting pot full when I finish casting. When I get ready to cast it takes a while for the pot to melt all the lead, maybe this gives it enough time for the heat to drive off all of the moisture in the clay. All I know is that I have never had a visit from the tinsel fairy in my casting pot using kitty litter/oil absorbent.
    jmsj

Boolit Grand Master

I've never used kitty litter because I've always been concerned about any moisture that it might attract. But other casters report that it works. I've always had access to wax (paraffin) and sawdust so alternatives were never needed. I only use sawdust in my smelting pot, never in my bottom pour casting pot.

I use kitty litter on top of the pot to stop oxidation but I do not see how you use it as a flux it stays on top of the mix in the pot D Crockett

Boolit Master

After reading all these posts I'm getting the feeling you are talking about clean kitty litter

think I've found my problem

NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    After reading all these posts I'm getting the feeling you are talking about clean kitty litter

think I've found my problem

Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Why bother!!!!!!!! Pine sawdust is everywhere! Litter is moisture absorbing clay (generally bentonite) and will NOT flux or reduce anything at all!!!!!!!!!

Get some pine sawdust and bees wax (candles/crayons/parafin if you are really cheeeeep) and do what all of us have been doing for many generations!!!!!!!! Why deviate from the established norm.

Banger

Boolit Master

I've used kitty litter as a barrier to prevent oxidation for years and it does a great job. I leave it in the pot until it starts to break down and get powdery. Then I change it. I've never had a problem with moisture as the gradual heat from melting the alloy dries the litter.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by D Crockett View Post
    I use kitty litter on top of the pot to stop oxidation but I do not see how you use it as a flux it stays on top of the mix in the pot D Crockett
    This is the correct answer. When the melt it up to temp, it is fluxed and the litter it added which floats on top as a barrier to air. The negates the need for continued fluxing. I have done this for many years. I also preheat lead ingots that go in the pot as needed. They go down through the litter and there is no need to reflux. Lots of us old timers have done it this way for a long time.

Again, the litter is not used as a flux.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Been using clay based cat litter on top of the pot for years. Lets sprues and reject boolits in but keeps air out.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    IMHO Char-gar and Shepard2 have it right. If you use ingots that have been well fluxed and stirred when they were made, a layer of bentonite cat litter on the top of the mix in your pot negates all most all of the oxidation that occurs during a pour. It also allows you to "float in" ingots warmed on the rim of the pot without any further fluxing so you can go through a 100 lb or so in a master caster without interruption. I just stack the ingots on top of each other as I add them, pre-warmed from the rim of the pot, and let them settle down through the cat litter as they melt, stopping to stir only very occasionally. This keeps the alloy clean and at a pretty constant temp. At the end of a session I'll stir the pot well and any gas checks or other **** that snuck in there comes up into the bentonite where you can easily scoop it off without carrying away any of the alloy below.

BD- Moosehead Lake? As in Greenville, as in Maine, as in 45deg. North?

I just don't think so

Boolit Master
    I get it now. Its a anti-Oxidizer so to speak that prevents air from corroding the lead underneath it. I also noted it acted like a heat barrier that pot went from cold & solid to ready to pour in record time. I think I just adopted a new technique at least for that pot. I might put some in my drip o matic too but that will be for the neighborhood cats now that I have a good furnace.
    Thanks All

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast