MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Powder Recommendation for mild target loads in .223 for an AR-15

Boolit Buddy

Powder Recommendation for mild target loads in .223 for an AR-15

I'm shooting a 16" AR-15 with a 1-9 twist barrel. The boolits I'm casting are 55 grains, gas checked.

Reading around a bunch, I'm finding the amount of opinions around about which powders will and won't work to be quite overwhelming.

I understand I want enough pressure to reliably cycle my action, but a fairly light load to get me into the 1800 fps range for optimal accuracy since I'm using quenched WW alloy and powder coating.

My goal is to get practice rounds that are very accurate, can be cranked out quickly and inexpensively, and don't require special stuff like Dacron filler which would slow me down significantly to load. I don't care about hitting certain benchmarks for velocity or ballistics, I just want to cycle reliably and punch paper accurately out to about 200 yards max. When I want to shoot further than that, I'll go for a heavier projectile.

Anyone who is successfully running cast through their AR have recommendations on powder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Currently in the process of developing the "perfect" cast .223 load for my AR-15. Click here to follow my progress

I have a 2-3 MOA load for my 225-61 Elvis Hi-Tek coated projectile that I'm pretty happy with. (It's probably a bit better but I haven't measured it again) I was liking CFE223 but am finding the carbon build up pretty bad so I'm going to go back to H4895 and see how that goes. W748 was one I was pulling for but had fair results with as well that I may revisit in spring. Post up some results when you get going. Even the bad results give us good info.

Cheers,

Kraken Fan #69

Boolit Mold
    I have found a Saeco mold #221 62grain sized to .225 with gas check and traditional Saeco lube and a COAL of 2.160 over 19 grains of AA2230 are tack drivers out of my RRA 16" 1 in 9 twist. They average 2150fps. I let several people shoot my gun with these load and at the end of a 30 round mag the look is the same. Grin ear to ear followed by you can't miss with this thing

Boolit Buddy

TAC 17.5-18.3 grains

Boolit Buddy
    For practice rounds in 55gr I use h335, for precision I use TAC and 75gr bthp.

Boolit Master
    I get about 1800 fps using either the Lyman 225646 or the NOE 225-55 FN (both gas checked) using 5.8 grains of either HP-38 or W231. My rifle isn't an AR but it has the 1:9 twist and is very, very accurate with this load (consistent five shot groups under 1/2 inch at 50 yards with open sights and without a full benchrest)
    Hick: Iron sights!