WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: D-Lead Soap Substitute - What do you wash with?

Boolit Master

D-Lead Soap Substitute - What do you wash with?

I've recently run through my supply of D-Lead soap I use to wash up after smelting/casting. I noticed on a recent Lee product packaging that they suggest using a soap with EDTA or a high phosphate detergent. They also mention detergent used for electric dishwashers. Anyone have insight into this? Is there a brand that is best? I'm tired of paying big $ for D-Lead.

Boolit Master

Here is the de-leading soap that I've used in the past.

https://www.buycleanall.com/clean-allsoapgallon.aspx

Price is a bit more reasonable.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    Try the laundry stain remover “Shout” . I use it on my hands, bore brushes, bore snakes, just about everything. Take it from me though. If the wife uses it on laundry, best to buy your own. Mine tends to get upset when she buys a new bottle only to find it empty cause I used it up and didn’t replace it.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

How 'bout a pair of throwaway nitrile gloves...50 pr. for $7.99 @ Harbor Freight (without coupon)? I keep a box of their 5 mil gloves on my workbench for anytime that I need to handle anything "yucky" and right beside the gloves is a bottle of 'Fast' orange hand cleaner w/pumice for final clean-up.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master
    Lava or dish soap with a dedicated scrubby sponge.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Homemade from scratch lye soap here, last batch has pine tar in it and does an awesome job, smells great, lathers up big. Coconut oil, Olive Oil, and Lard are the main oils although if I have extra corn oil around I may throw some of that in there also.

Great for the skin, does a great job of cleaning, rinses clean quick. No bite or tingle.

I started with a cold process recipe and run it through a hot process after trace to speed things up. (Crock pot) I hate waiting 2 months for soap to cure.

If your interested, PM or email me at billj69@gmail.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    How 'bout a pair of throwaway nitrile gloves...50 pr. for $7.99 @ Harbor Freight (without coupon)? I keep a box of their 5 mil gloves on my workbench for anytime that I need to handle anything "yucky" and right beside the gloves is a bottle of 'Fast' orange hand cleaner w/pumice for final clean-up.

Bill
    I use gloves for some dirty stuff, but I think nitrile gloves would be more dangerous than leather for casting.

Boolit Master
    Gimmick? I have pump bottles of Dawn next to the sinks for hands, brass and dishes.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

A true no-brainer for us old guys....

Boolit Master

The EPA used to use TriSodium Phosphate for lead clean-up, until the greenies banned it. Oddly enough, even though EPA greenies declare it toxic, TSP remains a FDA approved food additive. TSP reacts with lead to form insoluble compounds. I add a few tablespoons to the clothes washer to clean clothes used while cleaning out the bullet traps. It is very caustic so don't use it for hand washing or on painted surfaces you care about. Be sure to get true TriSodium Phosphate (Na3PO4) not the fake greenie label TSP.

Boolit Grand Master

Dawn. Don't overthink the process. You ain't gonna die of lead poisoning if you just wash your hands with Ivory...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Banned

I use dawn dish soap!

Boolit Master
    Whatever's next to the bathroom sink.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    I use dawn dish soap!
    +1 for Dawn
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Homemade from scratch lye soap here, last batch has pine tar in it and does an awesome job, smells great, lathers up big. Coconut oil, Olive Oil, and Lard are the main oils although if I have extra corn oil around I may throw some of that in there also.

Great for the skin, does a great job of cleaning, rinses clean quick. No bite or tingle.

I started with a cold process recipe and run it through a hot process after trace to speed things up. (Crock pot) I hate waiting 2 months for soap to cure.

If your interested, PM or email me at billj69@gmail.com
    My soap recipe is very similar, I got it from Mrs. Sundog years ago, and haven't bought bar soap since.

Mine doesn't seem to need the two month curing time. Maybe because the first time I made any my step dads brother was there and told me when they used to make soap when he was messcranking in the scullery they used it right then.

I do make the next batch when I get down to the last bar or two though.

Robert

I just washed my play clothes in regular detergent with a tablespoon of TSP. Threw In my tennies too, since I had worn that outfit while crawling behind the target stands at our indoor range to salvage lead. For hands, any old soap will work.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

TSP is great for washing painted surfaces prior to painting, a bit too strong for bare skin. Dawn or whatever is handy works for my hands.

Truth be told on more than a few occasions I have forgotten to wash my hands before putting in a dip of tobacco, but I figure the cancer will get me before the lead poisoning does.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Moderator Emeritus

lava.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    TSP is great for washing painted surfaces prior to painting, a bit too strong for bare skin. Dawn or whatever is handy works for my hands.

Truth be told on more than a few occasions I have forgotten to wash my hands before putting in a dip of tobacco, but I figure the cancer will get me before the lead poisoning does.

Yep
    Probably doing it has I am walking into the house to wash my hands!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I always use dish soap as for most other hand washing. What’s the big deal about the special soaps? Why are they supposed to be better ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast