RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Whats a non-reciprocating side charge upper

Boolit Master

Whats a non-reciprocating side charge upper

We use Mid State Firearms for our AR builds and I saw they have a non-reciprocating side charge upper. If that upper is what I think it is then that is a left handers(me) dream come true. You still can pull the bolt back and lock it in place, correct? All that is missing is the t handle thing on the top inside of upper? This sounds to good to be true if I know anything (which might not be much)! I love Mid States Firearms promptness and quality not to mention prices. I absolutely cannot believe I got hooked on these darn black stuff at my age!!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

Yes, handle stays put, but it's on the left side though, but I'm used to using right handed rifles. They have a vid posted.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

Not a bad approach for someone accustomed to a FAL or a BAR, but it's worth noting that there are now A LOT of different charging handles for AR's - several of which are cleverly engineered so a lefty can run them with his right hand. Training doctrine for the AR has evolved quite a bit since the '60's, and it's now pretty typical to leave your shooting hand on the pistol grip for charging, reloads, and most malfunction drills. This allows you to stay shouldered, on the sights, and near the trigger for most of what you might have to do to keep the gun running. Might make more sense to change out the charging handle than go to a radically redesigned, non-standard set of parts. Just my $0.02.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Yes, handle stays put, but it's on the left side though, but I'm used to using right handed rifles. They have a vid posted.
    me too, dont care for a handle way forward on the lh side after years of using normal firearms.

Boolit Master
    I like the look of it! I’ve always thought the standard AR charging handle was very awkward, while I’ve gotten used to the charging handle it’s still very different. You also can’t run the handle with your cheek on the stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Master

I like it, I even like it on the left, no need to move your hand off the firing position.

I recently got a Left Side Charging Handle for my SCR. The intention was to put it on a 24" upper for long range use with the gas block shut off. IE Manual Charging so my good brass doesn't fly all over.

The device works very well with only the problem of locking the bolt back to clear a Type 3 malfunction being the issue on my SCR. Kind of hard to get to the bolt latch on my SCR when your left hand is occupied on the charging handle. This device does also allow you to work the bolt in the normal fashion so you can use your left hand to lock the bolt or if your AR has a BAD lever you can lock it that way. It was a $135 from Devil Dog Concepts and is nicely made and works as advertised. It clamps on the Pic Rail and doesn't alter the firearm in any way. https://devildogconcepts.com/

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I was looking at your thread and thought that is for me a lefty but then I saw these nonreciprocating units and I liked them except the price. Over 200 bucks a upper housing only.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Neck: the problem with most side chargers uppers is they won't accept the SCR Bolt Carrier. They are set up for a standard Bolt Carrier Group. The SCR uses a Bolt carrier that is cut off behind the firing pin retaining pin, and there is no place for the charging handle to go.

I got the Devil Dog Charging handle as it works on my SCR or a regular AR and it was only $135 at the time. $140 now.

The SCR is far more friendly to a lefty than the normal AR is. it handles just like a Rem 870/1100, it points naturally and mine runs perfectly. Also the safety is on the trigger guard so it comes more naturally to someone who is used to shooting a conventional firearm as opposed to an AR.

Something to look at . Brownell's has the Lowers for @ <$600 with the bolt carrier. You add your AR Upper and Bolt and mags and away you go. I would recommend some kind of optic as the SCR's sight plane is not like an AR, it is like a Rem 1100 so something that is down on the top of the receiver is what I needed.

Note where the TRS 25 is located on my gun . A low mounted Scope or Red Dot is the ticket.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com