WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Which line of Leupold rifles scopes use glass lenses and which use plastic these day?

Which line of Leupold scopes use glass lenses and which use plastic these days?

Which line of Leupold rifles scopes use glass lenses and which use plastic these days?
    Last edited by Just Duke; 01-27-2018 at 08:59 AM.

Banned

I don't know of any leupold scope that ever used plastic lenses. even cheap scopes use glass. Its the quality of the lenses shaping and coatings that make one better then another

Vendor Sponsor

To my knowledge Leupold has never had a rifle scope with plastic lenses
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Interesting. Weight is the enemy of scopes (and mounts and rings). The lighter they are, the less recoil stress they go to relative to their attachment points. I wouldn't be adverse to a polymer lens if a.) they don't yellow over time like the old Balsam optical glue does, and b.) they product better results (or at least as good) as glass.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Grand Master

That sounds like it may be coming in the future but not here yet. I hope they don'y scratch as easy as plastic glasses do.

Boolit Master
    When I was a kid the lenses on my glasses were so heavy they'd right themselves.
    I've worn glasses since I was 5 years old cataract surgery. I've worn glass,plastic,poly carbonate and have found that the poly carbonate though impact resistant scratched the easiest. Also remember your not "wearing" your scope on a daily basis so scratching the lenses is unlikely.

Banned
    So the answer is NO Leupold scopes have plastic lenses.

I would think a hybrid with glass on the outside ends and the new plastic on the inside would give you the best of both worlds.
    You don't need to worry about scratching the inside lenses, if you do the scope is trash already.

Boolit Master

think about it how many decades have they had plastic lens in glasses i have had glass and plastic lens in my glasses for decades and the plastic ones are much lighter and seem to work just fine except some scratch much easier. The last pair of plastic lens have worked fine and don't seem to scratch anymore than the glass ones used too. Weight is the issue with scopes everyone wants the lightest in everything even rifles and pistols only issue is the lighter you go the more you feel the recoil, strange how nobody seems to want to mention that fact many times
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master

I've worn glasses for over 50 years, both glass & plastic. Worked in a machine & steel fabrication shop, can't be worse conditions for glasses; metal chips flying, grinding, welding, etc. The plastic held up to the abuse far better than glass ever did. Saved my eyesight many times. No reason for not using plastic lenses in optics.