Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garands are in ?

Banned
    The first garand purchase for me was in the 60s I paid a tidy sum of 72 dollars and some change for it and 25 enbloc clips. The price now aday is in line with other rifle sales look what sks are selling for I bought 5 of those years ago for 80 bucks a piece with cleaning kits bandoleers and slings.

Boolit Master
    The cmp is still a good deal on garands. $630 for a field grade or $730 for a service grade. Try to buy one like that at a gun show for those prices.

Cmp inspects all the rifles and the price includes shipping and a nice case. If you have a problem with a rifle they are very good to work with.

True, the US taxpayers paid for the rifles originally. But what does it cost to transport from overseas, storage, inspection, sales, shipping, etc?
    If you don't agree with that logic go try to buy a government surplus vehicle. Think they are giving those away for free? There's just not enough garands left to give them away to everyone that wants one. Besides if the gov did that there would probably be a point system if you are black, gay, female then you get more garands out of "fairness".
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master

Love my Garand.... I bought 4 from the CMP, grudgingly sold 2 to to fund other purchases, gave one to my son and still have one (International Harvester).
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

Eyewitness report that the Garands are indeed in: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=222890
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Super Moderator

..............My Garand was one of the Korean re-imports. I had an O-1 FFL at the time. I remember Big 5 Sporting goods was selling 'Shooters' for $250. This was when I was shooting at the range EVERY Tuesday with a few other guys. Man, I tell ya guys would come sailing in with their new 'Shooter' and 3-4 boxes of PMC 150gr FMJ ammo and bang it away. Pack up and walk off to their car. You could use a rake to pick up the brass I'd come in on a Tuesday AM and Kenny the rangemaster would hand me a 5 gallon bucket of 30-06 brass, and it's not like he was giving it all to me by any means!

I bought my Garand from J&G Sales in Prescott, AZ Sept of 1993. They were running an add in the Shotgun News and said to "Ask for John" (or Bill or George). So I called and the first thing he asked was if I was a collector? I said no. All I wanted was one in VG or better mechanical condition as I was simply a shooter. It cost me $450. When it arrived it was about the ugliest thing I'd ever seen I HAD to shoot it and thought of maybe sticking it inside some paper grocery sacks or something. It had a raw piece of Beech or Birch for a buttstock with a large number painted on in yellow paint. A paper thin piece of walnut for a top handguard and the front handguard was an unfinished piece of Beech or Birch.

But holy cow would that thing shoot! You cannot conceive how fast I called up Numrich for a new set of wood for it! And here it is:

The receiver was made in 1943.

The wood is late 'Fat Wood' and SA marked.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Clinton/Gore tried to kill the DCM. The Republicans and some blue dog dems forced them to transfer and allow the sale to fund the CMP. While I much prefer the DCM I will gladly purchase from the CMP to help fund their shooting programs.
    I gave up trying after Clinton went to war with DCM and the 2nd. No matter what paperwork I sent it was rejected. First reject was a new requirement for a certified birth certificate, 2nd was a request for utility bills to prove residence and the final straw was my driver's license and Social Security card. A copy of my DL and SS card was rejected they demanded the license itself and SS card. I went to the shooting qualification with four people, we all gave up. It was obvious that no matter what we sent they'd demand more. My back and forth went on for nine months before I threw in the towel.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ..............My Garand was one of the Korean re-imports. I had an O-1 FFL at the time. I remember Big 5 Sporting goods was selling 'Shooters' for $250. This was when I was shooting at the range EVERY Tuesday with a few other guys. Man, I tell ya guys would come sailing in with their new 'Shooter' and 3-4 boxes of PMC 150gr FMJ ammo and bang it away. Pack up and walk off to their car. You could use a rake to pick up the brass I'd come in on a Tuesday AM and Kenny the rangemaster would hand me a 5 gallon bucket of 30-06 brass, and it's not like he was giving it all to me by any means!

I bought my Garand from J&G Sales in Prescott, AZ Sept of 1993. They were running an add in the Shotgun News and said to "Ask for John" (or Bill or George). So I called and the first thing he asked was if I was a collector? I said no. All I wanted was one in VG or better mechanical condition as I was simply a shooter. It cost me $450. When it arrived it was about the ugliest thing I'd ever seen I HAD to shoot it and thought of maybe sticking it inside some paper grocery sacks or something. It had a raw piece of Beech or Birch for a buttstock with a large number painted on in yellow paint. A paper thin piece of walnut for a top handguard and the front handguard was an unfinished piece of Beech or Birch.

But holy cow would that thing shoot! You cannot conceive how fast I called up Numrich for a new set of wood for it! And here it is:

The receiver was made in 1943.

The wood is late 'Fat Wood' and SA marked.

..............Buckshot
    Beautiful pics Buckshot ....love the looks of that gun !
    Thanks for the input !
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Boolit Master
    I bought a SG Garand some years ago from the DCM for somewhere around $250-$300. After my two boys became teenagers, I went back to the Garand shoot to get a couple of more certificates. Bought two more from the CMP that came in at better condition than their listed grade. The last one that came in was in the high $400 range.

One boy has his. The other one has not asked for his yet (he is busy becoming a millionaire first). With the gun, I included a WWII era ammo box filled with reloaded 30-06 ammo mounted in enbloc clips. I have a couple of other certificates that are unused, but have not gotten anything more. Maybe a 45ACP. Sounds pretty complicated, though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12