MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 40 10mm Owners

Boolit Buddy

Glock 40 10mm Owners

After last years announcement by Springfield about releasing a 10mm XD got me excited but after waiting for months, I may just move on to the G40 with the MOS.

Just checking to see how everyone likes them ?

Any issues with having a reflex mounted ?

Give me the good, bad and ugly!

Thanks in advance

Boolit Buddy
    Only complaint I have is the Glock trigger but that's a complaint on all my Glocks. Works plenty good enough for what I do which is target practice and occasionally carry it looking for deer in a chest holster. I put a KKM barrel in mine and shoot 100% cast bullets from the OREO mold. Mine weigh out at 180, 185 and 190. It has a Vortex Optic and the only issue noted was to make sure the battery cap is tight or it will shake it loose.

I shoot the Ruger SR1911 10mm TXCOONDOG, but am also considering the G40 MOS. I've shot the G20; what can I say, no surprises here, it's a Glock. My only complaint is that I will have to plunk down at least another $120 for an aftermarket barrel for the G40 to shoot cast boolits. The Ruger shoots CB just fine, only complaint is 8 rounds vs. 15 for the G40. Always, there's a compromise.

Boolit Master

I have one with KKM threaded barrel and burris fast fire III. Shoots very well. Running a suppressor also. Most loads are 200 and 220 cast around 1000 or 1050. Factory barrel shot well before I swapped it out. Most loads are 40 brass with long seated boolits to 10mm length. Yes it does headspace in the extractor, but it's not a duty/SD sidearm, so I'm ok with that. I have a spare extractor in my parts box for when it breaks, if ever.

Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    Most loads are 40 brass with long seated boolits to 10mm length. Yes it does headspace in the extractor,
    Yikes! Is 10mm brass THAT hard to come by?

Boolit Master

No, but my Starline brass I actually paid for and .40 brass was free. I have 75-100 lbs of 40 brass.

My high end loads for hunting all 10mm brass

Boolit Buddy
    I do have a RIA 6” Model 52,000 which is a double stack in 10mm. I sold a G20 with a KKM barrel, upgraded trigger group, wolff spring w/ SS guiderod and Trijicon night sights.

The RIA weighs nearly 3lbs unloaded and I do not want to mill my slide for a reflex.

After putting a reflex on my Ruger Mark III and hitting targets with double the speed and distance, I’m digging it!

With the G40 only weighing 5 oz more than the G20, having a 6” barrel and being optic ready.....got me thinking about buying one.

Boolit Master
    MOS 40 with a 7" KKM Barrel will absolutely fill your needs. I would suggest a few things;

Double Diamond chest rig holster.
    Trijicon RMR redot sight the dual power one is more expensive but worth the money.
    KKM aftermarket 7" Barrel tight chamber great rifling for lead, excellent velocity with 200 grain WFN boolits.
    Ultimate drop in trigger Kit Pyramid Trigger Systems

Mine is setup as such and is a tack driver from the bench and off hand. Easy to shoot very accurate great capacity, Easy to carry, reliable.

Do not hold your breath on the Springfield XDM 10mm I think they are going to have to beef up that platform because it is easy to hot rod the 10mm. I would rather get a Ruger RedHawk and rechamber it to 10mm magnum. Then again just buy the 41 magnum or a Reeder 41 GNR which is the 44 necked down too 41.

I am fan of the 10mm because it is a semi automatic handgun it has excellent power and when loaded are but to its potential is an accurate excellent hunting and self defense rig.

It interesting I have a TC carbine barrel in 10mm and get very close to the same velocity from my 7" Glock 40 as I do from the 18" TC or the Kriss vector 16" withe the 200'grain Power Pistol loads.

Athe increase over the stock barrel is about 100 FPS it seems the tight chamber and extra bbl length exceeds the average 50 FPS/inch rule. With the rifle barrels I might hit the point of diminishing returns.

I had a G40, might have been a bad one but I sent it down the road. Trigger never broke in, targets looked liked buck shot, tried factory ammo and reloads and couldn't get along with it. I had 4 Glocks at the time and only have a G19 now and haven't looked back. Decided I wasn't going to buy all extras because the baseline was so bad to start with.

Maybe things would've been different if I bought a G20 instead. But that's the way the cookie crumbled for me.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Grand Master

Glock 40 10mm Owners

What's the purpose for wanting the 40? If it's for hunting or target shooting it's fine. If it's for woods carry it's a bigger heavier gun compared to the 20. I went w/ the 20SF for this reason. For hunting purposes the 40 would be better option.

I have a stock barrel in the G20SF and it shoots cast just fine. It doesn't lead like the rumors say it should. And it sees a healthy diet of full power loads w/ 800-X. I do have an aftermarket barrel for it. But it's in 357 Sig. Now that one is fun to shoot

Boolit Master
    There probably close to the 100 different 10MM handguns on the market now. Waiting for a gun that might eventually get introduced doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I bought a used model 20 and it's a great gun. If I hadn't got such a good deal in the 20 I would have gotten the 40.

Worst case scenario is that you buy the model 40 and the Springfield eventually comes out and you can sell the Glock if needed to buy the Springfield. Most Glocks hold their value pretty well.

Boolit Man
    From what I've heard their chambers are horrible on the brass. I went with an ria double stack in 10mm and can't complain one bit. The steel controls the recoil a little better too imo

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

On my G20, the chamber is no better or worse than my other 10mm. Glock has increased the chamber support on the later ones. I have no complaints.

Boolit Buddy
    Any recommendations for a G40 hunting holster ?

Banned

Diamond D Leather

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Diamond D Leather
    I've heard great things about Diamond D Leather.

However, I have a Gunfighter's Inc Kenai kydex chest rig that I really like. I didn't want leather due to being out in adverse conditions and sweat. The kydex solved the inclement weather. LOL.

https://gunfightersinc.com/products/...chest-holster/

Banned

^^^ makes sense if you have a gun that they build for.

Boolit Man
    I have a few Glocks. Carried them for duty weapons for a long time. I must have 8 or so in .40 cal. I don't have the G40 mos but I do have the G41 MOS. seems to shoot pretty well. I have just started coating my bullets and hopefully they will do fine in the G-locks . I will be shooting a couple matches with the 41 with a burris reflex sight on it this summer. If it does well, I will post something. If it doesn't do as well as I would like, I may just move it down the road. I have talked to some folks who just hate on the Glocks, I guess I can't complain about it any, other than some don't seem to like cast bullets very much. I carry a little 27, and I think I have taken 3 coyotes with it while bird hunting. So I got no real complaints. Just not very purdy........

Boolit Master
    I may buy a 10mm barrel and put it on my G21, with a 22lb recoil spring.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    What's the purpose for wanting the 40? If it's for hunting or target shooting it's fine. If it's for woods carry it's a bigger heavier gun compared to the 20. I went w/ the 20SF for this reason. For hunting purposes the 40 would be better option.

I have a stock barrel in the G20SF and it shoots cast just fine. It doesn't lead like the rumors say it should. And it sees a healthy diet of full power loads w/ 800-X. I do have an aftermarket barrel for it. But it's in 357 Sig. Now that one is fun to shoot
    I mounted a Deltapoint Pro Friday. Monday I should received a 20lb RSA. I’m going to run the OEM barrel just to see how it performs. My only concern is Glock smiles from full power loads (200 gr WFN @ 1300 fps). I’m going to work up to full power loads......I will see if there is actually enough chamber support.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast