Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RL19 in the 45/70

Still looking for a load for this powder,

Have found loads for Imr 4350 and 4831 using 42.2 with a 500 gr bullet getting 1250 fps, Would not Reloader 19 give almost equal results with the same charge ?

Boolit Master
    This is where you are going to have to grab yourself by the seat of the pants and the nape of the neck and throw yourself in load development.
    For example, newest Lyman manual, 405 gr 457193, Remington cases and Remington primers they list 55 gr of Varget for 26300 CUP. Which is a compressed load.
    You know that R19 is significantly slower.
    This is where the brain work comes in. I would start at 55 gr R19 and load two at that charge and two at 56 on up till I got to 60 gr. I would fire them looking for pressure signs (don't worry you won't find any high pressure signs at 60 gr.) and if all is well and you have a chrono (you should have one since they don't cost an arm and a leg now) work on up.
    It is that simple. You don't have to sit by the computer waiting on data from someone and your time will be better spent as you will be learning something too.
    You will more than likely can't get enough of R19 in the case to hurt anything but caution is still in order.
    Try it. See what you can accomplish yourself.
    None of this is rocket science. If It were Elmer Keith, JD Jones and a whole host of others would still be waiting.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 02-06-2018 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    This is where you are going to have to grab yourself by the seat of the pants and the nape of the neck and throw yourself in load development.
    For example, newest Lyman manual, 405 gr 457193, Remington cases and Remington primers they list 55 gr of Varget for 26300 CUP. Which is a compressed load.
    This is where the brain work comes in. I would start at 55 gr R19 and load two at that charge and two at 56 on up till I got to 60 gr. I would fire them looking for pressure signs (don't worry you won't find any high pressure signs at 60 gr.) and if all is well and you have a chrono (you should have one since they don't cost an arm and a leg now) work on up.
    It is that simple. You don't have to sit by the computer waiting on data from someone and your time will be better spent as you will be learning something too.
    You will more than likely can't get enough of R19 in the case to hurt anything but caution is still in order.
    None of this is rocket science. If It were Elmer Keith, JD Jones and a whole host of others would still be waiting.
    Sounds like a plan !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    I agree. This load may or may not get you what you want, but you will not know if you do not try. I do not think you can cram enough RL19 in there to be dangerous and keep the bullet seated.

Rosewood
    Evangelical, deplorable redneck and proud of it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Heard back from Accurate powder, they were of no help. Said go to Reloader #7. So much for their support.

Should they have taken a guess or done a testing program just for you? It should be usable, but would definitely be at its best as a heavy-bullet, full-power load, and probably a bad one for 325r. or with part-filled cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    Should they have taken a guess or done a testing program just for you? It should be usable, but would definitely be at its best as a heavy-bullet, full-power load, and probably a bad one for 325r. or with part-filled cases.
    Being one of their products, a person would at the least think they could give you a working load. I told them what bullet I would like to use and in what rifle.

Boolit Master
    I contacted Hodgdon about using the new CFEBLK in 30 carbine and they didn't recommend it. I thought it would be a good powder since it is just slower than H110 which is the common powder for the 30. Sometimes, they just haven't done testing or determined it wasn't the best choice.
    Evangelical, deplorable redneck and proud of it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12