Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Where to buy BHN 10 Powder Coated Boolits

Boolit Man

Where to buy BHN 10 Powder Coated Boolits

BHN 10 is perfect for revolver loads that come in under 16,000 PSI. The boolit is soft enough for the base to expand and fill the throat to prevent leading. While I cast most boolits myself I hate casting small ones, like a 313 100 grain LRNFP. The only commercial caster I can find that sell BHN 10 boolits is Desperado Bullets. I've used them for years but I'd really like a powder coated boolit and they don't do powder coating.

Does anyone know of a commercial caster selling BHN 10 powder coated boolits?

Banned
    Not sure you'll be able to find one. They go with hardball - 15-16 bhn because it keeps the boolits from deforming during shipping and is a one size [hardness] fits all -- sortof.
    Don't know of a commercial caster that powder coats. They all go HiTek coating [which has been around for over 20 years or Lube
    Casting machine ( a VS here) might be able to accommodate you.

If you cast already, powder coating is an easy / low cost process.

Boolit Buddy

I'm wondering why you want powder coat if you've already got a bullet that don't lead your barell. I especially like a 10 hardness in my 38 special loads and I get no leading from them using BLL and a light load of Bullseye. PC does a really good job preventing lead build up but I don't use it im not leading the barell already. This "money saving" hobby is expensive enough without me adding to it unnecessarily. That being said I do coat harder bullets and get very good results from doing it. You can even remove the lube from commercial bullets and then PC them if you want. I try to stick to those processes that either improve accuracy or those that prevent problems. I don't want to discourage the Op from his quest and wish him good fortune in his handloading endeavors. Be safe.
    Jeff

Boolit Buddy
    When you powder coat, don’t you by default heat treat/ harden the bullet?

Boolit Buddy
    http://missouribullet.com/results.ph...0&secondary=17

These are 12 but I have found that they work great.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by shootinfox2 View Post
    When you powder coat, don’t you by default heat treat/ harden the bullet?
    No.

10 minutes or so is NOT enough to heat treat Pb alloys.......even water dropping. Read up on that on here. There is tons of info for you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    No.

10 minutes or so is NOT enough to heat treat Pb alloys.......even water dropping. Read up on that on here. There is tons of info for you.
    10 min baking the coating is enough to remove any gains you get by quenching after you cast but now long enough to get the alloy up to where it need for quencing to work so all your doing quenching after casting is cooling your boolits and risking contamination that might affect the PC adhering correctly
    Last edited by Grmps; 01-29-2018 at 01:58 AM.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by jedomejd View Post
    I'm wondering why you want powder coat if you've already got a bullet that don't lead your barell.
    Jeff
    Jeff, that is a very good question. Making me think why I do want powder coated bullets. I guess no lead vs a very small amount of leading is maybe the reason. I typically shoot anywhere from 100 to 300 rounds at the range through my 32-20. It's an early 20th century Colt SAA, the barrel has pitting and there is always some amount of lead in the pits. It's a PIA to clean. My other guns always have some very small amount of leading that cleans easily. I've tried powder coating my own bullets in other calibers and they really leave a clean barrel. However powder coating is a messy PIA chore (worse than lubing) so I don't even do it anymore in my own cast bullets.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by rond View Post
    http://missouribullet.com/results.ph...0&secondary=17

These are 12 but I have found that they work great.
    I ordered some tonight to try them. Thanks.