Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Funnel for a powder dropper

Boolit Man
    Central western Virginia where I 77 & I 81 come together

Funnel for a powder dropper

Need a funnel for a powder dropper made from an alum. arrow body. Where can it be bought.
    vita est breves

jerrold

Boolit Master
    I just bought mine at a local hardware store

Boolit Grand Master

For the top or bottom of the tube?
    For the top or the tube a bushing can be made arrow shafts of on the hole .510 or so of and 1/2" long from wood plastic or metal and gled on the shaft even with the end. A Standard rcbs funnel can then be used on the top.

For the bottom a simple tube turned from wood plastic or metal 1" long .625 dia O.D. and a stepped hole shaft dia 3/8" and bore dia thru. WIth a chamfer cut in the other end ( 82* counter sink)and glued on works.

I recently made a new drop tube and tried something different for the bottom funnel. I used a 270 wsm case. Cut it off at the case head and used J-b Weld to size it down to my 3/8" tube and silicone glued it on. The neck sets in the case and the shoulder ( just over .530 dia) centers the case under it. I made sure the tube was square and butted into the shoulder so no gaps to catch restrict flow. This seems to be working very well so far. I use a "soft" glue or light press fit on the lower funnel so it can be removed for disassembly if ever needed.

With a good pipe flaring tool and some heat the end of the tube could be flared to form the funnel also. Working on theoutside of the case you would want the large dia around .560 maybe a little more to use with 50 cal cases.

Boolit Master
    If it’s the top of the tube funnel that’s required you maybe able the get an aluminum Saturn brand funnel from Brownells. These funnels are caliber specific as they have a large brass bushing swagged to the funnel body. It this brass bushing that’s been drilled to fit specific cartridge cases.
    You maybe able order one that has a size to slip fit over the top end of your drop tube. Or order one smaller than your tube and drill it out your self to slip over the tube.

If you need a bottom funnel maybe cutting up a bottle neck rifle cartridge case to salvage the neck, shoulder and part of the case body. The case neck could be stretched to slip over the end of your drop tube.
    I saw a photo where a soft foam disc was pressed over the end of a drop tube. This became a lid for the case during powder filling to prevent powder granuals from bouncing out of the case.
    A metal washer could be sized to fit the tube end and act as a lid for case during filling.

Boolit Master

I use an aluminum arrow shaft with an aluminum funnel on top that I found at local ace hardware, the arrow shaft fits inside a 45 caliber case so close I just use a rubber O ring to seal it to case, just sits on case mouthwith arrow shaft quarter inch inside case, makes a nice 28" drop tube and can get 120 gr of goex 1F in a 45-110 case without any spillage.
    Most archery stores have some old used arrows they will sell cheap or give to you if you ask.

Yep, my drop tube fits inside the case too. 38/55 and 40/65.
    The funnel on top, I made from a Pewter candle stick holder.
    I use a very small hole in mine so the powder only trickles down the tube.

Boolit Master
    I bored a hole in a #00 (I think) rubber stopper, twisted the arrow shaft through it and pushed the stopper into the bottom of an RCBS green plastic powder funnel. Works fine and hasn’t come apart in use yet.

Banned

tape an alum funnel to an alum arrow shaft, make up a simple stand and mount 'er up.

not shown in the below image is the neoprene collar for the shaft end, to keep the kernals from bouncing out.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by greenjoytj View Post
    If it’s the top of the tube funnel that’s required you maybe able the get an aluminum Saturn brand funnel from Brownells. These funnels are caliber specific as they have a large brass bushing swagged to the funnel body. It this brass bushing that’s been drilled to fit specific cartridge cases.
    Ive has good luck with the Saturn. I use a .17 cal with a drop this to get a slow trickle.