Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Ben's LL in a Mec-Tech 16" .45 Rowland

Boolit Master

Ben's LL in a Mec-Tech 16" .45 Rowland

Tuesday I'll be picking up a Mec-Tec 16" carbine on a 1911 frame in .45 Rowland. I'm looking to get about 1,300 fps with the Lee TL 230 grain truncated cone boolit. Do you think that Ben's LL will prevent leading with a WDWW boolit sized to .452? GF

Boolit Grand Master
    2 coats and I wouldn't want to bet against it.

Ben

I suspect you will have no troubles at all with that recipe.

I'd not bet the farm on that, but I won't bet the farm on anything.
    Dad taught me to never bet what you can not afford to lose. Good advice IMO.

My rule of thumb is 14-1500 fps or lower 2 thin coats is fine, above that I prefer a third.

If it needs a gas check give it an extra coat just because.

Have fun with that.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the responses. I think I will also try the Lee 250 RNFP which should probably work to 1,200 fps and if I need more power than that I'm in the wrong place. GF

Maybe. I got leading with PB AC soft alloy in 40SW & 30/30. GC solved the leading problem in 308 but ~2"@50 yds. 3 coats.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Boolit fit is King. Lube is important and Ben’s lube has not let anyone down that didn’t try to overrun the lube. If you get leading try size .453

Best of luck n be safe, Mike

Boolit Grand Master
    I know a few people who have shot BLL (alone with no other lube on the bullet ) on 270 gr. cast bullets out of a 35 Whelen at 2400 - 2500 fps with great accuracy and little to no leading.

Is that what I planned when I invented BLL..............NO !
    I wanted an easy to make , easy to use liquid lube that would work well up to 1,400 fps. I thought that people on a budget that were not in a position to buy an expensive lube sizer would be able to use BLL on their cast bullets and still be able to shoot and enjoy their own cast bullets without the added expenditure of a lube sizer.

Can 1,400 fps be exceeded......obviously when all the parameters are near perfect, YES ! But, that was no what I initially envisioned.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 01-29-2018 at 12:18 PM.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, that's why I should have got the NOE sizers as opposed to the Lee. I get some leading with my 16/1 alloy even at modest velocities in my .357's sized @ .358 with two coats. But, that little bit of leading brushes right out with just a normal easy cleaning.

Today I'm trying out my .44 sp. BHFT 5.5" with the same alloy sized to .430 - we shall see how she goes.

Boolit Grand Master
    Some .44's continue to lead until they get a .431 " or a .432" cast bullet. Then the leading stops.

Ben

Ran my .308 mauser up to 2600 fps. with 3 coats of BLL last year with a 30xcb boolit and straight ww alloy heat treated...no leading. Not even a hint and still had a lube star on the muzzle.

With the 12 twist bbl. and straight ww alloy, best accuracy was at 2450 fps.
    though. That load will drive a nail at @ 100yds.
    BLL has never failed for me, nor has Ben's Red. Right alloy and boolit fit has tripped me up a time or two along the way though lol! At least as far as best accuracy was concerned.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Some .44's continue to lead until they get a .431 " or a .432" cast bullet. Then the leading stops.

Ben
    Your lube has been working wonderfully. With two parts 16/1 and 1 part linotype, I can shoot the "Skeeter" load in my 44 spc. with no leading. I only loaded 10 of those because I prefer a milder load but it was enough to see that the lube works well. I also use it on my powder coated boolits before sizing. Tumble lubing is fast and effective. Thank you Ben.